• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

Also.. when i paid big bucks for my pack,, all the information available now was not there then...

I totally do not agree with what i was shipped.. and i got a replacement pack.. none of this " Ship it back for repair " crap... the cost of shipping back to china and then back to you will not be worth it.

I have to admit to being fairly deflated seeing some of these pics. Although, I do have faith in these packs with better insulation. Again, I want to thank all of you guinea pigs, and prospective ones :), for increasing the reservoir of info. I believe everyone benefits from this process not being inhibited. This place has become such an amazing resource in a very short time period. And perhaps inviting Ping to post here would give an extra boost in confidence.

bikeraider said:
Ypedal,

May be i'm wrong but you have an old used good replacement pack instead of a new one right ?.

So i'm happy for your but it still expensive in both case!
Bikeraider1

Yes, and yes..

Just like PC's used to cost a whole lot more than now.. at the beginning of the year, not only were these packs expensive ( a ripoff ) they were barely available. Now every jim and joe in china has them available at a fraction of the cost.

My paying a premium is why i pushed FalconEV to fess up to his sale, if i had paid 400 $ instead of 1700 $ i likely would have just dropped the issue.... :x

But, regardless of all that, no matter what the price.. be it 100 or 1000, if you play with fire.. wear good gloves !!!!! :wink:

I would like to put a layer of somewhat thin heat & cut resistant plastic between the battery and the heat shrink. Would any battery building guru's out there let me know if this will compress everyhing together and keep it that way? & would it be prudent/ necessary to put a small heat sink on the fets of the bms? I see the rc lipoly packs are generally only held together by shrink wrap? Please & thanks.

Johnbear said:
I would like to put a layer of somewhat thin heat & cut resistant plastic between the battery and the heat shrink. Would any battery building guru's out there let me know if this will compress everyhing together and keep it that way? & would it be prudent/ necessary to put a small heat sink on the fets of the bms? I see the rc lipoly packs are generally only held together by shrink wrap? Please & thanks.

The rc packs are much lighter and alot less weight involved, the amount of heat produced by ballancing a 1000mah pack vs a 20,000 mah pack is not as much, so a heat sink is not always required..

Depending on the amount of imballance the bms has to correct, the amount of heat produced will vary, without seeing the bms and how it's made it's hard to tell..

I"m not an engineer, or a gury, or an expert by any means, so if anyone has a better idea, please speak up , i could use the info here as well..

But i've had my share of close calls with all kinds of stuff over the years, kinda like the mythbusters " Don't try this at home, but check this out !! " :D I've nearly ended myself many times before and have learned to be on the side of caution at all times when i have limited control over the situation. :mrgreen:

Those cells are like a soft soda can, even thinner, the corners will get rounded off and squished over time if the whole pack is not suported from all sides.. and this is the challenge.

I ended up using double sided tape and covered the cells in a rubber layer, then more tape and a hard plastic shell i salvaged from the original box.. this in turn was going to be wrapped in a diamond plate aluminum box.. but it never got that far.

Proabably not wanted here on this post any more -but just think about putting these soft pouches in a restricted hard shell case ? If one of these "pouches" expands which they are prone to do, then what happens to their brother cells ? Just something to consider when you build your hard shell cases. You might want to build for expansion if you get my drift?

Don

This case may work for some people if their battery is this size - If it is safe?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4065

Water Proof / Fire Retardant Enclosure: 375 x258x104 (mm) P/N (10-48)2005614943210.jpg

Johnbear said:
This case may work for some people if their battery is this size - If it is safe?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4065

Water Proof / Fire Retardant Enclosure: 375 x258x104 (mm) P/N (10-48)

Actually I bought 2x36v 10ahr Lipos from Batteryspace.com and they worked very well in 72v series, probably a bit overkill power for the x503. Someone stole them a few weeks later :(

I can buy a very nice road bike for $2000 and I do peddal

That's my point. I do not see spending thousands on a DIY battery budget project when it's game for thieves. I cannot park it anywhere without prying eyes at supermarkets etc..

With Ping's batteries, the best best is to use the BMS when charging and keep the discharge limit under 35A with either resettable fuses or <=35A controller. When I get my 48vx20ahrs I will seriously consider what I said above.

Nog

Which pack did you get as the pack i'm getting has a max discharge rate of 60a! The one I've ordered from Ping is a 48v 20aH pack.

It might be the BMS you got that has a lower capacity... possibly even 25a.

All but the 20 amp hour packs had a older BMS

It had a 20 amp consitant .. the bigger packs had 30 amp with 60 peak...

I was running mine in the flats with a 408 so it really never pulled any amps..... I think John is running a older 20 amp controler as well. I think that is why we never had any trouble.

I guess that rests my worries with the pack then. As the x5304 does pull a fair bit of amps to get power... even up at high speed. I guess it doesn't help matters with the ebay packs that my setup will eventually have 50a controllers w/ 4110 fets.

Just don't want the BMS blowing when I'm going down the road and up a few hills lol!

Does anyone ever wonder why Ping or Anna or Journeyman doesn't post on this forum ? Obviously their customers are all here and I have yet to see a Ping Post ?

Don

I do have a bike that will run up to a 30amp peak draw. But in general I use the 17a controller with regen up to about 12amp peak regen.

I have been following this thread with a good deal of interest!
I firmly believe that we need a good, powerful, lightweight battery system, to make e-bikes, or any other EV for that matter, viable.
And yes, it is early days. We are seeing people making up there own packs and charging solutions using a variety of available batteries, like A123 and DeWalt batteries. We are also seeing some early? LiFePo4 packs that are reasonably priced, like Yesa, and now these 'duct tape' batteries.
I personally don't wish to buy and pull apart power tool battery packs, and then have to make up a customised charging solution!
These 'duct tape' batteries, despite their shortcomings, probably provide a very good, cost effective solution for us who are on the 'cutting edge' of this emerging battery technology. It is very appealing to think that you can get a battery pack, BMS, and charger, for a good entry level price, right out of the box!
I currently have a Yesa pack that I am using on my MTB, and it is working very well, but it is the bike I use the least.
I am now thinking about one of these duct tape packs for my trike, at 36v, to replace my lead bricks.
I have just removed the whole system from my trike as it was just too heavy to try and pedal the thing around without power! Damn nearly doubled the weight of the trike, and it is only a 10 AHr pack.
I would definitely consider putting the system back together with battery that weighed only 4 Kg's. (1/3!)
My point is, is that these duct tape packs provide a real viable aternative to the DeWalt/A123 packs that other tinkerers are using, without putting a lot of effort into the project.
Just trying to add a bit of perspective to the thread!
Cheers!

Don Harmon said:
Does anyone ever wonder why Ping or Anna or Journeyman doesn't post on this forum ? Obviously their customers are all here and I have yet to see a Ping Post ?

Don
Ping probably doesn't know about these forums... I only found about this forums when I got into ebiking through BiGH

Freddyflatfoot said:
I have been following this thread with a good deal of interest!
I firmly believe that we need a good, powerful, lightweight battery system, to make e-bikes, or any other EV for that matter, viable.
And yes, it is early days. We are seeing people making up there own packs and charging solutions using a variety of available batteries, like A123 and DeWalt batteries. We are also seeing some early? LiFePo4 packs that are reasonably priced, like Yesa, and now these 'duct tape' batteries.
I personally don't wish to buy and pull apart power tool battery packs, and then have to make up a customised charging solution!
These 'duct tape' batteries, despite their shortcomings, probably provide a very good, cost effective solution for us who are on the 'cutting edge' of this emerging battery technology. It is very appealing to think that you can get a battery pack, BMS, and charger, for a good entry level price, right out of the box!
I currently have a Yesa pack that I am using on my MTB, and it is working very well, but it is the bike I use the least.
I am now thinking about one of these duct tape packs for my trike, at 36v, to replace my lead bricks.
I have just removed the whole system from my trike as it was just too heavy to try and pedal the thing around without power! Damn nearly doubled the weight of the trike, and it is only a 10 AHr pack.
I would definitely consider putting the system back together with battery that weighed only 4 Kg's. (1/3!)
My point is, is that these duct tape packs provide a real viable aternative to the DeWalt/A123 packs that other tinkerers are using, without putting a lot of effort into the project.
Just trying to add a bit of perspective to the thread!
Cheers!
Completely agree there freddy...

If a person who was good or knowledable with the ebay lifepo4 packs would probably know their shortcomings in and out. This person would probably try to work around or fix these short comings with minimal cost. We do that on a regular basis on our ebikes.

This is the main reason why I can't see the point of spending over $1000+ on a battery pack... sure it's been tested and everything, but with something like this on the market and with a little bit of work, you can make into a really good pack.

Don,

I asked before if you would just make a head to head to comparison of your product to lifebatt..

However, With every post you keep making comparison. I would say it is easy to say Customer service goes to life batt. However, I say that i dont know i have not purchased anything from life batt. I think it is really easy to sit back and take pop shots at us who are trying to use make these packs work..

From what i can see you have a good working understanding of these products. I am sure you have much more to contribute than digs at duct tape.

Honestly , I would just stay above that and like you said not make a comparison. The story is telling itself about the pros and cons of these packs.

LIke you said you get what you pay for . My and Your advice have both were free.

The Redneck bike
Arbiker501

Back