Enertionboards.com | Eboard Hand Controller Design Challange

onloop

10 kW
I am in the initial concept & design phase for a new

Enertion Wireless Electric Skateboard Hand Controller

I started out conceptualizing this originally just to meet my own desires, I was confident I could come up with something reasonable to satisfy most people, but then I thought thats a bit selfish... I'm not the only who will be using it why not get the people to decide what they want.
So I would love to get some input from people on ES who may/will eventually be the users of the product.

> Please respond by submitting any of these:
1. Your own design that you would like to see made
2. Concept drawings
3. Feature requests
4. Pictures of other controllers on the market you like
5. Some words describing your perfect controller

The controller needs to be affordable so DIY electric board builders can consider it to use in their builds, so probably needs a retail price of $40-50ish

So don't get too crazy with your features!... It can't have a GPS systems OR heart rate monitors OR lazers etc.... I like designs to be simple, reliable, unique, functional & look/feel awesome!

THE PRIZES
:
1st prize:
FOR HAVING THE BEST DESIGN / IDEAS / INPUT
You will receive one of the controllers you helped design & an enertion shirt & hat. Sent anywhere in the world for FREE.

2nd prize:
FOR THE 2ND BEST DESIGN / IDEAS
One enertion wireless controller. Sent FREE anywhere in the world.

Disclaimer note: By replying to this thread with your ideas & designs you are granting permission to Jason Potter owner of enertion boards to use your designs/ideas. You will not be paid any royalties if your design or part of is used. If you dont agree with this don't post your ideas or reply to this thread. If your designs are eventually used however you will get eternal credit for your vision.

1. Make it open source and powered with Arduino. Users can customize it and adjust their own throttle smoothing options.
2. Add a few extra buttons to be programmable for custom features - colored led lights, additional options.
3. Add a flashlight to the controller.
4. Make it trigger throttle versus joystick throttle.
5. Use Lipo packs versus AA batteries.
6. Allow controller to be charged by USB.

My 2 pennies.

I like the idea of open source, I am also interested to know what would a person want to customize in an eboard controller...

however i fear 'customization features' would complicate things for people who just want stop/brake features. Also increase the price.

heres my list:
1. accelerator, trigger with index finger
2. brake, trigger with index finger
3. built-in battery - recharge via usb

heres my super wish list:
1. info display: battery meter / volt meter / watt meter / speed
2. power reduction switch - lowers/reduces the throttle output.. so when at 100% only is 50% throttle... (this is for beginners / kids as a safety feature)
3. bright white light pointing forward (CREE LED)
4. red flashing strobe rear-pointing

Certain random features.. I'm ready to put some tail lights Left & Right.... LOL JK!

Turn on headlights, turn on color leds underneath deck, turn on red led lights on back.

That's about it. Unless, people are trying to add in band brakes or disc brakes and be controlled by a servo.

Hi Onloop, thxs for your request, here are some ideas...

1. Your own design that you would like to see made
something as simple as a slot car controller...
2. Concept drawings

3. Feature requests
- "fail safe" trigger (brake activated if acceleration trigger is released), thumb actuated, probably 2 different "spring rates" along the range.
- Cruise control button
- USB port for charging (and potantially programming)
- eco/turbo switch to suit different level of riding
...and maybe a turn left/turn right blinkers trigger activated switches. :lol:
4. Pictures of other controllers on the market you like
5. Some words describing your perfect controller
safe, reliable, bombproof, light, small, simple

Lol with a push button. Your making it look as it's the bomb detonator. Worse then having a gun nowadays. LOL :mrgreen:

Maybe, a different look for the controller. Something a lot more noticeable as a controller and less like a gun/bomb detonator.

torque boards said:
I've actually took apart my board to swap battery packs and some lady noticed all the red lights and said --- That's not a bomb, right? lol

Haha has anyone tried bringing their diy e-board on an airplane yet?

This isn't a submission, just really like the design of the e-go board controller. Doesn't look like a weapon, small and easy to use. And with some added cruise control + turbo button I think it would be perfect for a lot of users.

remote%20control.130.jpg

Consider a slider like some others use. Maybe something with the formfactor of a nunchuck or alike or like a tv remote. Slider replaces the thumb stick of the nunchuck and has a return to center spring. Could be more comfy and safe than a index trigger and less touchy maybe. I feel like the main reason why we use triggers is the rc car controllers we all started with, but those are made for quite a bursty driving style in the first place.

Maybe using a basic nunchuck case could save the trouble of making a new mold/3d printing everything. A more flat remote like tv ones would offer more flat space for features.

Lipo would be nice, replacable one even better, maybe something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...gles_replacement_High_Cap_150mAh_1S_LiPo.html

Features like remote battery life indicator and a (maybe hidden inside the battery cover) safety 50% throtle switch sound great. If two way communication would be possible, board battery life and stuf would be great to have on a remote. But that would require a custom rx and sensors on board, so might be too much.

Switches for lights and maybe servo braking would be a nice addition.

Ultimately the best would be a small and simple remote with just one way communication but a two way communication rx with the right sensors and an android/ios app for readouts and maybe some programming/ chosing of throttle options but that might already fall into the category of gps and lazers :)

Anti-collusion front lazers could be handy on a mtb tho..

Update: BadWolf beat me to it, didn't know the nunchuck with thumb slider already existed, lol.

One think I noticed during longer rides is that a conventional trigger lacks a point I can safely (without changing speed) apply pressure which led me to the point where I would wrap my thumb around the controller to hold on to the tip of my index finger while keeping the same speed for along while to avoid the uncomfortable position of my index finger basically 'floating' all the time. This could be due to bad ergonomics of the controller or too soft springs or whatever, but I think that awkward feeling could be avoided by a thumb slider like the ones in the picture above.

Looking at the thumb slider...Does it have a return spring? And if not, what happens if you fall off/drop the controller? Does it also have a dead mans switch somewhere?

I dont have a submission because lazer beams were disqualified....

hello,
really looking forward to seeing the design...
a little bit of background - I have used the hk-gt2b trigger remote, and the wii Nunchuck powered by Austindavid and torqueboard's great software.
hardware : if I try to think about the perfect remote, it should be a mixture of both.
it should be as light and small as possible (the Nunchuck size is great)
it should have a trigger-like throttle, but with the cruise control function - as I see it, it should be index finger for throttle, thumb for cruise control lock, to release - just hit the breaks - extra throttle will increase the cruise control speed - should help with furp's comment. one more button is a must (I think) - bigger and also controlled by the thumb - should be some sort of horn/buzzer.
another - optional - lights switch.

about the software: I think that open source is the best way to go (arduino?) . the remote as I see it should use the i2c as used in the Nunchuck (must say I'm not sure how easy that would be) and the receiver can easily be any arduino board/wiiceiver style.
cool optional features : Bluetooth connection to the phone +android app - from here the you can log the trip + speed data - if you add external current sensor and send the data to the app- you can predict battery and km left until recharge...
pro's: using arduino should help lowering the cost, as it can be sold separately, there is big community that can contribute to the coding, easy to add personalized features (depends on the coding quality of the original program).
con's: might be a bit of a hassle /scary for people who never used arduino to upgrade the software / program the receiver (can be solved using a program box /app).
I might be able to help with the 3d modeling of the controller - p'm if you need.
my 2 cents, and good luck!

For smaller parts too. I can actually work on injection molding for smaller parts. We just need a mold made. We could completely customize a controller. Might also be able to use Xbee Bluetooth. Although, I'm not too familiar with it personally.

Pair_of_XBee_Series_2s_with_Whip_Antennas.jpg

torqueboards said:
For smaller parts too. I can actually work on injection molding for smaller parts. We just need a mold made. We could completely customize a controller. Might also be able to use Xbee Bluetooth. Although, I'm not too familiar with it personally.

http://s28.postimg.org/p2oqns165/Pair_of_XBee_Series_2s_with_Whip_Antennas.jpg

Does bluetooth have in this application any advantage to ordinary 2.4 GHz?

Such as:
IMG_8412.jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

Here's my thoughts. Hope they are some help.

The super simple version:
Trigger finger for accelerate and brake
Wrist loop
Battery indicator for remote
2.4ghz for plug and play with standard RC gear. This would solve any bluetooth compatibility/protocol headaches.

Material - plastic is fine, although nice to have carbon fibre! It should feel solid in the hand and of course ergonimic and comfortable.

Weight - I'm actually a fan of something with a bit of good weight. Lightweight can feel cheap and flimsy. Some weight adds a premium feel and will help you remember you're holding something that controls your destiny!

Looks - Wii Nunchuck is a great size. I wish I could draw but alas I would never do the design in my head justice!!

Nice extra's
3 Buttons on top
- Brake - pressure sensitive
- Cruise control On
- Spare for lights/horn

Dead mans switch using a skin contact switch could be a cool feature. I don't think it should jam the brakes on, just turn off throttle.

Battery indicator for board. Most people would know what range their board has, so voltage readout or simpler row of LEDs could work.

No Speedo - too distracting!

Not fussed about Arduino based, but hackable hardware is always going to popular on a forum like this. If this added a lot onto the cost, I'd be happy without out.

Auto power off...yes I am one of those people who has left his transmitter on, only to find it out of juice and unable to take my board out!

Rechargeable batteries (AA or AAA) are not a bad thing as you can get them at any shop so if you run out during a ride - no problem! But lithium with charge via USB is also good because they can last a long time.

Rubberised grip, and maybe some thought on sweaty palms and how to combat that. Aerated grip?

Images of nice things

Zeemote is nice, maybe a bit too small
zeemote_1.jpg

Nice rubbery grip on this Nunchuck
Motion-Plus-mini-bluetooth-remote-control-nunchuck-gamepad-suitable-for-nintendo-wii-u-wii.jpg

Nice rubbery grip around a Nunchuck incase of drops and knocks
Wii-Riiflex-dumbbells.jpg

Images of bad things!

Looks like a toy. Looks like a gun. Layout of LEDs is a bit cheesy
curve500-site-batt.jpg

Errrrr. Enough said.
Electric_Skateboard_Gnarboards_Hand_Controller_01.gif

See through electronics. Rarely a good thing ;) And looks well cheap
hand-controller.jpg

Boosted, just seems a bit glum
BoostedTile02.png

Evolve. I almost feel alseep just posting this image
evolve-electric-skateboard-10.jpg

Cheers.
Ben

FCC is what?

Rules against wireless remote control for skateboards? please explain...

Hi,

This is my solution. A custom Arduino board designed for the Wii remote nunchuk using Austin's open source software.

The nunchuk seems an ideal formfactor for the remote.

WiiController2.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

torqueboards,

I replied over on my thread so as not to hijack this one.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=60280

Cheers,

Peter

US Federal Communications Commission. http://www.fcc.gov

I think you would have to get certification from them to make sure your signal does not interfere with other communications device, if you are going to build one from scratch that is.

You can use off-the-shelf parts like Xbee, but they may still be bigger than what you guys design, like bobbyseo's.

Back