Em3ev

2 years old 29E still running strong. When you crunch the numbers and consider the risk with those 30-90 days warranties and fix it yourself deals, suddenly the price isn't outrageous. The attacks and vitriol ought to settle the story. I made my apologies for not understanding the care that EM 3ev operates with. Top shelf at fair prices.

JTL said:
I have heard very good things about this company but the shipping cost and time is insane. I ordered a battery a week ago and as far as I can tell it has not shipped. I am not blaming the company because they said delivery in 5-7 days but they might want to consider a US based distribution center (even if it is someones garage).

Hi JTL,

This is Joseph from EM3ev.

We have just moved to a new premises in another city and things have been pretty hectic as a result. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated to get everything up to speed. We are still getting some of our systems in place, but normal operations have resumed this week. If you get back to us, at orders@em3ev.com we can give you a discount for the delay.

For those that are interested, very shortly we will be showing a behind the scenes peek at how our battery packs are made, the machines that produce them and our new facility on our Facebook Page.

KarlJ said:
... Spares cheap and readily available for both MACs and batteries (BMS boards / individual cells to DIY etc). ...
Regarding that ...
I recently purchased a battery from one of their US competitors and inquired about buying a spare BMS board.
Answer: not available for sale :cry: :evil:
I am not a happy puppy 'bout that and it is enough to put me off buying anything else from that vendor.

Joseph C. said:
JTL said:
I have heard very good things about this company but the shipping cost and time is insane. I ordered a battery a week ago and as far as I can tell it has not shipped. I am not blaming the company because they said delivery in 5-7 days but they might want to consider a US based distribution center (even if it is someones garage).

Hi JTL,

This is Joseph from EM3ev.

We have just moved to a new premises in another city and things have been pretty hectic as a result. It has taken us somewhat longer than we anticipated to get everything up to speed. We are still getting some of our systems in place, but normal operations have resumed this week. If you get back to us, at orders@em3ev.com we can give you a discount for the delay.

For those that are interested, very shortly we will be showing a behind the scenes peek at how our battery packs are made, the machines that produce them and our new facility on our Facebook Page.

Thanks Joseph,
It arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with the packing and the quality of the battery itself. As others have told me this is not a typical battery pack and certainly nothing most people could build on their own.
John

LewTwo said:
KarlJ said:
... Spares cheap and readily available for both MACs and batteries (BMS boards / individual cells to DIY etc). ...
Regarding that ...
I recently purchased a battery from one of their US competitors and inquired about buying a spare BMS board.
I am not a happy puppy 'bout that and it is enough to put me off buying anything else from that vendor.
That sucks! One of the suppliers for a well known and recently popular reseller is happy to sell a matching BMS. WF?

tomjasz said:
LewTwo said:
KarlJ said:
Regarding that ...
That sucks! One of the suppliers for a well known and recently popular reseller is happy to sell a matching BMS. WF?
JTL said:
Names would help :D
The Shark fit in my frame and the Dolphin would not.
Unfortunately Em3ev does not offer the Shark pack.
I purchased the 52 Volt Shark battery pack from Lunacycle.
There is NO advantage to dealing with a US based supplier if they can not (or will not) provide spare parts.

Fyi,
EM3EV told me via email that they are working on a new 48 volt battery in a slightly larger than normal Shark pack. They also said that they are working on a new web site and are in the middle of moving their operation to a new city...

LewTwo said:
There is NO advantage to dealing with a US based supplier if they can not

I've NEVER been a fan of the OEM batteries without on/off switches. But there's a reason for budget pricing. You get what you pay for. Some are happy. Others are not.

For a China source for BUDGET batts, Unit Pack Power. UPP will sell a BMS. I suspect EM3ev will as well. But there isn't a huge demand. In THOUSANDS of emails I never had a request for a spare BMS. I ordered spare BMS from UPP figuring it would save time if I needed to make a repair. Interestingly the BMS I bought from them is the same as in my friends Lunacycle battery.
I paid $12 for it when ordered with a battery. I have a BMS from EM3ev and by all appearances it's better than average quality.

Funny that there's only availability for production. It implies they are built here. I wish that unfounded and continued misrepresentation would go away. No one is building frame packs in the USA at those prices.

tomjasz said:
LewTwo said:
There is NO advantage to dealing with a US based supplier if they can not

I've NEVER been a fan of the OEM batteries without on/off switches. But there's a reason for budget pricing. You get what you pay for. Some are happy. Others are not.

For a China source for BUDGET batts, Unit Pack Power. UPP will sell a BMS. I suspect EM3ev will as well. But there isn't a huge demand. In THOUSANDS of emails I never had a request for a spare BMS. I ordered spare BMS from UPP figuring it would save time if I needed to make a repair. Interestingly the BMS I bought from them is the same as in my friends Lunacycle battery.
I paid $12 for it when ordered with a battery. I have a BMS from EM3ev and by all appearances it's better than average quality.

Funny that there's only availability for production. It implies they are built here. I wish that unfounded and continued misrepresentation would go away. No one is building frame packs in the USA at those prices.

I think they probably meant "replacement".

Elon Musk vs Wesnewell

You guys choose who you want to listen to with respect to lithium cell stability.

To me, it's not just about form factor, but also about who made it. We can argue all day about pie vs cake, but WHERE that damn dessert came from is more important to me. You can keep your supermarket made crap, I'll go to my favorite bakery.

Hoverboards were made with inferior cell tech and pack building practices. There are just as many LiPo pouch fires, if not more on here, as 18650 fires. Poorly built packs, no matter the form factor are dangerous.

Now, is it easier to build a reliable HK LiPo pouch pack with regularly available tools than an 18650 pack? Absolutely! That's why my packs are still HK LiPo, but I will be moving to 18650s eventually. I personally have too much invested in HK LiPo and tools to just jump ship.

To the subject of EM3EV packs, Paul (cell_man) takes much pride and care in the packs that he builds for ebikes. The same cannot be said for most vendors out there. True, his service does not cater well to those with millennial patience levels, but good things come to those who wait.

cal3thousand said:
True, his service does not cater well to those with millennial patience levels, but good things come to those who wait.
Spot on! The Amazon generation. Buy and expect immediate and personal service. Then send scores of emails googling valuable time. Sadly the new buyers never had to wait. They came in when there are more than a dozen sources. Just a couple of years ago WAIT was the way it was. And the wait from some has always been worth it. This "I emailed yesterday and why don't I have a detailed personal message instantly solving my issue" isn't what should be expected when building from a kit. It takes some work and research. I still laugh at the guy that posted on nearly every board complaining that Luna didn't provide him a complete list of tools and every possible contingency in a single document. What happened to learning, researching and building? To many whiners.

BTW charging HK Lipo in a BBQ in sub zero temps just don't cut it. Don't know about others homeowners insurance but I suspect most would be a real problem with a serious fire and a basic investigation. I appreciate the Lipo users. I bought and have all the needed bits, but it's just to cumbersome. Wes would be a first choice to sort a Yescom kit, but last to get battery advice. To many prejudices based on no experience.

There have been a couple of 18650 fires. One I know of was operator error. Bad decisions led to the fire. NOT the cell format. I guess the HK Lipo users would say the same about those packs but given the rejects experienced users report they don't sound very appealing for n00bs. Neptronix wrote a great primer but I still believe they should be left to the serious hobbyist, not the lamestream whiners.

The safety features we're beginning to see in packs like EM3ev are game changers IMO.

And yes, I apologized to Paul, because I was one of those spoiled asshats that just couldn't wait.

Back