Electro&Co EC4P

Barncat

1 kW
Any users out there who've put some hard miles on this motor? Considering buying one soon... at 300 bucks shipped it looks to be a pretty fair deal. They've done a nice YouTube video ad/teardown.

Given the 100% reliability and good performance/value of the (3) 3000W MY1020's I have, this would be an upgrade- and very easy to program in vesc-tool for the Flipsky 75200 on hand. Claimed 14kw bursts. Should run even smoother with 4 pole pairs instead of 3. Significantly larger diameter higher torque rotor. Thinner laminations. Claimed high temp windings and magnets with upgraded hall sensors. Shell is all fins and would run cooler. I'd probably still drill the end caps for street use as I don't ride in rain. Very high voltage rating at claimed 30s- I'd use 20s. Probably weighs 11ish lbs, which is better than the 17-20lbs of the next tier mid motors, and 200 bucks less.

Last edited:
Yes that's the one. Thanks A-damW.

My guess is it's made by the same factory that does the MY1020's. Based on the specs, I'm pretty sure I can get 60mph out of one with gearing and a 20s5p p42a pack.

Yes that's the one. Thanks A-damW.

My guess is it's made by the same factory that does the MY1020's. Based on the specs, I'm pretty sure I can get 60mph out of one with gearing and a 20s5p p42a pack.

What " specs"? The claimed contin power of the ( that) motor?
The Ir of a 5p of a 20A cell? a 40mOh pack ?
60mph?

idk about that. would love to se it happen tho. Lol @ the " 14kW peak " number without a " contin": number. Last week they were at " 11kW peak max burst"..

So good luck. IDK about 60mph. Good luck tho.

DogDipstick- your commentary is unclear. And please see sentence one of my original post. And the Molicel 21700 P42A is a 45A cell.

I now have some experience in these matters, and a brief 60mph peak running downwind on the flat is a reasonable target if the EC4P operates in the ballpark of their advertised specs without blowing a magnet- which would be my main concern.

Is it IPM or SPM? If it's IPM, it shouldn't have any problmes with the magnets coming off the rotor.

SPM, well, that depends on the glue used to secure them. IIRC there were some experiments with Zero 75-series motors to use Kevlar wraps on the rotor to help with that; I dont' recall the results.

It's SPM, and according to their YouTube video, the rotor is Kevlar wrapped. Which is all fine if it works. The MY motors use thin steel bands to retain the magnets- Kevlar is of course a higher tech approach.

Anyone interested can easily find the video to examine the internals. To my eye the segmented magnets in their example have axially shifted by .032 or so, which is not ideal.

If anyone on site has actually used one let me know...

Last edited:
If the magnets can shift (even ty tiny amounts), I'd say that they aren't glued down correctly (or not sufficiently, anyway) for the motor's intended usage / specified capabilities. Might just be me....

Back