• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

That BMS board that blew at 35A had four FETs on it, which makes me wonder if they are just low power versions, or if something else caused them to blow, like a short of some sort. If it is the former, maybe they can simply be replaced with higher power FETs, like Bob, Richard and Rick do with adding 4110s to the controllers. I just finshed redoing a new version of the 12/16-cell LVC board that adds two FETs to provide absolute cutoff as an option, but the FETs used will be either 4110s or at least 4310, something that will handle lots of power. My own setups pull as much as 85A, for short bursts.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with those that want to defend getting these cheap imports, but I will say that I whole-heartedly agree that these bags need protection. At least with the LiFePO4 chemistry, the cells won't blow up if air/moisture gets in the bag, like Li-Co-based cells do, but there is still a fire danger from shorts. I would also point out that if the cells are "puffing", or expanding, that's not a good thing. Anyway, these need some sort of protection from punctures, and some sort of mechaincal stress relief for the tabs coming out of the packs, and the wires connecting to them.

As for our LiFeBatt packs, they will be available soon. I'm waiting for the CMS to be complete, so we can offer a complete solution. While the CMS finishes up, I decided to o a new version of the LVC board, with the active cutouff, because many who have expressed interest want the cutoff pack-resident, instead of using the controller. The new LVC borad will have that option.

-- Gary

I invited Ping to post on this forum. I hope he takes me up on the offer. He can definitely provide some valuable insight, and help to instill confidence. And perhaps the input provided here can also help him make a better product. That's a win-win situation.

BURNED BMS update.

I forward ping the pics of my old pack the 36 18 with the fried BMS.

Ping responded in a couple of hours.
Offered to replace the BMS today free.

He also said he was working on a better BMS one that would handle more amps.. I have not watched the weather but seems like it must be bad in china.

PIng is going to ship us a new bms . The new and better bms is will be free . Which i was suprised since he knew the pack had been resold.. In effort to work with him as well i offered to pay for the 15 for shipping.. I fell like that he is working in a resonable manner to support his product. ESP since it has been resold.

I asked him about a 48 volt pack a week or so ago. But had to wait to get some cash to pay for it. I payed him and he had already had the pack for me. He is shipping the pack in 24 hours according to ping and will send me a tracking number.. I will be suprised if he doesnt ship it in 24 hours to be honest.

I fell like Ping really wanted to see his customers happy with his produces and is working hard to solve the problem. I am sure he would have shipped a replacement bms the same day. However, The new owner ,PIng and i though it would be best to upgrade the bms. Also , He sent me his phone number if i had any other questions that needed attention.

I just received a reply from Ping. He wanted me to relay it to the group. I'm actually impressed and respect his response, and find a certain fairness and logic. I wish he would reconsider posting here. I know the majority will find this response far more informative than contentious.

=================================================================================================================================================================================

Hi xxxxxx,

Sorry we don't have 48v15ah in stock now. Chinese Lunar New Year (Feb 7) is coming and most of our staffs are taking vacation now. We have no more resources to build new packs. We will try to build some and list all our stock on ebay before the holiday. But I'm not sure 48v15ah will be available.

The case of BMS failure is the first in our global market. And before this, we have faced only one case in local market like this but caused by high amperage charge. The guy who burn the BMS has draw a high amperage while climbing hill for a period of time. The battery is not directly sold to him by us. The guy bought it from another user. Maybe their controllers and motors are different. Anyway, I have told the first user yesterday that we will give him a new BMS for free.

We have sold hundreds of units to the local market and nearly 100 units to global market. Only 2 cases of BMS burning and the one in local market is confirmed to be caused by abusing. So, don't worry about the BMS.

BTW, I have seen that the boss of lifebatt is challenging me in the post. If you have time, please send my word as follows to all. We have different market positioning from lifebatt. They aim at hi-end market. We aim at the low-end. I'm busy working everyday and have no more time to read every post and reply, even challenge competitors like Don Harmon. If you have any questions or concern, just tell me. I will give you answers or communicate with our team to see how to do better. That's my job. Anyway, we will try our best to make our customers satisfied.

Thanks and best regards,

Li Ping

All very positive signs that Ping is playing fair and for that he gets a star in my book.

I guess it's a good thing that you are getting a replacement BMS.

Have you asked wether it would be able to handle more amps compared to the old one?

Chinese New Year AND they're getting slammed with very bad weather.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/ts_afp/chinaweathertransporttourism_080129163028

There may be delays...

:(

Re-wrapped with strand reinforced tape and cut resistant plastic.View attachment 2

A generous length of 26cm shrink wrap:bluebattery 002.jpg

I hope we are good to go now!bluebattery 004.jpg

I will surround the battery in protective foam insulation. The bag it will be in is insulated as well.

Much nicer looking.

Ping's got it nailed, it looks like. He seems to know what good PR will do.

These packs are looking more and more tempting...

John,

I have never used the shrink pack.. where do you get it and what size would you suggest.. Hell being from the Ar I though the duct tape was nice looking..

I even have it on my trailer door... OK OK just kidding... Thanks for your help John.

Arbiker

Yea ... there was some confusion, Ping thought I was an original customer. Arbiker 'splained to him that he retailed the pack to me.

I'll attach the 30A BMS to the unit when I get it, and repeat the ride that nuked the original unit, and post photos of the results.

Hopefully we can put this to rest before Ping loses any customers.

Arbiker: you can get a product called "Monokote" at any shop that sells to R/C hobbyists. Results look good, and the stuff is easy to applywith a heatgun.

Getting large size black heat-shrink is problematic ... the largest I could find barely covered that 36V pack.

Just today I picked it up at e-bikes.ca (renaissance) it is 26 cm, the perfect size. It shrinks nice. Better than the heavy duty pvc stuff. I did two batteries up, they did turn out nice. The surface feels like plastic. It is reasonably thick.

Dear Don, Tyler, and all the other bitter domestic battery resellers who frequent this board:

Don't take it personally, but everyones a little tired of the rhetoric. Most people are checking out this forum because they AREN'T interested in your $1000 solutions. (ie. They don't have that kind of money to spend/waste).

Everyone knows that buying foreign (everyone say CHEAPER) products involves some inherent risk. The point of this forum is to mitigate that risk as much as possible buy demonstrating a track record for the different resellers.

Coming on here and claiming that all battery packs produced off US soil are of poor quality is laughable at best. In the end, cheap foreign labour will always win out, and foreign distributors will find ways to improve the cosmetics of their products. What we want to know is their ACTUAL TRACK RECORD. And in that department you have nothing constructive to add. I think you are wasting a lot of time if you seriously believe for a moment that anyone here wants a "Lifebatt" or any other such product for the 6 figure salaries out there.

Regards,

Nate

(P.S. Any who agree, please feel free to say so - maybe in this manner we can get through to the car sales types on here.)

Hi all
I have been following this thead and would like the opinon of you guys.
my ebike (recumbent trike 2 wheels at the front) has 2 battery bays one either side of the rear wheel (for balance and low centre of gravity) I want a 48v setup so as with the nimh packs I have at the moment to put half in one(24v) half in the other. I have had a word with ping and said what I want to try and do and he advises aganist, what are your opinions?

Not advisable to spilt one pack into two... however you should be able to do 1 pack on each side of the wheel (ie 1x 48 on the left side... 1x 48 on the right side).

albie said:
Not advisable to spilt one pack into two... however you should be able to do 1 pack on each side of the wheel (ie 1x 48 on the left side... 1x 48 on the right side).
do you think the same could be done with 2 x 24v 2ah packs?

yeah you can... although 2ah for a battery pack is kinda small!

sorry should read 2x24v 20ah packs

Should be fine to run in a series but i wouldn't run in parallel.

Although has anyone tested the Duct Tape packs in series without blowing anything?

I know the yesa packs can do it though.

The cheaper cells work, i'm very curious to find out for how long they do, but they do work..

What scares the crap outa me is the assembly methods, the low price means tradeoffs, i felt sick to my stomach when Deepkimchi announced that he was buying a pack after my posting details of my purchase, he's been plagued by charger problems, no BMS, poor support, etc..

I fear that others may read this thread and do the exact same thing, and 6 months from now, 1 week, 1 year.. no matter.. how will you all feel if/when someone gets one of these duct tape packs and the bike tips over, anything from a scrape, puncture, short, etc.. ...

What i'm getting at here is that this is a public forum, and alot of people read these threads, some search result on Google could lead an un-knowing buyer to these packs without proper knowledge of how to handle them...

I do tech support for a living, answer phones, i talk to aprox 60 to 80 people per day, out of this many customers, roughly 20 % are just the " Special " type, not their fault, some people are just born without " Common sense " .. fact of life.. stupid is what stupid does.

It's great that people buy and report back their results, i read them all with great interest, but lets please make an effort to err on the side of caution and ballance the good with the bad..

SLA , ni, whatever, all can cause fires, but you don't see 12v sla bricks with the + and - terminals 0.5mm apart and ( have to run.. brb)

What about two 48V/10Ah in parallel, using two Schottky diodes to connect them so to avoid current flowing back from one pack to the other?

Ypedal said:
What scares the crap outa me is the assembly methods, the low price means tradeoffs, i felt sick to my stomach when Deepkimchi announced that he was buying a pack after my posting details of my purchase, he's been plagued by charger problems, no BMS, poor support, etc..

I fear that others may read this thread and do the exact same thing, and 6 months from now, 1 week, 1 year.. no matter.. how will you all feel if/when someone gets one of these duct tape packs and the bike tips over, anything from a scrape, puncture, short, etc.. ...

I agree that left as just a duct tape pack these packs may well have some damage done to them but reading the posts most are being sensable and protecting the packs.

Back