Electric Mountain board- 6374-s, Tgy SS200A's on 5s HD vids!

I have been looking for some high cell ESCs for cars but haven't found much lately. Does anyone know some good high cell ESCS 10S-16S?

sn0wchyld - I seen that 8S 200A ESC I thought it looked pretty good. I wanted to try it out too. Also seen your video, what are you using to record?

How quick is your board with the 5S I assume you also using the 63mm motors? Do you know your total wattage output using the 5S batteries? Do you know if there is a way to test this as well?

Where are you placing your batteries, I don't see it on any of your photos?

Laureloke - I think the Turnigy Aerodrive 6364-192kv is the best one.

torqueboards said:
I'm currently riding a electric longboard and have dual 3250watt motors at 10S and it will seriously throw me off at the startup and I'm set at the lowest settings. I ride goofy and I can't tell you how many times I fell on my left arm. It's like sore 1 day and then fine the next then sore 1-2 days later, consistently. If I don't pay attention my ass is on the ground and my arm is hurting from catching myself falling. I wish I could make it lower. I'm a baby with the throttle and slightly increase it so I know I'm stuck on the board.

Occasionally, I'll just be relaxing riding and accidentally pull on the trigger to hard and the board flies underneath me and I fall backwards. Thing is dangerous if not paying attention.
Try to shift the weight on the front foot and a little sit down. Also, your shoulders should be in front of as many as possible. In this case, even with strong acceleration wheels will slip but the board do not throw you down.

If after that you still will not be able to travel without falling, you can always rearrange the motors on the front drive.

torqueboards said:
I have been looking for some high cell ESCs for cars but haven't found much lately. Does anyone know some good high cell ESCS 10S-16S?

sn0wchyld - I seen that 8S 200A ESC I thought it looked pretty good. I wanted to try it out too. Also seen your video, what are you using to record?

How quick is your board with the 5S I assume you also using the 63mm motors? Do you know your total wattage output using the 5S batteries? Do you know if there is a way to test this as well?

Where are you placing your batteries, I don't see it on any of your photos?

Laureloke - I think the Turnigy Aerodrive 6364-192kv is the best one.

the board currently tops out at around 40km'h on 5s. Yes, its using twin 6374's, though only one in the vid I posted. Peak amps is around 90 per motor, though this tapers off quickly. so peak power is somewhere around 3500W, maybe 3000 output? Not crazy power but more than enough to have fun with. my next one will be closer to 5kw... any more than that is just silly if you ask me (though strapping aroplane motors to a board is kinda silly in itself!)
This was tested by using a watt meter (hobbyking style one) attached to half my battery pack. So if it reads 90A, then I'm using a total of 180, 90 per motor.

Batteries are placed in 2 custom made cases between my feet. I'll post a pic of 'em soon for ya. pm me if i forget.

Camera is a gen 1 gopro. Planning on upgrading to a sony action cam soon, since I've chipped the lens on my gopro. :(

Laureloke said:
torqueboards said:
I'm currently riding a electric longboard and have dual 3250watt motors at 10S and it will seriously throw me off at the startup and I'm set at the lowest settings. I ride goofy and I can't tell you how many times I fell on my left arm. It's like sore 1 day and then fine the next then sore 1-2 days later, consistently. If I don't pay attention my ass is on the ground and my arm is hurting from catching myself falling. I wish I could make it lower. I'm a baby with the throttle and slightly increase it so I know I'm stuck on the board.

Occasionally, I'll just be relaxing riding and accidentally pull on the trigger to hard and the board flies underneath me and I fall backwards. Thing is dangerous if not paying attention.
Try to shift the weight on the front foot and a little sit down. Also, your shoulders should be in front of as many as possible. In this case, even with strong acceleration wheels will slip but the board do not throw you down.

If after that you still will not be able to travel without falling, you can always rearrange the motors on the front drive.

good advice. you could also try setting your max throttle to 90 or 80%. its not the best situation for the controller (makes it work a little harder, thus more likely to fail, though only slightly) but should help tame the power. you could also try a different transmitter... as they can vary quite a bit in how quickly they ramp up the throttle, some even enable you to adjust the throttle ramp and other settings. You could even use a ebikes.ca cycle analyst V3. this not only has throttle ramp settings, but you can also run it as a amp based throttle, rather than a RPM based one. so when you ask for 50% throttle, you get 50% of your max amps, rather than your controller doing all it can to get your motor to 50% of its max speed (ie dump massive ammounts of amps into it!)

Hello, sn0wchyld.
I have an idea of setting car or moto horn (6v) on board, because sometimes pedestrians crowd the sidewalk and prevent pass.
But i don't know is it possible to realise this idea with Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz 2Ch Tx & Rx :roll:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10608
For example using wheel on Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz for making some noise. :twisted:

Attachments

• HK-GT2.jpg
    HK-GT2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,653
Laureloke said:
Hello, sn0wchyld.
I have an idea of setting car or moto horn (6v) on board, because sometimes pedestrians crowd the sidewalk and prevent pass.
But i don't know is it possible to realise this idea with Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz 2Ch Tx & Rx :roll:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10608
For example using wheel on Hobby King GT-2 2.4Ghz for making some noise. :twisted:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8833&aff=326255
attach that to the 'steering' channel of your rx system... then you can attach your horn to the other end, and at a flick of the steering wheel you'll sound your horn!

Three days ago I made an experiment with bord and 4 LiPo 8s 5800mA/h (23200mA/h) :idea:
Some time people in the city that I live in asking me: How long could I ride on board or what is the fastest speed? This was interesting for me too. :roll:
So I instaled GPS tracker on my HTC and rode in the city some days. After that I analized results and came to the folowing results: maximum speed - 22 km/h (one motor 149kv); I spend ~1% of battery charge per 0,5 km (in the city)
Than I opened google maps and found road length 30km with bus stops every ~5-7 km (in case something would go wrong) and with the train station in the end of destination.
Battaries was charged on 82%. The road was full of cars :roll: , but drivers go around me gently. The whole road took ~2 hours. Average speed was 17-21 km/h (gps tracker). I sometimes stayed for 5-10 minutes to take a break, because to go all time on straight or bent legs pretty hard. :?
The result: When I came to a little city (it was my destination), battaries was ~46% charged and I even had an idea to come back by board, but then after may be 10-15 minnutes of riding in the city something gone wrong with battaries, because after every 150-200 meters I started loosing ~5% of charge. :cry: When It was 26% I heard a signal from my Cell meter and I saw on display "cell voltage is too low". EMB rode still well, but I decided not to risk. I stoped when charge was 21% and than just walked. :pancake: Train station wasn't far, so I was very lucky that this strange situation happed in the end of my destination, not in the middle of my trip. :)

Сonclusion: next time I will ride by car, but it was a learning experience :)

@Laureloke - I would carry a spare battery in your backpack or something. I ride with 2x 8000mah in 10S and 2x 5000mah in 10S. I bring my other set of batteries if I feel I may need to ride further than normal or if I'm testing my batteries and once they run out I pop in my other set of batteries. Seems to work nice for now. Would like to make a pretty sturdy/shock proof case for my batteries. Maybe, in the future.

torqueboards said:
@Laureloke - I would carry a spare battery in your backpack or something. I ride with 2x 8000mah in 10S and 2x 5000mah in 10S. I bring my other set of batteries if I feel I may need to ride further than normal or if I'm testing my batteries and once they run out I pop in my other set of batteries. Seems to work nice for now. Would like to make a pretty sturdy/shock proof case for my batteries. Maybe, in the future.
Torque,
Approx how much ride time do you get on the two batt setups you mentioned? Time, distance, terrain? I plan to start with two 8s 5800mah and eventually move to 4 8s 5800mah.

Vapology said:
torqueboards said:
Torque,
Approx how much ride time do you get on the two batt setups you mentioned? Time, distance, terrain? I plan to start with two 8s 5800mah and eventually move to 4 8s 5800mah.

depending on how hard you keep your tires/terrain I'd guess about 45min with 8s 11.6ah, for cruisey riding. i get the best part of an hour with 360wh (5s20ah) with mixed riding on my setup, and I only discharge to about 3.7v resting.

torque, why not just put the 2nd pack in parallel with your first when going on a long ride? you'll actually get slightly more range than using each pack separately (less voltage sag) and then you're boards carrying the extra weight rather than your shoulders?

I have the 5000mah because my 8000mah packs were acting up and 2 cells aren't charging fully. I have no idea how they got so unbalanced. I opted for the 5000mah since they are much cheaper and if they are to get unbalanced again it isn't such a big hit on my pocket book.

I'm starting to like the 5000mah packs in all sizes 6S, 8S, 10S. It's perfect for short rides under 10-12 miles I think. It's very easy to carry a spare pack in a backpack for a total of about 10,000mah and doesn't take too long to change maybe 3-4 minutes if even. It is also much thinner which is another plus not so much with 5S lol since it's 5 Cells.

Vapology said:
Torque,

@Vapology - I'm not sure exactly how far I get with it as the terrain I ride on is uphill and downhill a lot. I can run it for about 2-3 hours straight maybe even up to 4/5 hours. I'd say somewhere around 8-12 miles with hills and downhill riding my brakes. 15-18 if it was fully flat ground with my 8000mah.

With my 5000mah, I can easily get about 2.5 or a little more hours. Pretty decent, nowhere near what I would use in a full day. I don't ride a whole lot though maybe about 6-12 miles per day. Averaging being about 8-9 miles. That's discharged to about 3.5-3.7v.

sn0wchyld said:
Torque,

@sn0wchyld - Yeah, I could put all the batteries on the board but it would get too heavy with all the batteries on it and I don't have room for them. My board is an Earthwing MiniGlider which is 33" I also don't feel the batteries in my backpack so my shoulders don't even notice it.

thought I'd post a quick update on this build. I'm still working out a few small issues with my new machiene, but i've made some parts to upgrade the motor mounts, making them far lighter and a bit more compact. I'll be switching to 8s lipo too, and 219 chain...

IMG_0302.JPG

they're deceptively smooth - the surface that looks like its covered in ridges is near perfectly smooth, you cant feel any ridges whatsoever running your finger across them.

Very Nice!
Those mounts are exactly whats needed. I like that there's no unnecessary bulk to them.

Man Snow how do you fit uni in with all these cool rides

What do you think about using 2 cystalyte hs 3035 hubs laced into some 10" bike rims then you could run ebike controllers and regen not sure on controller thou maybe a foot throttle side to side I do alot of snow boarding here at perisher would be cool to do it all year.
Cheers Kiwi

kiwiev said:

What do you think about using 2 cystalyte hs 3035 hubs laced into some 10" bike rims then you could run ebike controllers and regen not sure on controller thou maybe a foot throttle side to side I do alot of snow boarding here at perisher would be cool to do it all year.
Cheers Kiwi

Cheers mate,

hahah mate lets just say there's a reason my current norko build is still sitting here in my workshop... only about 1 day off being done, and has been 1 day off being done for about 3 weeks! Its my final year, so im utterly flat out on my honors project, its probably taking up 30+ odd hours a week on its own, and i've got 2 other subjects that ive got to pass too!

Ive thought of doing that, maybe even using mac motors... but they're kinda heavy compared to a 6374 and a reduction stage, not to mention the issue of the axles being supported by only 1 side on a mountain board, so that means custom machining new ones. I havent had time to finish off the new motor mounts for this build yet, much less think of something like that! hahah bloody hell just looked back on this thread, i finished them more than a YEAR ago and i still haven't even used them once! I gotta stop taking on new projects and just finish some off i think. First though i need a 10 day week heheh.

Still, im finishing up in november, so between finishing and hopefully finding some work in the new year I should have some time to finish off a few projects, including my custom bike frame... Just gotta decide between a RV120s or a rV160s :twisted: :twisted:

Edit
also getting way better at machining and pushing my cnc router harder (or rather, better!) those 2 parts from memory took me well over 2 hrs each last time, including the 2 setups to cut it all out. Now it'd take me about 20min at the most. crazy how hard you can push these little machines when you get the settings right!

sn0wchyld said:
kiwiev said:

Cheers Kiwi

Cheers mate,

hahah mate lets just say there's a reason my current norko build is still sitting here in my workshop... only about 1 day off being done, and has been 1 day off being done for about 3 weeks! Its my final year, so im utterly flat out on my honors project, its probably taking up 30+ odd hours a week on its own, and i've got 2 other subjects that ive got to pass too!

Ive thought of doing that, maybe even using mac motors... but they're kinda heavy compared to a 6374 and a reduction stage, not to mention the issue of the axles being supported by only 1 side on a mountain board, so that means custom machining new ones. I havent had time to finish off the new motor mounts for this build yet, much less think of something like that! hahah bloody hell just looked back on this thread, i finished them more than a YEAR ago and i still haven't even used them once! I gotta stop taking on new projects and just finish some off i think. First though i need a 10 day week heheh.

Still, im finishing up in november, so between finishing and hopefully finding some work in the new year I should have some time to finish off a few projects, including my custom bike frame... Just gotta decide between a RV120s or a rV160s :twisted: :twisted:

Edit
also getting way better at machining and pushing my cnc router harder (or rather, better!) those 2 parts from memory took me well over 2 hrs each last time, including the 2 setups to cut it all out. Now it'd take me about 20min at the most. crazy how hard you can push these little machines when you get the settings right!

Cheers Snow so what are you majoring in?

Cheers kiwi

kiwiev said:
sn0wchyld said:
kiwiev said:

Cheers Kiwi

Cheers mate,

Edit

Cheers Snow so what are you majoring in?

Cheers kiwi

must have missed the Q mate sorry
Doing electrical engineering. Just finished and looking like i've got a job! pretty stoked given the job market where i am is dismal.

pendragon8000 said:
HA , slight delay.
thats great news mate, is it in Adelaide?
My workshop will be up and running in a month or so. :) gotta catch up soon!

for sure mate. I'll be getting a lathe and a few other new bits soon too, 3d printer is still up on blocks though waiting for some replacement parts. I'm planning to upgrade the router too in probably 6-12 months to get a bigger cutting envelope (about 1.5x1.0x0.5m)

yea jobs in adelaide, only about 20min by bike too with secure storage on site. winner winner chicken dinner :p

Back