• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Duct Tape E-Bay Lifepo4s???

Great idea Nitecheck, but if you look just a few posts ahead of your last one, Brucey indicates he already has a bid on that pack. I was considering bidding also, but really want the 48V 20AH one. If anyone here already has a bid on it (there are 2 bids) please post, and I will wait for the next offering. Again, I see both Anna and New Journey have these packs with no bidders. Is there any reason to avoid them, except for poor customers relations?

Yeah, I bid on that one. I really like the comradity though.

I want the 48V20AH one too, but everyone seems to be bidding on it. And it is way too big to fit in my stealth anyway.

Seems like supply and demand and eBay's rules are dictating the price. It's impossible for Ping to satiate demand by himself. And positive reviews here are only helping drive up the price.

giveahoot said:
Seems like supply and demand and eBay's rules are dictating the price. It's impossible for Ping to satiate demand by himself. And positive reviews here are only helping drive up the price.
...................which is good for Ping, bad for us!
And I bet he is already making a profit on the starting price!
If the supply issue can be sorted, I reckon these batts will come down in price.
Makes some of the 'other' suppliers of LiFePo4 to be outrageously expensive, doesn't it?
But still makes this chemistry the best thing we have seen in a long time.

I hope my little 48V 15AH pack doesent get upped too much. If it goes too high I've decided to let it go, and with a few hours left I've alreay been bid up. Lets play the ebay game. :roll:

zzoing said:
hahar $429 48v 20ah battery from anna, stays at 49-52v constant, only hope that super capacitors/silicon fibre lithium have arrived by the time it's had its day.

yes im finding the same here, this battery is pissing me off im having a hard time geting the low voltage cutoff to work. i think ping has the Energizer Bunny
hostage. :lol:

Holy crap, I won it. And for a pretty reasonable price still yet.

God bless anyone who didnt upbid me. :mrgreen:

Brucey said:
Holy crap, I won it. And for a pretty reasonable price still yet.

God bless anyone who didnt upbid me. :mrgreen:
I resisted the urge - good intentions & all aside - was tempting :lol: Well done lets us know how the work out.

I wonder how much labor markup goes toward these packs? I wonder if Ping might sell the raw cells themselves at dirt cheap prices and then we could do whatever we wanted with them?

:arrow: Has anyone been able to get through to Ping with email?

They must get the raw materials for really, really cheap prices. Their cost needs to be 20% BELOW what they are selling things at so each cell must cost them next to nothing.

I just want to get raw materials... :)

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/48V-20AH-LiFePO4-Electric-Scooter-E-Bike-Li-Fe-Battery_W0QQitemZ220203769369QQihZ012QQcategoryZ75210QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

:arrow: Ping - 48V 20Ah (960W) - Price will likely be $500 when bidding completes. Plus shipping $100 = $600.

62 cents per watt.

:arrow: Thundersky Cells - 40Ah 3.2V (128W) - Patrick $80

62 cents per watt.

So the price is equal to the Thundersky cells but Ping includes all the system management stuff and a charger and that includes the shipping too.

That's a good deal. 8)

Finally taken the plunge & placed a bid on pings 48v 15AH pack Item number: 220206003890. I imagine the 15AH should deliver more torque than my current 7AH at the same voltage - but I could be wrong. But if I get these - the range would be great - 1 overnight recharge compared to 2 charges a day plus 2 kg lighter & the SLA pack can be relegated to light duties in the wife's E-MTB (still a work in progress but getting there - need to solder 2 hall cables & fit a cog).

450 including shipping is a pretty good price on a 48V 15AH pack, hell. I'd almost pay that much for a set of SLA's :mrgreen:
I'll be sure to let everyone know how this goes down, and I'll start work on a case as soon as it gets here. I've got a bunch of pine I have no use for... :mrgreen:

nitecheck said:
Finally taken the plunge & placed a bid on pings 48v 15AH pack Item number: 220206003890. I imagine the 15AH should deliver more torque than my current 7AH at the same voltage - but I could be wrong. But if I get these - the range would be great - 1 overnight recharge compared to 2 charges a day plus 2 kg lighter & the SLA pack can be relegated to light duties in the wife's E-MTB (still a work in progress but getting there - need to solder 2 hall cables & fit a cog).
Hi all
nitecheck what amps are you drawing, from the looks of things pings packs like to draw 1c or just over.
OR can anyone prove me wrong (I hope they can) has anyone pulled more than 1c and suddenly seen a drop in the voltage.

example
pack 48v 15ah
when amps go above 20 voltage starts to drop rapidly till the throttle is eased off.

I'll own up to taking the plunge and buying one of these packs too. I've just won a 36V 10Ah pack that's destined to be reconfigured to fit under the seat of my TongXin powered recumbent.

Hope it's as good as the reports here suggest. Price, including charger and shipping to the UK, was $309, which seems pretty good to me.

Jeremy

geoff57 said:
nitecheck said:
Hi all
nitecheck what amps are you drawing, from the looks of things pings packs like to draw 1c or just over.
OR can anyone prove me wrong (I hope they can) has anyone pulled more than 1c and suddenly seen a drop in the voltage.

example
pack 48v 15ah
when amps go above 20 voltage starts to drop rapidly till the throttle is eased off.

i have a watt meter i can test my 48volt 10ah, when i did take it out i found verry little drop in voltage or amps even full out. when the snow stops ill try it

I took my 36v 15ah pack out today 25km /15miles at almost full speed, barely any assist, hitting 40kph quite a bit on my 406 crystalyte with a 20 amp controller. Just near home the battery cut out. Not too bad. It was a pretty fast ride!

Johnbear said:
I took my 36v 15ah pack out today 25km /15miles at almost full speed, barely any assist, hitting 40kph quite a bit on my 406 crystalyte with a 20 amp controller. Just near home the battery cut out. Not too bad. It was a pretty fast ride!

You'll get more range out of it once it gets broken in. It takes a few discharge/recharge cycles to get these up to full strength.

Johnbear said:

Nice to hear positive results on these reasonably priced packs. How many Ah did you draw?

Lowell said:
Johnbear said:

Nice to hear positive results on these reasonably priced packs. How many Ah did you draw?

12.5, Lowell, we should go for a ride some day! I'd never keep up! :D We're bound to run into each other some day! Probably at ebikes.ca!

I asked for a tracking # and he didnt respond, I just got an ebay generated "your item has been shipped" with tracking # this morning.

8)

I still can't believe I paid 450$ for some capri sun pouches wrapped in duct tape.

Brucey said:
I asked for a tracking # and he didnt respond, I just got an ebay generated "your item has been shipped" with tracking # this morning.

8)

I still can't believe I paid 450$ for some capri sun pouches wrapped in duct tape.

Hi brucey if it was ping you will have got a tracking number and web sites to use to track the pack, when I got mine it took about 24hours for it to get into the shipping network, try tommorow then worry.

they may look like capri sun pouches infact they do a bit but don't cut the top off one and use it as suncream, instead of a tan all you will get is a visit to the hospital or worse :!:

Hey guys,

It is PINGS bday today.. So dont think he will be all over the email. Also , I am sure he will get you a tracking number pretty quick.. Usually less than 24 hours for me on my two duct tape packs

Arbiker501

Just FYI,
For those wondering about ping, the pack I ordered last week off eBay arrived at my home in TX today. :D I just got the IM from my wife. He shipped within about 24hours or so and I got a usps tracking number. The tracking site on usps.gov really sucks. They did let me know when it cleared customs, and when it arrived in the state, then it was quite for 2days. I'll post results of my tests in a couple days. I've got a DocWattson so I should be able to get some good data on them.

Back