Electric Motorcycle (50cc Equivalant)

Boulter EV said:
Here's a picture of one of my bikes nearing completion.

boulter_EV.jpg

Beautiful work on the frame and battery pack. That is a pretty impressive rear sprocket, what is the reduction ratio?

Thanks! I use a 140t sprocket on the wheel and 12t on the motor. It's 11.6:1

It's #219 chain used on go carts. I got these custom sprockets from rocket sprockets.

The motor does about 6000rpm. The bike is mechanically restricted to around 37mph with those sprockets, I took one bike to 60mph once but the brakes aren't up to it. I needed new underwear after that ride.

litespeed said:
That is an amazing looking bike!

Wow.

Agreed. Slick looking and purposeful. If it weighs and works as good as it looks, I think it's a winner.

Boulter EV said:
Here's a picture of one of my bikes nearing completion.
Wow, that looks amazing, and that battery has blown my mind. I'm in the UK too, West London, and am in the middle of a custom battery-in-frame build using a Specialized MTB as a donor frame. I've more or less completed the frame mods but need to re-do it as I've used the wrong grade of ally :oops: Just waiting for some 6082 to come in so am concentrating on the battery build, but it's not even on the same planet as yours :mrgreen: though I am experimenting with copper and brass for the connecting bars having been inspired by spinningmagnets posts, and I think I've got it sussed :D. I really need to start my own thread.

Thanks! You should start your own thread! I would like to see your frame and battery! Whats the battery going to be size wise? have you thought about spot welding with nickle steel tabs? It's by far the easiest route in my opinion. I do like spinning magnets solution though I have to say!

I'll start a thread soon in ebike general discussion. My battery will be 14S4P to give me 52v 12ah using Samsung 30Qs and I've got a BBSHD from LunaCycle. I've found that I can spot weld 0.3mm brass strip onto the cells which will be pre-soldered to 0.5mm copper. I'll apply some form of corrosion protection, though I don't see how any corrosion on the copper will affect it's conductivity as the current will flow through the copper within. I'll attach a pic of the frame when I figure out how to re-size it :? .

I am very impressed by your design. Did you capture any of your frame fabrication in photos? I'd love to see any details on how you made that frame as it meet my definition of "perfect" very very well. I'd buy that frame in a heartbeat if it were commercially available.

-Jim

kingjamez said:
I am very impressed by your design. Did you capture any of your frame fabrication in photos? I'd love to see any details on how you made that frame as it meet my definition of "perfect" very very well. I'd buy that frame in a heartbeat if it were commercially available.

-Jim
thanks Jim! Great to hear some feedback. I have a few shots of the build in progress that I'll post soon. I do plan to make a small number of bikes to sell soon but in the U.K. only. I may also sell frames on their own if people are interested.

How would you go with insuring one? As I understand you would have to get a Q plate. The last time I was going through with insurance I couldn't find a single company who would allow self built motorcycles :(

multifrag said:
How would you go with insuring one? As I understand you would have to get a Q plate. The last time I was going through with insurance I couldn't find a single company who would allow self built motorcycles :(
hi there. This bike doesn't classify as a self build. Because I have a company, this bike counts as a new vehicle. In the U.K. you can do a single vehicle type approval and then you're ready to roll. It has a number plate with current reg etc. I use a company called lexham insurance. They are a broker and have a few companies that will underwrite unique vehicles. Zero motor cycles used to use this company too when they had a presence in th UK. I had a zero XU insured by them too. Not even very expensive.

Great work on the frame and engineering.

Even with a self build in the UK, if you use all new parts and can show the receipts you can register as a new build. This also means that you don't need an MOT test until the vehicle is three years old, from it's date of registration.

Looks like this is not the first version - see: https://boulterev.wordpress.com/ Here is a picture from the site, looks like it was taken in 2013.

boulter-ev-1-2013-05-31-09-57-51.jpg
I love the work by the way. Looks like this one was road legal as well, I can see you have changed the frame design slightly (less cross bracing), what else has changed? how did the original perform?

-Spata

Ah ha, good spot! I didn't even know this was still there!

Yes, this was a while ago, first bike I got road legal to prove the concept.

I used turnigy batteries at the time but decided to build by own packs as there was nothing, and there is still nothing available off the shelf that's good enough.

Nice work, good to see folk actually making a motorbike if they're doing motorbike speeds on real roads!
Also nice to see a burgeoning community of brits doing this quality of work.
Just done a quick google - you'e doing this professionally so free stuff won't happen :) But good luck with the venture!

Looks good. Is it just a one off, or do you intend on producing more of them?

bobc said:
Hey BEV
all the normal stuff, batteries, balance/charge control, motor drives... Most of it documented on here :)
I've been reading your arduino cell balancing thread, I'm not going to comment on it yet because I've got about 6 months more to read but I'm looking forward to finding out how you got on! Because your using relays can you active cell balance? Or are you still using the top down approach?

I'm still reading through everything here to catch up but thought I might chip in with a few links.

There are legal brakes available here:
http://www.magura.com/en/components/bike/speedemobilityseries/productdetailpage/?p=2594

Legal e-marked lights here:
http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/m99-pro
http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/m99-taillight

Switches and other electricals:

http://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/switches/

My feeling is that this has to be the way to go.
There are some crazy builds out there, that are motorbikes in all but name. A Vector or Enduro with a big motor and battery can be made legal, as Warrah has shown.

Me personally, once the money allows I'm building one just to learn how to get through the SVA etc then start putting them out here.

Thanks for all the inspiration! :D

Back