Elica: Japans Electric Super Car

Like a lot of retired folks I need to get a job just so I can take a day off. The other day I TIVO'd a program on the HDNET called Elica: Japans Electric Super Car and rather than watch Donald Trump I watched it this evening. WOW. Elica is a eight wheeled 400 KM per hour hub motor automobile that looks a lot like a Peugot and goes faster than a 911 which it beat to 160 KMH by 2 full seconds.

Part of the program takes us to battery manufacturers in China who coincidentally are making electric cars. The LiPO4't they are making are made in a plant as clean as hospital operating room and the car facility is just the same. The opportunity to see these folks in action is astounding and should make every person in the United States and Western Europe ashamed.

The program was set in the initial testing phase showing the problems overcome with the motors and financial development in 2004 and doesn't take us past that point. Mitsubishi was showing a interest but no agreements were reached as the program ended. Since I watched the rather lousy production CNN did on this years Detroit Auto Show earlier this week and observed how the announcers destroyed the Chinese cars by showing a failed safety test over and over again I feel that once they get the safety portion down they will be a formidable opponent to the Big Three and Japanese manufacturers.

If you can find it I recommend watching it. I haven't tried googling it but unfortunately since I changed from Satellite to Bright House Cable I haven't figured out how to copy it to tape yet. I also recorded it in high def which means it's taking up a lot of room on the TIVO and I don't know how long my bride will let it stay on there before it gets written over by a Dr. Phil show. Great program, I highly recommend it.

Mike

Back