Essential 18650 tool list for building. Please chime in

RiverRat

1 W
Hi just got a batch of samsung 25rs and plan to build a battery pack or two. Been stalling whist trying to work work out what tools i will need so ......

The question is what tools and parts does one need to cover most bases in getting started. Im would be useful to establish a reference list for us noobs wanting to get building.

Cheers in advance

River

As tools are named in this thread I will list them here for quick reference.

Please do NOT solder on an 18650.

The heat required for a strong solder joint will damage the cell (to an unknown and varying degree). If you're willing to take that risk, it is on you.

The right way to do it would be to use a tab welder. Either buy, rent, or make, one (instructions for several different approaches are available on this site).

If you plan to solder your own packs of 18650's, you should buy them tab welded as pairs.
Then you can make whatever combo you like, or rearrange it, easily by soldering on the tabs only midway between the cells.
..as long as you stick to even number parallel groups..2p, 4p, 6p, etc

Thanks all had a second look at spot welders and ended up with the dn-10 portable

http://www.cart100.com/Product/15904562609/

And displayed in the samsung 25r thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57291&start=225

Its more than what i wanted to pay but as mentioned it should weld thicker tabs and allot cheaper than one i was quoted for last month.

What i have now is

200 x 25r samsung 1865(bare)
soldering iron
spot welder
voltmeter
A pub room for a shed

Guess i gotta go read about chargers now with some kinda dishcharge logging hahaha my brain hurts.

Hillhater said:
If you plan to solder your own packs of 18650's, you should buy them tab welded as pairs.
Then you can make whatever combo you like, or rearrange it, easily by soldering on the tabs only midway between the cells.
..as long as you stick to even number parallel groups..2p, 4p, 6p, etc

I actually prefer odd numbers, because I find the resulting trapezoid shape more flexible in achieving different pack shapes, and when connected in straight lines the overlap gives the string much more mechanical strength.

Back