E-BikeKit Wheel laced wrong (Some old close-out wheels only)

I couple of months back I bought a direct drive (9c) front 26" wheel on close-out from E-BikeKit.
When I got the wheel I noticed that the spokes had a noticeable bend in them near the rim and spoke nipple. At first I thought that it was because the hub is much larger than a normal one and the holes in the rim were not drilled at enough of an angle.
Once I got a tire and tube on the rim, I noticed that unlike most wheels, there was a spoke laying across the valve stem, making it much harder to air up the tire. My friend then pointed out that the wheel was laced wrong!
You see, the rim has the spoke holes drilled slightly to each side, so that all the spokes on one hub flange are slightly to that side of the rim. But on this wheel, they were backwards, causing an extra strain on the spokes and rim. I taped the spokes together at the cross, unlaced it and corrected the problem.
I don't know if this is an isolated case but it's a good idea to check any machine-laced wheel for improper lacing, I'm just glad that I noticed before doing any riding on it.
EDIT: This is more a warning about machine-built wheels than EBK wheels, these wheels were sold on close-out, without being inspected, as stated in the sale.

I chat with e-bikekit regularly, all wheels are currently built in NJ by hand, the batch sold back when you got yours was pre-assembled by 9C and obviously all wrong, but for 100$ it was still a steal ( i got in on that deal too !!.. have not bolted it up yet, will have to check those spokes.. )

Ypedal said:
I chat with e-bikekit regularly, all wheels are currently built in NJ by hand, the batch sold back when you got yours was pre-assembled by 9C and obviously all wrong, but for 100$ it was still a steal ( i got in on that deal too !!.. have not bolted it up yet, will have to check those spokes.. )
That's good to hear, will edit original post to reflect this.

Take a look at the link to E-BikeKit review - a bunch of us got some close out kits and they weren't dished properly ( which is why we got them for a great price) . There is a lot of info on how to respoke the wheels .

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9244

I had a bike shop dish mine to bring it to center, but all they did was loosen one side and tighten the other side. The spokes clicked quite a bit and started breaking after 1500 miles or so. I respoked it and the wheel was off center but so much stronger so I just left it that way and it should be good for at least 4 thousand miles this way .

ebikes.ca were selling 9-continent motors with spokes crossing at the valve stem for a discount price for a while. The one you(and I) have is probably from the same factory batch. Mine was a front wheel and was dished correctly.

Back