does anybody know where to get lead acid batteries in canada

ev_nred

100 W
hello,
I am going to convert my bicycle to electirc but need hlep buying barreries. so if you know where to get lead acid batteries in canada for chep please tell me.
thanks,
ev_nred

Since shipping lead acids is so expensive, (heavy) you might look in the phone book for local guys that sell batteries for wheelchairs and scooters. They have the type you need.

But you'd be much happier with anything else if the budget is not that tight. Ebikes-ca in canada is the source for nice nicad battery packs for bikes.

Lead batteries are not suitable for bicycles.

Not once you've tasted lithium, that's for sure. But they are an adquate first step, for those that aren't sure they'll like an electric bike. Kinda tough for some, to start out with a $2000 build on the first bike. Personally, I lasted 30 days before I bought lithium. The lead just wouldn't go far enough.

ev_nred said:
hello,
you know where to get lead acid batteries in canada for chep please tell me.

www.canadiantire.ca/

I agree with Mike though lead aid aint good on a bicycle far too heavy save for lithium.

KiM

Another source for the right type of sla is anywhere that sells replacement batteries for kids electic cars. These are also EV type batteries, unlike the link to home depot that showed a battery for a low amps rate burglar alarm or emergency light. You really will be dissapointed with lead if you get the wrong kind. In my town the kiddie car batteries are found at wallmart, at about the same price as the home depot genisis battery.

Get the nicads if you can, if not, the aotema kits on ebay are the best quality I know of for an ebay kit that comes with lead batteries.

Errrm... Mr.Dogman...Sir? Back up a bit please... Enersys describe their batts listed by Home Depot as for "mobility":
http://www.enersysreservepower.com/productInfoDetail.asp?id=56&brandID=3

...and in their Application Manual for their NP series of SLAs they include under Applications "Portable Lights" and Electric Wheelchairs:
http://www.enersysreservepower.com/documents/US-NP-AM-002_0606.pdf

...Can't believe I'm supporting lead in a 21st-century Lithium world :lol: , but d'you still believe there's better SLA out there for deep-cycle traction use?
Lock

Cheap SLA will not cut the mustard... not for long anyway.

Enersys also includes the Hawker line of batteries, which are often found in EVs; but they are not cheap.

I missed that, I only saw them saying for burglar alarms etc. Yeah, mobility ones woud be DA KINE. The price matches too, a 12 ah 12v sla for $25 would often be for other purposes, and have lighter lead plates inside. Less lead, cheaper. Thick plates for EVs.

Good home depot, my local one only has batts for starting a mower.

TD is right to point out Hawkers et al... The OP specified "chep" which I'm pretty sure is a false economy... But AFAIK it's those "Genesis-style" bricks (Genesis or BB or Powersonic et al) that are normally the default/cheapies that are supplied with the scooter-style ebikes and stand-up scooters and most little EVs...
Lock

hey guys thanks for all the hlep, I have had way to much work to do. can use the battas form home depo (7ah) to make a 24volt 7ah pack to be used with a 13 amp 250 watt motor my goal is 15kmh topspeed and 5 km

thanks,
ev_nred

ev_nred said:
my goal is 15kmh topspeed and 5 km

thanks,
ev_nred

Should get there with such low goals, can wheel faster than that in my wheelie chair LoL...Why
so slow speed ndeed matey?

KiM

ev_nred said:
hey guys thanks for all the hlep, I have had way to much work to do. can use the battas form home depo (7ah) to make a 24volt 7ah pack to be used with a 13 amp 250 watt motor my goal is 15kmh topspeed and 5 km
thanks,
ev_nred

Yes, but only sometimes... :D
Can you recharge after each 5km trip? Will you be pedaling or will trips be motor-only? Any steep hills??? The thing is, your batteries won't be new forever. As they age they lose capacity. And if you buy a small pack just to make the short 5km you will be discharging the batts deeply each trip and this will shorten their life too... Then there's the winters... if you plan to bike in fall/winter/spring the cold air can chill the batts which further reduces the charge... Is the bike kept inside or outdoors? Snow and slush eats up Ahs too...

The other "problem" is you'll be having too much fun with the electric assist and want to make more and longer trips...

Using those Home Hardware batts for comparison, the two 7Ah batts weight together 11.44lbs and cost $37.98 plus taxes, while the larger 12Ah batts weigh together 17.90lbs and will set you back $104.00 plus taxes...

Do yerself a favour and save yer pennies if ya have to but go for more Ahs than those 7Ahs. You'll have a little heavier bike but a much more capable EV and the pack will last a lot longer and still work well in the cold...
Cheers
Lock

EDIT: Also, you'll still be able to use the larger batts when you get fed up with that little 250W motor and upgrade to 400W or 500W wattever :wink:

yep, Lithium is definitely better. In fact, I think a 36v 5AH lifepo4 is better than a 36v12AH SLA battery.

If you only got $150, I'd save that $150 and wait a few more months or whatever and get some lifepo4. Maybe even a 36v10AH lifepo4 would be better than any SLA you get. Even the $240 36v8AH NICD at http://ebikes.ca would be better than any SLA battery. Trust me. I spent about 8 months using SLA and it was horrible. When I got lifepo4, it was like I had a brand new bike.

rosspar....in pickering ontario supply batteries for moped type ebikes.good prices.. check their website....they also supply anderson connectors

time for the answer everyone!

1.KIM : this will be my first motor vehicle (I am only 13) and I want to make sure that if I wipe out on the bike that there will mot be any damage to me :oops: .and if it goes under 32kmh the bike does not count as an ebike and is classified as a goped (the scooters you see kids ride. think razor and so on ) and can be operated on the side walk and I dont need to be over 16 to ride it :twisted: ps (I am not a speed demon matey, not yet anyways! :D ) and if can faster then 15kmh on your wheelchair then a) you most go downhill and not use you brakes or b) your a athlet or c) all of the above I chose c
2. LOCK : yes I can recharge after every trip, the bike will be kept outside, i'll just ride it in summer most likely (I have a disability and I think riding the bike in winter is suicide) and I will most likely not upgrade the motor unless my handling skills improve :x . ps I will most use the motor and my top speed of 15kmh goal is for motor only
3.MORPH: IF i COULD BUILD THIS BIKE WHIT A FREE STARTER MOTOR AND A OLD 12 VOLT BATTERY i WOULD. I am trying to make this as cheap as possible. I will use sla until I get more money or other battery chemistries become cheaper. however if you have a lifepo4 pack you don't mind givingto me then by all means I will use it (joke)
4.kriskros: do you have a link?
thanks for all the help,
ev_nred

ev_nred said:
...this will be my first motor vehicle (I am only 13) and I want to make sure that if I wipe out on the bike that there will mot be any damage to me :oops: .and if it goes under 32kmh the bike does not count as an ebike and is classified as a goped (the scooters you see kids ride. think razor and so on ) and can be operated on the side walk and I dont need to be over 16 to ride it......I have a disability and I think riding the bike in winter is suicide

Buddy, I feel for you... Do you know that right now you can drive an electric scooter (stand-up) in Ontario, on any road OR SIDEWALK, that you don't need a helmet or a licence or insurance. The only catches are... you "need" a disability (check)... you need to be 16 years old ( :( )... and you need $5,000 to buy your scooter from a guy in England`cause he sells the only scooter Ontario/Transport Canada sayz is "safe"(see Segway)... This while millions of cheap scooters are being manufactured and in use elsewhere in the world, and studies report these cheap stand-up scooters are as safe or safer than pedal bicycles???

Does this sound messed up to you? Welcome to 2010 and the past as it sucks today!

I am speaking to you as someone that has surfed Toronto sidewalks for most of ten years on totally e-legal (illegal) scooters... never a ticket or had my vehicles taken away... Empty Toronto sidewalks are SAFE - summer AND winters - it's just that you can't ride them like you ride the streets. More stop and go for safety sake, but the electrics make acceleration (so average trip speeds) easy and fast...or at least faster than public transit and the automobile.

PM me... where are you exactly...I want to hook you up w/folks that will electrify your ride for cheap...
Lock

I will pm you soon thanks! (me parents are doing there taxes so they need the computer)
ps: if I remove the pedals and it goes under 32kmh it is a electirc stand up scooter or rum (restircited ues motorcycle) whice anyone can ride at any age

I have placed an order for 2 12 volt SLA batteries with a company in Hamilton. I can let you know how that works out. Lithium is the way to go but I want to ride while I am saving so I will put up with the SLA batteries for awhile longer . I am riding a used Schwinn Ebike heavy but rugged(I bought the entire bike for less than a 36 volt Lith Battery). I live in the country. When the bike dies I will go with a Lithium set up - prices keep coming down.

Welcome, The pic in my avatar is 7.5 ah lead Weighs about 28 lbs. :oops: It is 48v 22A controller but I can go 7-10 mi. on a charge. I know, pretty lame but if you want cheap- lead will get you going for awhile. If you are only pulling 13 amps they will work. Not sure about km. conversion but 5 km. should be no prob.

GreenLantern said:
I have placed an order for 2 12 volt SLA batteries with a company in Hamilton. I can let you know how that works out. Lithium is the way to go but I want to ride while I am saving so I will put up with the SLA batteries for awhile longer . I am riding a used Schwinn Ebike heavy but rugged(I bought the entire bike for less than a 36 volt Lith Battery). I live in the country. When the bike dies I will go with a Lithium set up - prices keep coming down.
I upgraded my 12AH batteries to 15AH and have noticed a big improvement in charge life. I called absolute battery in Hamilton, gave them the battery # and ordered the new batteries. With shipping for 2 12volt batteries the cost was $145. I got the battery in 3 days. I spoke with allessa and found her to be very helpful. Her email is
allessa@absolutebattery.com

i bought mine here

http://advancedbattery.ca/

Look under ABS Brand, good deal.

Ask for Matt, they work out of Mississauga.

GreenLantern said:
GreenLantern said:
I upgraded my 12AH batteries to 15AH and have noticed a big improvement in charge life. I called absolute battery in Hamilton, gave them the battery # and ordered the new batteries. With shipping for 2 12volt batteries the cost was $145. I got the battery in 3 days. I spoke with allessa and found her to be very helpful. Her email is
allessa@absolutebattery.com

yes they do sell good battery's and good service good guys to deal with :mrgreen:

Back