Epik Whistler

gestalt said:
with all that room in the triangle and the mounts for the existing battery it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to replace it with something much larger. or you could use something as simple as the falcon ev bag and a off the shelf battery/charger combo.

Unfortunately, the battery connections are proprietary, unlike anything I have ever seen before, and I would not want to jeopardize the excellent 2 year warranty on the battery. I'm sure somebody with more skill than I possess could rig up some sort of external adapter for it but I am not that mechanically inclined. I guess my battery problem can be somewhat rectified by taking the charger with me and hoping for a free outlet somewhere. Meanwhile, I discovered this bike has a "walk mode" where if you press and hold the down button on the controller, the bike will roll forward at 5.2 km per hour. I also found that if I get lazy and apply less torque to the pedals, the pedal assistance annoyingly cuts in and out. This is no problem now that I am used to it but it initially took me by surprise and I thought there was something wrong with the bike.

Hi Wasy,

Glad you're liking your Epik. I sent a pic to Epik of mine after I replaced the knobbies and added some accessories and it's posted on their web site. It's the one with the old motorcycle saddlebags.

Haven't been riding it this winter so I can't update my evaluation, but sure am looking forward to an early spring!

I agree with your opinion of this being a standout Ebike and an incredible value compared to all other mid drive designs. It surprises me that it remains undiscovered by electric riders everywhere.

The battery's external design, although at first I thought was rare, turns out to be quite widely produced in China. There might be more options available, though I haven't seen the Leyden power/Amide formula that Epik use mentioned anywhere other than on the Epik site. Google chinaebikes to see similar batteries.

Wasy
you for sure heard about Optibike.
It would be very interested to compare Epik Whistler with Optibike.
We all know origins of Opti /USA-designed and built, Opti BB drive is patented in USA/
I doubt Whistler is as efficient as Optibike.
Unless I missed something
Any info on origins of Epik /designed where?, manufactured by whom, where?/??

WASYLBRYTAN said:
So .07 cents worth of electricity will enable me to bike anywhere at 35% faster speeds. A good deal in my book.

don't forget to add in the cost of one cycle in expended battery life.
say $250(?) for 500 cycles, life span could be as low as half that depending on conditions.
more like fitty cent to a buk/ride.
then there's cost of all those flat tyres.

miro13car said:
Wasy
We all know origins of Opti /USA-designed and built, Opti BB drive is patented in USA/

I can buy 6 EPIK WHISTLER bikes for the cost of one OPTIBIKE. Any more questions?

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:
So .07 cents worth of electricity will enable me to bike anywhere at 35% faster speeds. A good deal in my book.

say $250(?) for 500 cycles, life span could be as low as half that depending on conditions.

I put my battery through two complete cycles almost every day. With the battery warranty for a full two years, I think I am sufficiently protected. The extra cost of the battery is still less than the cost of drinks to replenish my energy under pure muscle power.

WASYLBRYTAN said:
miro13car said:
Wasy

The Epik is designed in Canada but produced in China. The motor is a patented Canadian invention.

I can buy 6 EPIK WHISTLER bikes for the cost of one OPTIBIKE. Any more questions?

WASYLBRYTAN said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:
miro13car said:
Wasy

The Epik is designed in Canada but produced in China. The motor is a patented Canadian invention. I actually know the daughter of the man who invented it. It is a 350 watt engine which is considerably more powerful than the 250 one in the Tonaro Compy. I know because I also own a Tonaro. Compared to the Epik, the Tonaro is a piece of junk. I am very experienced and knowledgeable about mid drive ebikes. You better believe I like my Whistler. I have put 1400 kilometres on it after owning it 17 days. I cannot ride as much as I would like because it is the middle of winter. None of my friends drive their cars as much as I ride my Whistler. They spend enough on gas, licence and insurance to replace my battery about every 3 weeks. Did I mention that my Whistler goes 40 kilometres per hour?(offroad only, of course)

WASYLBRYTAN said:

I had the stock tires replaced with Schwalbe Marathon E-Bike tires. They are rated for 50 kph and are extremely puncture resistant. They cost me an extra $76. to have them put on instead of the stock tires but they will outlast the stock tires 3 to 1 so they are a bargain. I know how long they last because I now use them on all my bikes.

WASYLBRYTAN said:
WASYLBRYTAN said:

I had the stock tires replaced with Schwalbe Marathon E-Bike tires. They are rated for 50 kph and are extremely puncture resistant. They cost me an extra $76. to have them put on instead of the stock tires but they will outlast the stock tires 3 to 1 so they are a bargain. I know how long they last because I now use them on all my bikes.

'resistant' is the operative word, there's nothing that's puncture proof as far as anyone on E-S has found.
ebikes are faster & heavier so any track record with regular bikes don't make an accurate predicter.
but as they say YMMV so lotsa luck as you'll find out for yourself.

WASYLBRYTAN said:
I put my battery through two complete cycles almost every day. With the battery warranty for a full two years, I think I am sufficiently protected. The extra cost of the battery is still less than the cost of drinks to replenish my energy under pure muscle power.

water is free but regardless you're still out by 3 orders of magnitude from .07 cents.
you must pedal *a lot* since at 7 cents/kWh that i pay (which is amongst the lowest in canada) that's only 10Wh consumed out of a 325Wh pack.
what will you do for a battery after 2 years?
even with a warranty the cost is still there.

there's no need to over sell it or exaggerate the savings.
already enuf of that kind of bs coming from vendors, or r u 1?

Anyone who knows me also knows I am a stickler for accuracy and I never exaggerate. When I ride hard, water is not enough, I need energy such as soda or juice and I also need to eat. This can get very expensive. Sorry if my excitement got the better of me but my statements are accurate.

WASYLBRYTAN said:
Anyone who knows me also knows I am a stickler for accuracy and I never exaggerate

seven one hundreth of a cent per ride for electricity?? reeeely??????
what rate do you pay for electricity, or do you generate your own?
your pack will require *at least* a quarter kWh for a full charge under normal use.

sorry, your math is way off.

I agree with Toorbough
You ment 7cents of electricity not 0.7cents ?
check your post
you put your batery through 2 complete cycles everyday? - not good habit!!
for longevity all chemistry batteries love shallow discharges.
It makes big difference for longevity to discharge your pack everytime until LVCut off versus discharging it to 50%DOD everytime.

it is not about how many you can buy for price of Optibike but
it is all about riding experience in my book.
Opti offers now "economical" version for 6000dollars, does Epik Wistler sell for 1000 dollars??/six of them/.

miro13car said:

yeah i know, but he's a 'stickler for accuracy', (live by the sword...)
and take a closer look, it's even worse 0.07 cents.

miro13car said:

he's one of those consumer types who goes out of his way to deliberately trash it so he can cash in to get a brand new battery a few days before the warranty runs out get another two years for free.
it's the rest of us all end up paying for his 'good deal'.

I go through two full battery cycles each day because my electric bike replaces a car. Is that not what they are supposed to do? The range of the battery just happens to be the length of a one way commute so another full charge is required for the ride home. Batteries are meant to be used. If we need to be afraid of using our e-bikes then the entire e-bike industry is a fraud. The purpose of new battery technology such as LITHIUM IMIDE, is intended precisely to address the issue of number of cycles, that is why they offer such a good warranty. (actually, the manufacturer of this battery offers a 3 year warranty but Epik shortens it to 2, presumably to prevent people like me from abusing it)

miro13car said:
I agree with Toorbough
check your post
It makes big difference for longevity to discharge your pack everytime until LVCut off versus discharging it to 50%DOD everytime.

You are absolutely right. However, some of us with a long commute do not have the luxury of doing shallow discharges. It is precisely for people like us that new, more durable battery chemistries are being constantly developed.

'resistant' is the operative word, there's nothing that's puncture proof as far as anyone on E-S has found.
ebikes are faster & heavier so any track record with regular bikes don't make an accurate predicter.
but as they say YMMV so lotsa luck as you'll find out for yourself.

quote]

I agree with you totally. E-bikes are certainly a lot harder on tires. That is why some companies such as Schwalbe make tires for e-bikes with a more durable rating. I am probably the right person to put these to the test because of the large amount of mileage I put on in a short time. The tires on my last e-bike were already showing some wear at this stage but the present ones do not have a trace of wear.

dubble ohh sevin said:
WOW, I didn't realize there would be so much confusion: 7 cents, $00.07, .07dollars.

:lol:

oopsie, there goes your legendary rep for accuracy down the shitta.
sorry but you're the only one here that's confused. :mrgreen:

Posting Messages Dos and Don'ts

DON'T double post two messages in a row; edit your original message

DON'T abuse the quote button; include only as much as is necessary for context. This includes pictures

dubble ohh sevin said:
WOW, I didn't realize there would be so much confusion: 7 cents, $00.07, .07dollars.

:lol:

oopsie, there goes your legendary rep for accuracy down the shitta.
sorry but you're the only one here that's confused. :mrgreen:

What I find confusing is that anyone would destroy a message in a serious discussion by quibbling about nothing just to spout hot air. Because I make a mistake placing a decimal does not negate what I am trying to say. Anyone reading my post knows that I was talking about 7 cents.

that's because you still miss the point.
you focus entirely on the (almost) neglible cost of electricity while blithely brushing aside the overwhelming (~10X+ in comparison) expense in spent battery that's the single biggest hit to the wallet.
this is SOP of slimey vendors who deliberately lie by omission of that hit.
with much flailing of limbs & sleight of hand going on about how little electricity is used presenting a distorted cost picture.

you wanna concentrate on the minutae all the while claiming how accurate you are then fine.
i simply followed your lead to set right the minutae first.

Point well taken now that I know what you are talking about. The interesting thing about this battery technology is that it supposedly allows more cycles and more longevity which in turn reduces costs. But at the rate that I put on mileage, the battery may actually outlast the bike. I am averaging 81 kilometres per day x 365= 29,565 x2= 59,130 kilometres or 36,956 miles. I paid a total of $1737.12 after taxes and the dealer told me he would charge me $70. for an overhaul and total lube and tuneup every 10,000 kilometres which would be $470.40 after taxes. Total cost would be $2207.52. Add $224. for 2 new sets of tires and the total cost for two years and 36,000 miles or 59,000 kilometres would be $2431.52. That works out to 6.75 cents per mile or 4.12 cents per kilometre. If the bike and battery last beyond two years the costs will be even less. Almost forgot; 2 charges per day would add $102.20 in electricity costs. This would add .28 cents per mile or .17 cents per kilometre for a grand total of 7.03 cents per mile or 4.29 cents per kilometre. This would involve 1460 battery charges which is doable because this battery is still supposed to retain 80% capacity after 1000 cycles. That is 1000 cycles to complete depletion by the way.

miro13car said:
Wasy

Hey miro,

I'd be surprised if the Optibike was any more 'efficient' than the Epik.

I, also met the owners lovely daughter, Melody, and was told about her father being the designer of the bike.

I am so impressed with my Whistler I considered going into the business of selling them. Much of the appeal to me is that it is a Canadian company, however like most manufactured items these days, it is built in China.

gestalt said:
with all that room in the triangle and the mounts for the existing battery it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to replace it with something much larger. or you could use something as simple as the falcon ev bag and a off the shelf battery/charger combo.

Falcon EV bags are butt ugly IMO. Want more range? Put a second battery in your panniers.

Back