EATSRHPV-Mart's E-Assist Tilting Full Suspension Trike build

Working out the overall profile of the roll-cage/body. I was originally going to go for fibreglass/carbon fibre for complex 3 curves to the body but with my current level of expertise, equipment and time I'm now thinking I'll take the easy way out and stick with 2D curves and hopefully end up with something not too ugly or non-streamlined. The reality is that it has to be an open-sided body to allow for the tilting of suspension and the contra-tilting steering levers sticking out to the sides so putting effort into a more streamlined form is probably wasted effort!
Body Profile side view.jpgBody Profile three quarter view.jpg

I bent the first B-pillar roll-bar into shape and tack-welded it onto the trike after two earlier attempts to get the right compound curves that would clear the front wheels at maximum lock and when tilting as well as clear the heels of my feet when pedalling. Quite tricky.

I then managed to quite accurately mirror the second B-pillar on the other side after a bit of trial and error (yay!) and it's all looking good. Tomorrow I'll work on the rear roll bar and then the two tubes that will form the roof, windscreen A-pillars and nose.

At this rate I may manage to get most of the roll cage done before I run out of holidays. Just need to buy a new Tube-bender - I've bent the old one. I guess it doesn't like cromoly steel. Weak. :)

B pillars three quarter view.jpgB pillars front.jpg

Maybe the camera angles is playing tricks on me, but that seems to be a very tall cockpit?
Thought about a more discrete wind wrap? Here is Adams trike with wind wrap, he also uses a canopy sometimes.
Easy in/out and too.

[youtube]LsFUrSbED4U[/youtube]

Hi Macribs, the body is taller than velomobiles like Adam's as I'm aiming for a roofed design more like a combination of the Arcus:
[youtube]bryivcPH4BI[/youtube]
...and the TryTrike:
[youtube]FoPc1ezMHmM[/youtube]

Ahh now it makes sense. I thought you would leave the sides open due to suspension/tilting but I know see this will be full on fairing.

The major components of the roll cage are now tacked together to check out the geometry and wheel and foot clearances. I’ll have to take a break for a couple of weeks now, but when I get back will fabricate the windscreen and body panels. Later I’ll work on the rear body.

[youtube]eKOtjhWNc6Y[/youtube]

The roll cage is now painted and looking a lot better. Once dry, I'll be fitting the roof panel and then the front windscreens and bolting the new indicator/mirrors back on and wiring up the rest of the lights and controls.

I also replaced my old hub motor which was stuttering badly with a new Solarbike 1kW hub which also boasts disc brake mounts so I'll be welding on a disc brake bracket on the rear forks in the near future to give me 3 disc brakes all round.

RollCagePaintedRearquartersm.jpg
RollCagepaintedFrontQuartersm.jpg
RollCagePaintedFrontsm.jpg

It's not too heavy as it is made out of fairly thin-walled cromoly steel so it hasn't affected my top-end speed at all from the test rides I've done so far. I'm a little slower going up steep hills, but it is hardly noticeable. I'll be doing the weight calculations in the next few days once I've cut out the window panels.

I've finally fabricated and fitted the Polycarbonate windscreens for my Karda EATSRHPV tilting trike. Roof, side panels and rear body yet to come. I haven't noticed much of an impact on speed at my normal commuting speeds on the flat but I lose a couple of kmph on fast downhill sections. However, I'm ok with that as this body is more about turning the vehicle into a more comfortable commuter vehicle with increased weather protection, cargo-carrying capability and safety. In many ways it is a more streamlined narrow-track version of the ELF https://organictransit.com that fits on shared paths.

[youtube]WYAoAAKhMu0[/youtube]

IMG_1665.jpgIMG_1661.jpgIMG_1666.jpgIMG_1664.jpgIMG_1668.jpgIMG_1659.jpgIMG_1662.jpgIMG_1660.jpgIMG_1667.jpgIMG_1663.jpg

Back