Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

Hey ,

I was foolish enough to get twins. One is a new journey pack the other a ping pack. I will have to get a watts up meter to do some testing .

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2,663
Arbiker501 said:
Hey ,

I was foolish enough to get twins. One is a new journey pack the other a ping pack. I will have to get a watts up meter to do some testing .

Why foolish?
As you have two different packs, which one is better, or are they both the same? Do they both use the same charger? And are they 'equal' in performance?
Oh, see the reference to the watts up. Let us know how the two packs compare, thanks.

Arbiker501 said:
Hey ,

Cool! Curious to see your results. Not foolish at all.

Freddyflatfoot said:
I think I am about to get a LiFePo4 pack from Ping.
Since some of you guys have had these packs for a little while, what is the general consensus, before I dive in head first?
The packs do seem to be rated at fairly low discharge rates, 1-2C, but my system is under that anyway, so I guess shouldn't be an issue.
Guys, anything I should be aware of?
Thanks

I'm currently at my 18th charge, no flaw detected although no deep discharge yet (average is 30-40%). My regular max current draw is >20A (in fairly numerous peaks) , the undulation seems to be independent of it, max undulation so far has been to produce sags at slighlty more than 46V.

Hi all
time to think about putting the 48v 20ah ping pack in a box.
First the pack has been split in two as it came as two rows of cells lincked with a short heavy duty wire, the bms wires to the remote battery will be extended cutting the wires carfuly to avoid shorts.
I've decided to first remove most of the duct tape I have found a notebook cooling mat and am going to use this as both a battery cooler and as sponge protection. then replace duct tape with fiberglass tape (somone else has done the same in a previous posting) over the cooling mat
Finaly I thought of encase it in 1.5mm (1/16") aluminium as well?

Anybody here bidding on the 48v 20ah battery that Ping has up now ?

Bike will be ready for a battery by the weekend...so I should get one coming.
Don't want to get into a bidding war with the locals :D
I can always wait for the next one if I need to I suppose.

Don

Guys,

Sorry , I have not had a chance to run the pack . I am really looking forward to a head to head comparison of both packs.. When i get time and it gets warm i will let you all know.

Ok, got into a bit of a bidding war, but got the 36v/10AHr pack from Ping.
Gee, hope it wasn't anyone from here! ;)
Anyway, about the same price I paid for my 24v/10AHr YESA pack.
Just a pity that my hub motor is out of the bike ATM, with a spoke breakage issue!
I'll have to get it fixed now!

Ok, just did some quick costings.
If I were to purchase SLA's, to get my 10 AHr capcity (18AHr batteries), they would cost me 3 x $67=$221. Might get 500 cycles, if I'm lucky, but then would have heavy weight, and Peukerts! Yuk!
And my LiFePo4 pack, at 10 AHr, cost me ~$320, and if I get 1000 cycles, makes these batteries very good value!
And I didn't even factor in the cost of the charger, which was free?

what would be the perfect DIY case?
I'm thinking of using some aluminium plate from an ATX case with some expanded polyethylene/PVC which is the same kind of thing they use as ground mats but less dense, you can make holes in it to adjust the springiness and ventilation, http://www.satyamplastics.com/supremeage/images/supreAdKZo9.gif as long as it doesn't melt! I am doing cross country so I might have 2/3 cm to take impacts from rocks and branches, it's really good stuff and you can find it anywhere where they have lots of used shipping materials. maybe it's a good idea to make some ventilation as well , maybe some kind of air duct going into the fins at the top of the batteries.

Attachments

• 2008-02-12_004002.jpg
    2008-02-12_004002.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3,374
  • 2008-02-12_003913.jpg
    2008-02-12_003913.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3,374
Hi all,

Can anyone who has bought one of these in the US tell me whether or not they had to pay any customs/duty/taxes to the courier?

If so, please indicate what State you're in - I'm in NY and considering getting one of these, just want to know what the costs are upfront.

Thanks,

N

I haven't bought one, but I'm thinking about it so I asked Ping that exact question. He claims there's no addition charge in duties or brokerage fees.

Thank you all.

The consensus is that duty/tax is usually not an issue.

I've got a 36v/20AH battery on the way from anna as we speak.

Here's an amusing (or not so much depending on your perspective) story on how I ruined my original SLA pack in the first place.

Decided I wanted a headlight (really bright) for the bike, and could only find 12v ones.

SLA pack was 3 cell, so I wired the light to the center cell. Batteries in series for the motor, but just the center cell driving the light.

Any of you with a better understanding of electrical theory than me recognize the problem already I'd imagine. Yep, got the pack out of balance.

Ended up OVERCHARGING the outside cells to bring the center one up to proper voltage. Ruined outside cells and eventually the pack was useless inside of a month. Will be wiser this time around.

I've been reading through this thread - I'm considering building a wooden box (easiest thing for me to create cheaply) to house these batteries. Any thoughts? What should I use for shock absorption?

Nate

Ended up OVERCHARGING the outside cells to bring the center one up to proper voltage. Ruined outside cells and eventually the pack was useless inside of a month. Will be wiser this time around.

Nate, I also run my headlight off my traction batteries. Here's what I've done to avoid the balancing issue.
First, I found an ac switching powersupply that outputs the voltage my light needs. It's important that it's a switching power supply. Mine was an old cell phone charger. These switching ps's have a very high input inpedance to dc and are highly efficient and guesse what, they can also work on DC! I found that mine only works when the voltage is above about 45volts-dc though, so you may need to go to 48V to get it to work. At 48V with the 5V headlight on, this thing is only drawing about 90ma. This is a tiny drain and my bike batteries can easily power the headlight for days and days if it's the only load. I wired this in parrallel with the 48V battery pack (thus they are all discharged equally) :wink: and added a switch and low voltage wiring directly soldered to the battery teminals in the headlight case, and I was done. This gives me a good bright light whose batteries don't have to be independently maintainted.

As a side benefit, now I have a 5V bus that I use to power all my 5V devices... I can run my garmin edge 305 constantly so it's batteries never discharge, and I can charge my cell phone while I commute!
I hope this helps.

Hello, this is Chad from Ohio. Here is my first test mule. it is running a 3.8 HP Blackjack motor bought old and used but damaged some during sprocket change. Runs on 24v 35AH contactor actuated and runs gearing at 54 rear and 10 on the motor. Bike pulls well and will run 4.1 miles and top speed at 30MPH . Mind you the batteries that wher used wher 3 years old already. This bike takes 4 hours to charge to full and is running Two 35AH 12v batteries. Bike ways 187 LBS and was tested by 100 LB test rider but does pull 165 LB rider well. All aspects of this bike will change in the near future and the next bike already in progress will have at minimum double all capacities. Must compete with real gas bikes of same calibur in sanctioned race by race season so I will end here and if you would send a picture of yours. Thanks Chad. If needed you can call at 419-675-0024.

I got the replacement BMS from Ping today for the one that burned out earlier.

Will wire it up (with a 30A fuse this time ), and try it out today or tomorrow.

Hmm, my last post seems to have been lost/deleted! Moderator?
Dunno, but pack is on its way! yay!
General consensus is to provide some sort of covering around the battery to protect the soft cells?
Oh, my last deleted post had a question about fuses/switches. What comes with Ping's pack? If there is no fuse, I will definitely add one, or a circuit breaker, to protect the pack in the event of an accidental short.

I have used a circuit breaker 30 amps on one pack and a 30 Amp inline fuse on the other. That is probably the absolute maximum these can deliver. I used the heavy duty shrink wrap, foam and packaged them in an insulated Axiom trunk bag.

General consensus is to provide some sort of covering around the battery to protect the soft cells?
Oh, my last deleted post had a question about fuses/switches. What comes with Ping's pack? If there is no fuse, I will definitely add one, or a circuit breaker, to protect the pack in the event of an accidental short.

You get a duct taped prismatic cell pack, a BMS, a red lead, a black lead, and a blue lead.

Recharger line goes positive to red, and negative to blue. No connectors supplied for leads, you make your own. BMS has no fuse, and mine ( with three FETs on it ) blew at about a 32A uphill load.

Make an enclosure. Get your own connectors for the charger, battery charger connector,and main power. Put a 30A fuse or breaker on the battery pack ( I put mine on the negative lead between the battery and the BMS ).

thanks KB , appreciate the info!
Sounds like I'll just scavenge all the wiring from my SLA pack.

Hi All - justed wanted to thank everyone for their input, as I have been following this thread with interest. I've been mulling over ditching my SLA's for sometime and like others came a cross Ping's Ebay items. Naturally I was dubious - about the quaility of the packs & rather than do what I usually do (take a punt then tinker :wink: ). It was great to see like mind people have already done the RD & shared for all. Thankyou - Ping will be getting another customers 8)

OK ... I got Ping's 36v battery pack back together, with new BMS, and took it out.

No problems ... but the BMS now cuts off if you start exceeding about 35A.

Since I only have a 35A controller, this is probably a good thing ... but you need to cut current in order to reset the BMS.

Add a momentary off switch to the things you need to buy list.

I am using the car-key switch that came with the original crystalyte kit ... I just cut a 1" hole in the plastic tub I have everything in, and have it sticking outside ( you can see it just above the cables ).Switch is on positive after the charger lead but before the anderson connectors go out ... so switch position does not effect charging.

Attachments

• DSCN0572 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,466
Back