Dyson EV

spinningmagnets said:
I have heard several times from reliable sources that Solid State Batteries (SSB's) will be commercially available in 2020, so Dyson and Harley both seem to be waiting for that...just a guess.
Solid state batteries are only a few years away - and always will be. There are some very fundamental problems that have no good solutions yet (like charge carrier mobility.)

Well, it looks like there was never much more than this studio mock up !
At least Dyson was smart enough to know when to quit on a dead end product.
...but where are those SS battery cells ??
Cancelled last October by Sir James Dyson after the vacuum cleaner entrepreneur ploughed 500 million British pounds into the project, the N256 seven-seat wagon boasts some pretty extreme numbers.

They include a world-leading 600-mile (960km) range between recharges courtesy of Dyson’s proprietary solid-state batteries, a 2.6-tonne kerb weight and a 4.8-second 0-100km/h time via two 200kW electric motors.

The Dyson N256 measures up at about 5.0m long, 2.0m wide and 1.7m tall. The wheels are “bigger than any production car on the market,”
si6kcH.jpg

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/still-born-dyson-ev-revealed-124309

Hillhater said:
Well, it looks like there was never much more than this studio mock up !
At least Dyson was smart enough to know when to quit on a dead end product.
...but where are those SS battery cells ??
Cancelled last October by Sir James Dyson after the vacuum cleaner entrepreneur ploughed 500 million British pounds into the project, the N256 seven-seat wagon boasts some pretty extreme numbers.

They include a world-leading 600-mile (960km) range between recharges courtesy of Dyson’s proprietary solid-state batteries, a 2.6-tonne kerb weight and a 4.8-second 0-100km/h time via two 200kW electric motors.

The Dyson N256 measures up at about 5.0m long, 2.0m wide and 1.7m tall. The wheels are “bigger than any production car on the market,”
si6kcH.jpg

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/still-born-dyson-ev-revealed-124309
There was one single make of the car, the one he is standing next to...
https://www.channelnews.com.au/dyson-offer-close-look-at-new-electric-suv/
But I think Dyson secretly realized there is no way in hell he can beat Elon Musk because Dyson isn't willing to spent extreme tons of investor and bank leveraged cash.
Dyson apparently spent $750million of is own money developing his EV, he can afford it and I am sure he had fun, but he needs a lot more money to make it viable.

Some reports say that Tesla has about $40billion in liabilities/debt, so this is what you need to be willing to spend if you aim to have a "financially viable EV competitor", which of course isn't possible.

I'd disagree on the "Financially viable EV is not possible" line, but that's not the purpose of my post. The real reason is that Dyson didn't leave this because he didn't know how to make a car- it's probably more because he couldn't sell the Dyson car like his vacuum.

Dyson's supposed state-of-the-art filtering really isn't, and in fact has been used in manufacturing for decades- they shear two winds against each other to force particulate matter to fall out of suspension. It's great for large bits of solid matter*, but it's REALLY good for marketing since you can now dump all that crap into a clear container someone can see into instead of a sealed bag. The problem is however, the same response I also give to a lot of people who posted in the thread- 99% of the populace doesn't care about how THING works. They don't care about how impressive the technologies are in THING. What they *really* care about is- in the age of post-truth- how does THING make them feel? Think of the phrase "Sell the sizzle, not the steak" and you'll understand why Dyson isn't Musk or Branson- it's practically now an image and a stereotype, a lifestyle you have to live. You cannot merely be a billionaire doing these things for tits and pickles, you have to LIVE it and if stories can be believed, Musk is not doing well with that rock and roll lifestyle. Dyson is known for vacuums, not tossing rockets and shitposting on twitter.

And that's the real reason why these ideas like the C-1 EV and such will never work. Building vehicles explicitly for efficiency and cheap cost doesn't make people feel like they're getting good deals- it just speaks to feelings of superiority that will (inevitably) be fleeting since other things have to give to chase things like CdA. Even performance stats don't work since so many are overblown and extreme performance is expected. Understanding that is the difference between failed EV ventures like the Jet Electric 007/Citicar and mammoth successes like the Tesla Model S. As disgusted as I am to say it, to make a venture like these succeed you cannot be boss- you have to be the Priest, leading the congregation to the promised future of your dreams built on billions of investor dollars and venture capital.

Besides, it would make no sense for Dyson to sell it when they have no tech company presence or dealership arm. If the batteries exist and go into production, it'll probably end up on an OEM vehicle in a partnership lmao

*Dyson's are actually poor vacuums. There's a very hard cutoff in micron-size where stuff can't fall out of suspension, and pet dander/pollen is one of those things- it's why a lot of pulmonary docs I know tell their asthmatics not to use them, since they really don't remove irritants; they tell them to get a Miele instead.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Dyson's supposed state-of-the-art

Their vacuum motors are generic, off the shelf motors. Nothing special about them at all, from what I gather from AvE's youtube channel of taking things apart and analyzing the quality of materials and parts for the build.

markz said:
CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Dyson's supposed state-of-the-art

Their vacuum motors are generic, off the shelf motors. Nothing special about them at all, from what I gather from AvE's youtube channel of taking things apart and analyzing the quality of materials and parts for the build.

I probably should have used "Claimed", not "Supposed". But yeah, each time someone (member of my family...) talks about dysons all I can think of is AvE ripping apart that big ball... and then VERBALLY ripping apart the big ball. All of them just feel chintzy to me too.

Yes but, you have to admire the modern day (Fuller Brush) vacuum salesman who can con someone into spending $1000 on a battery powered stick vacuum that is less effective than a $50 “hoover”
Just how much suck power do thay think a 20v stick vac can produce ?
My mains Miele draws 2400 W and much of that is “Suckpower”...it literally sucks your socks off.

Back