E-Bike Battery Sparks 5 Alarm Fire At Bronx Supermarket

TV news coverage shows video released by FDNY of the moment that the battery burst into flames. News video starts with coverage of a plane crash,. then the Bronx fire. E-bike battery sparks fire at Bronx supermarket; 4 firefighters, 1 other injured
The level of negative rhetoric used... I want a report on a car accident to use this same negative propaganda, to place regular cars in such a bad light every time one gets misused by someone. Which happens, oh I don't know, a few thousand times a day?

Also, the spokesperson warning people to only use the "legal" batteries for their device? There isn't that kind of policy in place to regulate that, at least not everywhere, so when you have an official using that term, it just shifts the conversation from "what kind of regulations should be in place," to, "what are the regulations already in place?"

I don't like people getting hurt in lithium fires. I also don't like media blowing them out of proportion.

On the same day:

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco firefighters contained a blaze that was allegedly caused by an e-scooter on the fourth floor of a Polk Gulch apartment complex on Sunday afternoon.

Fire officials first announced a first alarm fire in the 2200 block of Polk Street at 12:06 p.m.

Apartment Fire in S.F.

Apartment building fire in San Francisco Polk Gulch neighborhood March 5, 2023. (SFFD)
Less than 30 minutes later, firefighters announced that the fire was contained to the unit where it originated from.

One resident was rescued by engine and was taken to a burn center for serious burns.

Firefighters determined that it was a lithium battery fire from a scooter on the fourth floor of the building
E-scooter fire in San Francisco apartment building sends resident to hospital

Back