ebikes on Tour de Cure?

jkbrigman

10 kW
Soon, the season for the Tour de Cure rides will begin. I've searched the internet and the Tour de Cure websites (example for my area: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?fr_id=8620&pg=entry ) and I see nothing mentioned about using an ebike on the ride.

Does anyone on E-S have experience riding in an ADA Tour de Cure ride with an ebike? If so, can you share what that was like on this thread?

Thanks;
JKB

For the most part, IMHO, the organizers just want you to participate and contribute to the event. I have ridden in half a dozen charity rides with the only electric assist there. Never have asked if it was okay or been told not to ride. However, I have always been with one or more friends and rode at normal (or even slower) pedal bike speeds.

There has always been some interest in the e-bike by other riders, but no big deal. They are rides, not races. I would say go for it, enjoy the ride, and be a good ambassador for e-bikes. :D

Rassy - thank you for your feedback on this (increasingly more) important topic.

Which of your ebikes did you ride on your events? I see in your .sig you have both the trike and a 700c conversion listed.

If I'm going to ride an ebike in a Tour de Cure, suddenly, stealth is important to me. Not because I care what anyone thinks of me - but because I want to send the message that the bicycle part of an ebike is important, that the bicycle half of the ebike is just as important to me as the electric half. To the point that I'm willing to try to do a conversion of a road bike - clip-in pedals and all - so-as to maximize speed and efficiency as much as possible.

Hrm. I'll give it some more thought. Please, tell more about your participation using an ebike - I'd like to know how long the ride was, what your ride strategy was and how fast you ran. Did you stop at sag stops and did you have opportunity to help another biker who might have needed help.

Thanks;
JKB

Hey JKB, as far as the bike, I have used a LWB recumbent with a pusher trailer, the same bike with front hub and the battery on the rear rack, a tadpole trike with a pusher trailer, and the same tadpole setup with a mid-drive and battery on the rear rack.

At one ride I had the motor pretty well covered with coroplast (see current avatar). But the different variations didn't really make much difference, and I prefer to leave things more or less exposed so anyone interested can see how it works. I always pedal, because I like to and it helps keep me in shape, and since I ride with pedal only friends many aren't even aware I can cheat.

I remember one day I went ahead up a steep hill and passed several decked out road bikers. A little later while stopped to rest my buddy overheard one of them say "what's up with the old guy on the recumbent with the lunch box on the rack?". I don't think they knew it was electric assist and probably thought those 'bents really can charge up the hills.

Most of the rides have been either 50 miles or metric centuries. Haven't had an occasion to assist anyone outside of the friends I ride with. So far the bike or trike has always completed the ride without problems except for having to let the controller cool a few times on the old brushed setup.

And you bet we stop for the goodies at the rest stops. :D

I'm feeling more and more chicken. Not about riding in the Tour de Cure, but about riding an ebike in the TdeC.
I wish I had an "ultra-stealth build" to try out. Tiny little eZee rear hub geared motor, teeny tiny controller and maybe a couple water bottle LiPo packs. :)

JKB

Hey guys!
We did a 20 mile "Ride for Pink" thing here and the only problem was getting the trikes to the start. Friend with a pickup helped. Ride was fine and no-one even blinked with the 2 electrics. If we had gas engines I believe they might have said something. Go for it! Many thought the trikes were cool.
otherDoc

Keep talkin, keep talkin. I might take the Phat Bike yet.

EDIT: I chickened out this year. Why? I just don't have the faith that the Phat Bike is where it needs to be to make an 80 mile ride... :oops:
But I'm working on it and it'll be there...soon. If I could just hurry up and win the lotto so I could devote myself full-time to ebikes....
(Whoa...did I say that out loud? :shock: )

Back