Ebike Rims and spokes

RetroGT

1 µW
Hi all
To save a few quid I have purchased a 250w bafang rear wheel motor and I want to build my own wheel it’s a 26” wheel I was thinking that I can use the same rim and cut down the original spokes and re thread them.
Rookie mistake I have done research on this and apparently I need a specific rim with 36 spoke holes but where can I buy these items.
I need a 26” ebike rear wheel rim for disc brake and specific spokes for a 250w bafang motor.
Any suggestions it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

If you have a 32 hole rim and a 36 hole hub, you can lace them together; there are patterns that work for this.

See the ebikes.ca spoke calculator for all the different lengths required and the pattern you will end up with. (you'll need to read it's directions and measure your rim and hub as indicated there, to use that info in the calculator; this is true for which spokes to get for any rim and hub combination, as it's dependent on both of them).

Sheldon Brown's site also discusses this (and other mismatched) lacing.

If you need a new rim, there isn't anything specific about one that makes it a disc brake rim. (only needs specificity for rim brakes). So you can pick the rim that best suits your tire needs (rim width vs tire width, etc) and strength needed for load carrying depending on your needs and conditions.

There's a number of threads you can find around the forums discussing rims/spokes and wheelbuilding in general; Chalo names various good rims in some of them. Spoke size is also discussed in those.

If you have a 32 hole rim and a 36 hole hub, you can lace them together; there are patterns that work for this.

See the ebikes.ca spoke calculator for all the different lengths required and the pattern you will end up with. (you'll need to read it's directions and measure your rim and hub as indicated there, to use that info in the calculator; this is true for which spokes to get for any rim and hub combination, as it's dependent on both of them).

Sheldon Brown's site also discusses this (and other mismatched) lacing.

If you need a new rim, there isn't anything specific about one that makes it a disc brake rim. (only needs specificity for rim brakes). So you can pick the rim that best suits your tire needs (rim width vs tire width, etc) and strength needed for load carrying depending on your needs and conditions.

There's a number of threads you can find around the forums discussing rims/spokes and wheelbuilding in general; Chalo names various good rims in some of them. Spoke size is also discussed in those.
Many thanks for your reply most appreciated.
I’ll take a look a look at the wheel building threads to get a better idea of what’s involved.
Thanks again 👍🏻

Back