ExtraEnergy.org 2009 Pedelec Test Reports

Lock

100 MW
http://www.extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&category=&subcateg=&id=2902
All 28 test reports of the ExtraEnergy 2009 Tests are now available for download in English.
In web resolution (PDF 13.9MB)http://www.extraenergy.org/download_form.php?source=ee&lang=de&file=18
In print resolution (PDF 28.4MB)http://www.extraenergy.org/download_form.php?source=ee&lang=de&file=19
You will receive the download link after entering your e-mail address.

(Yer sent an email w/the link to download...)

Bikes reviewed:
as viva · As-b005
ave · Tour
Biketec · Flyer l9 premium
diamant · Zouma Elite E
gepida · Reptila 1000
heinzmann · estelle Comfort
helkama · e2300a
helkama · e2800
Kalkhoff · Agattu Pedelec F
kettler · Layana Hybritec
riese und müller · Jetstream hybrid
sparta · Ion GLS
schmidt · Sylt
vital bike · City Pedelec
Biketec · Flyer c8 premium
Flying-cranes · Recovery Plus
Giant · Twist Comfort CS
helkama · te2800
Kalkhoff · Agattu XXL Pedelec C
koga-miyata · Tesla Tour
Rabeneick · Vitality Elite 8-Gang
bionx · pl250 ht
Leviatec · e02
matra · Sports i-step racer
Biketec · Flyer S-Serie Street
dolphin · express
raleigh · Dover 40
riese und müller · Delite hybride 500 HS

tks
lOCK

These guys don't pull any punches... Everything from:
IN A NUTSHELL Stay away from this product. Rather save a little longer, because not much more is needed for a really good pedelec.

and
IN A NUTSHELL Dangerous, cheap merchandise. Clearly, a candidate for a call-back action by the consumer protection authorities.

to about the Bionx:
IN A NUTSHELL Extremely efficient, a pleasure to ride and very simple to install – the answer to electrification of your dream bike.

and also:
IN A NUTSHELL From a technical point of view, everything one needs is there. From a price-performance point of view, the Agattu XXL was the clear winner of the test.

They provide absolute measures and also rate each area on sliding scales...
Under RIDING PERFORMANCE:
Range
Tour (in km)
∅ - km/h with motor
Tour (in km/h)

Assistance factor
Tour
Mountain section

Riding enjoyment
General

Range
Mountain (in km)

Under TECHNOLOGY:
Weight
Vehicle (in kg)
Weight
Battery (in kg)

Motor noise

Ease of use

Portability
Up / down stairs

Riding
Without motor

Under PRICES:
Complete vehicle
(in €)
Replacement battery
(in €)

Then PROS: and CONS:

Then they also picture and detail COMPONENTS/ACCESSORIES

And finally an overall "Test Seal" seal-of-approval thingee that ranges from none to good and very good...

They also categorize their pedelecs and rate each bike as to how well each fits in each category:
City / Comfort pedelec
Comfortable city and suburban transport for the daily commute to work or school, for shopping and going out.

Foldable pedelec
Small and light-weight. Ideal for hybrid commuters, ie. people who use different modes of transport, such as the bus, car, train or metro, to reach their destinations.

Courier pedelec
For everyday commuters and courier services which deliver in a radius of 20 km.

Family pedelec
Safe, everyday transport for mothers with children in cities and suburban areas. Ideal for low-budget family holidays.

Transport pedelec
Multi-functional vehicle for carrying loads and for public transport.

Reha pedelec
A mode of transport and an exercise tool for handicapped people.

Touring pedelec
For long distance rides at good cruising speeds. A vehicle for travelling, tourism and leisure time.

Wellness pedelec
In line with the new trend: leisure time, fitness and fun all in one.

Sport pedelec
The ultimate sport and image vehicle for young cyclists.

AND, under "EVALUATION OF ERGONOMIC TEST" they rate each bike for:
Riding enjoyment of bike
Design and optics
Motor noise
Riding experience with motor
Riding experience without motor
Ergonomic adaptability
Ease of control panel use
Stability when parked
Removing battery
Clear classification of charger
Grip possibilities on frame
Ease of lifting bicycle
Ease of carrying up/down stairs
Lifting over trunk sill
Bike carrier coupling height
Bike carrier level with ground

I find myself wondering what aspects of ebike design they may have overlooked, but they have been doing these tests for some years now and they seem pretty complete!

Tks
Lock

Here's the winning bike BTW:

Kalkhoff · Agattu XXL Pedelec C
"IN A NUTSHELL From a technical point of view, everything one needs is there. From a price-performance point of view, the Agattu XXL was the clear winner of the test.
Agattu_XXL_Pedelec_C.jpg

Many of these EU pedelec bikes look really, really nice...

dolphin express:
dolphin-express_2009.jpg

...and I find myself wondering how easy it'd be to swap out the pedelec controllers and goose the watts up a bit...
tks
Lock

HaHa!... I am so out to lunch... turns out that dolphin express is a dumbed down Currie iZip:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/highway1/la-hy-throttle19dec19,1,6479221.story

Still, the ExtraEnergy review was pretty cool:
"IN A NUTSHELL Convincing performance as far as range and assistance factor is concerned – a trend-setting product!
Admittedly, with a weight of 30.2 kg the Dolphin Express was one of the heaviest bikes among the faster models in the test. But, it also recorded the longest range on the second highest assistance level on the tour route. It was really sensational to ride at an average speed of 31.5 km/h for 60 km without having to recharge. That makes the Dolphin Express a candidate for commuters who ride 30 to 40 km daily to and from work. On the mountain route the Dolphin showed its origin, namely the Swiss mountains. With a single charge and a sensational assistance factor of 1.3 on the mountain, it climbed about 2,300 meter!"

tks
loCKk

Hehe... Ya, guessed that Miles... I was just being mean about pedelec... 250W I gather, versus the iZip version at 750W...
tks
lock

Back