Ebike problem not BMS anymore

wraven512

1 µW
Hi Guys,
Some time ago I bought a ebike 250W 36V 10,4 Ah from hobbyking.
At first I had a problem that the bike was shutting down randomly under load (same on assist and on the throttle). I did some checking cables, lcd there where fine. So I was thinking that it was a battery not getting enough amps. When i opened it after some riding i did check voltages on battery it was 38V, then i checked group of cells (Samsung ICR18650-26F), 36 of them was 3,8V but 4 of cells was 3,6V. Mine thought was that the some cells in that pack was was faulty. So i ordered very similar samsung cels (Samsung ICR18650-26J). While waiting for cells i did charge ebike battery and did recheck voltage on cells full pack 42V, 36 cells where 4,2 and 4 where 4,0V.
When the new cells arrived charge them to 4,2V and replace those faulty cells. I did recheck all battery it was 42V and 4,2V on each cell group. Then did i check the voltage on the bms cable side 42V, then each cable to the pack, was 4,2V.
Now the LCD, lighs on bike are turning on, voltage on battery and LCD is 42V but... the motor is not spinning even without a load it jerk.
Now i think it could be faulty BMS from a start. Am I wrong ?
Update, I unplugged BMS from battery, connected battery to bike with same result.
:confused:
The controller enclousure put to much presure to the cable over the screw and broke cable from motor.
Thx for help

Under load voltage did drop about 0,5V for a half second or less.
I disconnected BMS completely, and try to run bike, same result engine just jerk.

Shitty battery pack i bet. Just like the unmatched lipo packs they send out.

Recelling the battery will most likely help.

You should get one of their watt meters and use it inline with the battery-controller connection in the future if you wanna be cheap. Or get a cycle analyst. it will be a fuel gauge and nice tool for battery performance diagnosis in the future.

wraven512 said:
Under load voltage did drop about 0,5V for a half second or less.
I disconnected BMS completely, and try to run bike, same result engine just jerk.

0.5V is not much sag, so maybe your battery is OK. You might have a problem with the hall sensors in the motor or other wiring on the controller that makes it shut down. Check all the connectors. Many controllers will show a fault code when something is detected. You can test the motor halls with a voltmeter.

Back