Electric conversion bike security

CrogWelly

1 µW
Interested in hearing from eBike commuters who leave their rides in a public place during the work day.

I will be leaving my bike at a subway station, locked in a bike cage for the whole day. Access to the bike cage is by card and is only partly secure as many commuters have access. Valuable components will be vulnerable to theft. The battery, controller, thumb throttle, LCD display etc.

What components do you take off the bike ?

Thanks

Mostly depends on the area crime statistics, specifically bike crime statistics at and near the location and hours you will be leaving it.

For example, in my area there is rampant ongoing nonstop bicycle theft and I would not leave a bike at a mass transit hub, even in a bike cage.

A hidden GPS tracker or Airtag might be of use, if you will not be too far away when you get an alert.

For sure take the battery with you. Thumb throttle not much value, is your controller a blingy one?

Thanks for the advice. Yes controller has a big lcd screen and looks cool. SO I have thought about disconnecting it and taking it with me.

I don’t trust the cages. I used these when I was commuting/working. They’re pretty secure and require a lot of time to break into. Now I only use them when going to some stores, or as a backup plan if I have a breakdown or flat. I can push the bike to one to secure it, and make my way home to pick up my truck.

bike-locker-1280.jpg

I saw an ebike parked at the train station, locked to a pole, right next to these lockers the other day. Was still there when I passed by 5 hours later.

I've been doing this for about 15 years I've had two bikes stolen for me. One when I ran in to Ralphs to get up Gatorade by the time I got out my bike was gone I saw a man in a white van with a bunch of bikes driving off I looked in there and didn't see my bike these bikes are thrown in there. I think the guy who took my bike it was unlocked down the hill to Jack in The box and that same van with those bikes thrown inside went down picked him up and they got on the freeway and drove away the guy in the van had a cell phone the guy taking the bike had his cell phone probably. The other time I was at a big festival and I locked my bike to a fence I came out later it was gone.
I met a 17 year old kid with an e-bike and I said oh good that you built that he said no my 15 year old brother built it I got his phone number and his brother came over a couple times then he told me his brother went down to the beach at 5:00 a.m. in the morning to surf he locked his bike to a 20 ft long pole with cement on it for a light yes it was laying down but a guy and a girl drove up on a e bike up on the beach the guy got off stole the bike and his girlfriend drove off on their e-bike later on the the lock was found in the girls bathroom.
He got on the website surfline that takes pictures or video of the surf and he got the guy in the girl driving up the guy got off took the bike probably just put it in their truck in the parking lot and drove back to where they came from.
I live in a quieter Beach town but up in Newport and Huntington Beach forget it they steal bikes
This was done talk to text

Back