Electric Mountain Board Build log

If you are just accelerating too fast, you can change the settings on the ESC. That will help it slow down. Set it to soft start and see how that helps. Other option is to lose weight - someone told me that for kiteboarding. Never worked for me though.
Have you had issues with the chain popping on the 8 tooth sprocket? That isn't giving you many teeth to work with.

TB-
50cc is a bit of an exaggeration. 50cc is 3-4kw depending on the whose numbers you use. Those motors are really around 2500w. Probably more like 40cc, so total of 80cc for a two motor setup. Which is still quite a bit of power.

dirkdiggler said:
If you are just accelerating too fast, you can change the settings on the ESC. That will help it slow down. Set it to soft start and see how that helps. Other option is to lose weight - someone told me that for kiteboarding. Never worked for me though.
Have you had issues with the chain popping on the 8 tooth sprocket? That isn't giving you many teeth to work with.

TB-
50cc is a bit of an exaggeration. 50cc is 3-4kw depending on the whose numbers you use. Those motors are really around 2500w. Probably more like 40cc, so total of 80cc for a two motor setup. Which is still quite a bit of power.

I dont foresee myself loosing weight :p doesn't work for me either.

I dont seam to have any problems with the 8 tooth sprocket, but I do have really good alignment.

The hobbyking ESCs are set to soft start, but they still start off very aggressively.

JBallard86 said:
dirkdiggler said:

TB-

I dont foresee myself loosing weight :p doesn't work for me either.

I dont seam to have any problems with the 8 tooth sprocket, but I do have really good alignment.

The hobbyking ESCs are set to soft start, but they still start off very aggressively.

Set the throttle to exponential. This means you will have less power with only a small amount of throttle and exponentially more when you give more throttle.

Murfix said:
Set the throttle to exponential. This means you will have less power with only a small amount of throttle and exponentially more when you give more throttle.

I will have to give this a try when i get the controller.

on a second note I orderered those items @ http://alienpowersystem.com/ a week or so ago, it still says processing and I sent an email a couple days ago requesting an update. is he "I believe its bruno" typically pretty quick I know theres a good time difference between him and I.

Yes, he's buried under a pile of work I think, but he always answers quickly in my experience.

dirkdiggler said:
So what ESC are you using now? I thought you had the alien ESC.

negative I have ordered it.

Currently I am using dual Hobbyking brand 150a ESC, they have very few options, and the few options dont seam to do anything different. and both controllers have the same settings enabled, but each one controls a little differently.

on a second note I orderered those items @ http://alienpowersystem.com/ a week or so ago, it still says processing and I sent an email a couple days ago requesting an update. is he "I believe its bruno" typically pretty quick I know theres a good time difference between him and I.

When I ordered it was shipped at the same day and I didn`t even have to pay tax. I think he sent it as a sample. I`m sure he is busy with something.

I don't know what to tell you then. In theory you shouldn't be having many issues. Wish life worked that way. The only suggestion I can think of is maybe changing the timing if you've messed with everything else. I'm about 200lbs and don't have any problems. Your deck is also probably a bit heavier too.
Hope the alien ESC fixes things for you.

dirkdiggler said:
I don't know what to tell you then. In theory you shouldn't be having many issues. Wish life worked that way. The only suggestion I can think of is maybe changing the timing if you've messed with everything else. I'm about 200lbs and don't have any problems. Your deck is also probably a bit heavier too.
Hope the alien ESC fixes things for you.

How do you have yours timed?

Quick update, Alien ESC arrived, programmed it, temporarily ziptied everything to the board and took it for a drive. less cogging, but pretty easy to get moving. I ran my 5mah battery down pretty quick, its a 7s, and i ran it down under 14 volts a few times before i realized how dangerous that can be with lipo. so it doesnt really last that long.

Next step is to mount the battery box/electronics in a more elegant manner. I need to add some metal to the deck (2 more ribs) since the battery pack ended up being wider than the center section. And mounting tabs need to be welded on for everything as well.

I wont be off while there is daylight outside tel christmas eve/christmas. If I have time during that time I will get a new up to date video.

Did you get it up and running? Seems like a nice project / board you had there!

Back