Doc GOT 100 samples of Titanate LTO cells update 6june 2011

Rollodo said:
BYqSXt8Z said:
batteryspace has some too

https://www.batteryspace.com/Lithium-Titanate-Battery.aspx
You only resurrected a 2.5 year old thread, but okay.

It was the only thread I could find on LTO cells, but now that I searched titanate instead of LTO, I am getting a few more results, but still very little.

BYqSXt8Z said:

But their max C rate for charging is only 5C.. the one I got are 15C.. bt anyway these are useless for me because these have so slow power density!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
BYqSXt8Z said:

But their max C rate for charging is only 5C.. the one I got are 15C.. bt anyway these are useless for me because these have so slow power density!

Doc

where did you get them? What was your cost back then?

I am looking at making a tiny secondary pack (my main one is LiFe 16Ah of the red headways), but now I'd like to make a small but intense pack for anything BUT endurance (which my 9kg pack provides plenty of) that I can play with, but keep the cost down by having the super fast charger, while keeping safety and longevity (so no lico). LTO sound like they fit the bill.

BYqSXt8Z said:
Doctorbass said:
BYqSXt8Z said:

Doc

where did you get them? What was your cost back then?

I am looking at making a tiny secondary pack (my main one is LiFe 16Ah of the red headways), but now I'd like to make a small but intense pack for anything BUT endurance (which my 9kg pack provides plenty of) that I can play with, but keep the cost down by having the super fast charger, while keeping safety and longevity (so no lico). LTO sound like they fit the bill.

I got them directly from the battery research program at the IREQ in Quebec. It was the Doctor itself that gave me these and he said it was a privilege for me to have these. These was developed in Quebec just like some of the very first LiFePo4 anode came from in collaboration with the MIT. The LiFePO4 we know well today was in part developed by the same researcher at IREQ.

Doc

hum... Do you know where he sells them now?

Since you have had a chance to play with them, what is their voltage range? The papers I find online seem to vary quite a bit from paper to paper. Also, how is the discharge curve? Lots of sag?

BYqSXt8Z said:
hum... Do you know where he sells them now?

Since you have had a chance to play with them, what is their voltage range? The papers I find online seem to vary quite a bit from paper to paper. Also, how is the discharge curve? Lots of sag?

he is not a seller he is the researcher that developed them!

Their voltage range is half the normal Li_ion wich is 1.8V. That's about half less power density than the LifePo4.

Doc

Yeah but they are ~4x price of lion INR cells.
We need a lot of kw/h battery capacity cheaply for offgrid systems in case of multiple rainy days in row not insane cycle life and 4x less capacity that last only one day.
I wait what Tesla Gigafactory can offer and then deside my offgrid battery chemistry.

So. First posts in this thread back in May/June 2011.

Master Doc? `Been running these cells as packs all these years? Care to estimate cost per mile (or kilometer) over this time? And stuff like year `round (hot/cold temps) use, or? Peak/continuous/average charge/discharge rates? Any "bad" cells? "Stuff" now starting to "sag" vs fresh/new?

Call me curious. :)

LockH said:
So. First posts in this thread back in May/June 2011.

Master Doc? `Been running these cells as packs all these years? Care to estimate cost per mile (or kilometer) over this time? And stuff like year `round (hot/cold temps) use, or? Peak/continuous/average charge/discharge rates? Any "bad" cells? "Stuff" now starting to "sag" vs fresh/new?

Call me curious. :)

Welll after i got the specs from these cells i was a bit disapointed.. These are 1.8Vdc nominal and 1.0Ah and 5C discharge and 15C charge.. witch is not the very great advantages for ab ebike... So i am keeping these in the original box, untested and unused... I have no interest in using these in a usefull project. Wh/kg is too low and power density too ( 5C and that low Wh/kkg make thsese celsl about equal to Lead acid... but that can cahrge in 4 minutes..

I might put these for sale soon...

Tks Doc! Currently riding low speed trike... so perhaps not as "weight sensitive" as any bike. Will be on lookout for any For Sale messages. :)

Doctorbass said:
Welll after i got the specs from these cells i was a bit disapointed.. These are 1.8Vdc nominal and 1.0Ah and 5C discharge and 15C charge.. witch is not the very great advantages for ab ebike... So i am keeping these in the original box, untested and unused... I have no interest in using these in a usefull project. Wh/kg is too low and power density too ( 5C and that low Wh/kkg make thsese celsl about equal to Lead acid... but that can cahrge in 4 minutes..

Doc,

You might want to advertise the pack for sale on e-skates section! 180Wh 36V and 25A continuous alone are not that great BUT 180Wh with 4 minutes charges and contained weight (aroung 4.3kg battery) will interest people!

Planning a quick stop on the way with the skateboard at a coffee and get fully charged for 4 minutes is rare stuff.

Vanarian said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc,

You might want to advertise the pack for sale on e-skates section! 180Wh 36V and 25A continuous alone are not that great BUT 180Wh with 4 minutes charges and contained weight (aroung 4.3kg battery) will interest people!

Planning a quick stop on the way with the skateboard at a coffee and get fully charged for 4 minutes is rare stuff.

From a cell quantity/volume/mass perspective, the energy you take on in 4 minutes even fully charging the cell in 4 minutes is not beyond a factor of 2-2.5x over what a cell like the LG HG2 (3Ah 2C charge >20A capable power cell 18650). This is because when you're only 1Ah, 15C charging is only 15A (where 15A is only 5C on the HG2), and you need ~35-40% more cells to equal the same pack voltage.

In other words, you can build packs that hold ~4.x the energy per size/mass, yet only have a charge time vs added energy disadvantage of 2-2.5x (so 8-10minutes to take on the same quantity of energy as the titanate pack holds when fully recharged). So it takes you a few minutes longer to take on the same energy, but you also hold 4x more energy if you top-off.

Titanate is still very cool for many applications that demand constant cycling.

Back