Electric drift trike

shorza

10 kW
No pictures yet as it's not quite finished.

[youtube]TXuJZnyNkuc[/youtube]

I recently bought this homemade drift trike off eBay for the purpose of electrifying it.

Here are the specifics:
500W DIRECT DRIVE HUB MOTOR IN ALEX WHEEL from Cellman. Great service.
S12S 500W TORQUE SIMULATION SINE WAVE CONTROLLER with LCD display from BMSbattery.
48V 10AH LI-ION ALLOY 01-CASE EBIKE BATTERY PACK from BMSbattery.
TRIAD REAR WHEELS

I took it for a spin the other day, and everything went well. It's a load of fun.

Two problems that I need to fix.
1 - The motor and controller got too hot after about 20 minutes use. That is an easy fix by adjusting the power limit on the controller's LCD attachment.
2 - I need some foot pegs. I can't use regular BMX pegs as the motor's phase wire exit through the axle. I am thinking of drilling through the forks to insert a bolt for pegs, but i am unsure if it will weaken them too much.

Picture to come when I get this foot peg problem fixed.
Any ideas?

The Schwinn OCC Stingray had optional fold down foot pegs on the front fork. Maybe you could adapt a pair of those to clamp around the fork legs.There a a pair of new ones on ebay for sale that you could look at for ideas.

shorza said:
... 2 - I need some foot pegs. I can't use regular BMX pegs as the motor's phase wire exit through the axle. I am thinking of drilling through the forks to insert a bolt for pegs, but i am unsure if it will weaken them too much....
fork looks like a steel fork. why not just weld two bolts there and screw on the pegs:

drift.jpg

I was thinking that, but i don't have a welder so think it'll be too much trouble to take it somewhere to get done.

I am thinking of buying some 12mm pegs and feeling the wires through it. Thanks for your help.

How's the trike going? A friend and I are converting Huffy Sliders at the moment, also in Melbourne. Would be good to know if you solved your motor and peg issues?

Back