DIY Hoverboard

benj

100 W
I'm sure a lot of you will see this, and I know it's silly and stupid - but how about a theoretical discussion on this and how it could be improved?

http://mrhoverboard.com/blog/

[youtube]8dflaK2OgNg[/youtube]

Leaf blowers! OK, so it's just a mini-hovercraft, but I'm surprised these blowers have got enough power. I wonder how an RC jet or EDF engine compares?

I did a tiny bit of research on this before, but decided it would probably cost about £5k to lift a human and the batteries required. Anyone else got any thought?

Mini Jet engines = too noisy
EDF engines come to mind:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Alloy_EDF_w_Metal_Rotor1300kv_3300w_8S_.html

Controlling direction of a hoverboard really interests me. It's all so comical right now, but I'm sure it will be solved. I'm not a fan of having wheels contact the ground, but perhaps that's really the best option for now.

My brain tells me that directional thrusters would a fun option to explore, but not sure how effective that would be. Perhaps directional thrusters linked to a hand remote so you steer using a thumbstick, rather than leaning? Leaning would be preferred but with minimal ground clearance it becomes a problem.

So, throw away your inhibitions, forget about the price tag, get creative and surely all the clever folks round here have got some thoughts on this?! :D

sure I'll bite..

maybe a rocketpack? thrusters?
if there is no friction with the floor we need to break newton's first law with something .. maybe the same thrusters..
maybe some like these
ScreenHunter_62 Dec. 16 12.29.jpg
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41695__Dr_Mad_Thrust_120mm_12_Blade_Alloy_EDF_650kv_Motor_6300_watt_12s_.html
promises 8 kgs of thrust..
100 kg user
16 kg vehicle
8 kgs in 12s batts+esc
1 back thruster, 1 truster in each arm...
15 trusters for lift..

well under the 5k limit...

also move to ice or water as opposed to pavement... in pavemente everybody says this is stupid cause they can walk/roll on it....
on water or ice it will look.. well ... Godly

Have you seen the new hover boards or hover bikes? Someone built a drone that was capable of lifting someone who is about 150 pounds, ( I cant find the video) but it is impractical, as well as those propeller thrusters.

Heres a link to the hover bike. This shows how much thrust it would take to get off the ground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHGlel4CHJI

The new hoverboard they have is build with electromagnets which is the most practical way to make one.

If you were looking for something that would be similar to how the back to the future board flys that would be impossible for its size. I have thought of jet thrusters which would probably get you the lift you needed but those are very expensive. If a guy can strap 2 on wings to his back and fly then it could be possible to angle 4 on a board or bike type design to get into the air. Any of these designs seem far from realistic, but if you had the money to invest then it would be worth a shot. The possibilities are endless though.

There is a huge difference between gliding on an air cushion and real flying, so replace the leaf blowers with edfs and it might work, but you wont actually 'fly'. Would really love to see something like that on water, will make quite a fuzz with the air blubbling out below it I think. someone do it please :)

beto_pty said:
sure I'll bite..

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41695__Dr_Mad_Thrust_120mm_12_Blade_Alloy_EDF_650kv_Motor_6300_watt_12s_.html
promises 8 kgs of thrust..
100 kg user
16 kg vehicle
8 kgs in 12s batts+esc
1 back thruster, 1 truster in each arm...
15 trusters for lift..

well under the 5k limit...

also move to ice or water as opposed to pavement... in pavemente everybody says this is stupid cause they can walk/roll on it....
on water or ice it will look.. well ... Godly

What's te formula for figuring out how much trust you need?

Having flown electric rc planes for years and having tried many different configurations with scratch builds, I'd say edf's are far too inefficient and weak compared to a standard prop for the same energy and motor sizes. As long as there was a safety cage or housing to cover the blade (like on powered paragliders) then it would be fine

All very interesting - thanks for chipping in everyone :)

I found some electric RC helicopters lifting up a person with no bother at all:

[youtube]77uK19KxMuI[/youtube]

And yes the hover bike is awesome, very Star Wars :) I see they moved from 2 fans to 4, which sounds much better to me. Definitely following that project with a close eye!

I suppose all I'm thinking is a typical quad copter, but you stand on top of it :shock: :lol: In a funny way that isn't much different to what we've been doing here - standing ontop of an RC car - except we use a skate deck....now it's next level...let's stand on top of a quad copter :lol:

I don't think flying would be a great idea - too dangerous for now - but hovering/gliding, yes!

BTW please remember this is just a fun theory thread, I'm not looking to build anything, so it's all just fun and imagination :)

Back