Ezip mod questions

GTR2EBIKE

10 W
I am getting my first ebike in the next couple of days and as of now it looks like it will be an ezip. I am looking to do a 7 miles commute on pavement as fast as possible with none or little pedalling. I am confused with all the new/old e-zip comments about controllers and throttle. They currently have a special if you buy an ezip, it comes with two batteries now here is where my questions start.
1. Can this bike handle running these two batteries in series without hurting anything?
2. Would it be better to buy the bike from somewhere else that is a bit cheaper not get the second battery and buy a LIFEpo4 battery from pingbattery.com (If so can I run one of the 36v batteries or just the 24v?)
3. Is their a different route you would take if doing this small project?
4. How much speed do you think I will get from these mods?
Thanks a lot I hope I can get a lot of responses I'm in need of info and can't find it.

2 batteries in series would very likely fry the original controller. you could run them in parrallel for longer range but no extra speed. Some people have had success with 36 volts, some have met disaster.

If you can get it cheaper and get a Ping battery, that would be a much better deal. I would go for 36 volts.

Others have posted that newer eZip controllers will not accept anything over 24 volts - that they would just refuse to operate at higher voltages. Wiring the two batteries in parallel would be kinder to them (and keep them from sagging as quickly) than using them one after the other (but changing the wiring would void the warranty). Either way, 24 volts could be enough for slower-speed (maybe 15mph?) commuting on nearly-level ground.

My older eZip really came alive at 36 volts - I had borrowed the SLA pack from one of our other ebikes and tried it. Expect I'll just get a third SLA and put it in series with the eZip's original pack. If you're gonna mod the bike anyway, another 12v 10ah SLA and a different controller might be the cheapest way to get more speed. My eZip is in the mid-20s now, and on the short rides I've taken so far the motor gets warm but not alarmingly hot.

Drunkskunk said:
2 batteries in series would very likely fry the original controller. you could run them in parrallel for longer range but no extra speed. Some people have had success with 36 volts, some have met disaster.

If you can get it cheaper and get a Ping battery, that would be a much better deal. I would go for 36 volts.
do you have a link to a good upgraded controller to buy? So you think 36volt ping with a controller and i'm set. which ah?

davespicer said:
Others have posted that newer eZip controllers will not accept anything over 24 volts - that they would just refuse to operate at higher voltages. Wiring the two
batteries in parallel would be kinder to them (and keep them from sagging as quickly) than using them one after the other (but changing the wiring would void the warranty). Either way, 24 volts could be enough for slower-speed (maybe 15mph?) commuting on nearly-level ground.

My older eZip really came alive at 36 volts - I had borrowed the SLA pack from one of our other ebikes and tried it. Expect I'll just get a third SLA and put it in series with the eZip's original pack. If you're gonna mod the bike anyway, another 12v 10ah SLA and a different controller might be the cheapest way to get more speed. My eZip is in the mid-20s now, and on the short rides I've taken so far the motor gets warm but not alarmingly hot.
you think just get a controller and the two stock batteries in series will be good to go? or am i missing something

The motor will hold fine at 36 volts with a controller?
What is a good controller?

GTR2EBIKE said:
you think just get a controller and the two stock batteries in series will be good to go? or am i missing something?
The two stock batteries in series would give you 48 volts, which would probably make the motor do impressive things for a short time before it overheated. Some folks have modified their motors by cutting holes for air cooling, but that kind of modifying is more than I wanted to attempt. I'd never try 48 volts on mine.

GTR2EBIKE said:

My motor is okay with 36 volts so far, BUT:
- the longest I've ridden at one time is a couple of miles,
- there were not any long hills,
- I was pedaling to help the motor out, and
- the weather here is cold.

These four conditions together meant that the motor only got a little warm. As I put more miles on my bike at 36 volts I'll get a better idea of how hot the motor gets under different conditions, and I'll post my results on this message board. But each person who modifies their ebike is conducting an experiment and is responsible for their own results, even if those results include ruined equipment.

What I've done with each of our ebikes is to ride them for a while in their original state. Perhaps you'd want to do this with your new bike, using it just the way it came, to see how it performs and how well it meets your needs.

(I haven't switched controllers [yet...] so I can't suggest any.)

davespicer said:
GTR2EBIKE said:
you think just get a controller and the two stock batteries in series will be good to go? or am i missing something?
The two stock batteries in series would give you 48 volts, which would probably make the motor do impressive things for a short time before it overheated. Some folks have modified their motors by cutting holes for air cooling, but that kind of modifying is more than I wanted to attempt. I'd never try 48 volts on mine.

GTR2EBIKE said:

My motor is okay with 36 volts so far, BUT:
- the longest I've ridden at one time is a couple of miles,
- there were not any long hills,
- I was pedaling to help the motor out, and
- the weather here is cold.

These four conditions together meant that the motor only got a little warm. As I put more miles on my bike at 36 volts I'll get a better idea of how hot the motor gets under different conditions, and I'll post my results on this message board. But each person who modifies their ebike is conducting an experiment and is responsible for their own results, even if those results include ruined equipment.

What I've done with each of our ebikes is to ride them for a while in their original state. Perhaps you'd want to do this with your new bike, using it just the way it came, to see how it performs and how well it meets your needs.

(I haven't switched controllers [yet...] so I can't suggest any.)
So you have the newer style ezip or the old? Do you have a controller?
Where can I get a 12V battery to boost to 36v instead of 48v?
It is cold here too for now and the most i'll be riding is 7 miles. But 7 miles in stock form will freeze my A** off.

I think im going the route of 36v and a controller? anyone have a suggestion on a controller? and a 12V battery? if I cant find a good 12v then ill buy a lifepo4 36v

GTR2EBIKE said:
So you have the newer style ezip or the old? Do you have a controller?
Where can I get a 12V battery to boost to 36v instead of 48v?
It is cold here too for now and the most i'll be riding is 7 miles. But 7 miles in stock form will freeze my A** off.

I think im going the route of 36v and a controller? anyone have a suggestion on a controller? and a 12V battery? if I cant find a good 12v then ill buy a lifepo4 36v
I have an older eZip which I bought in fall 2007. It has the controller it came with, which accepts 36 volts.

Since the original battery pack battery pack is two sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries in series, I would get a third SLA battery of the same capacity as the others, which are 10 amp-hours (AH). These batteries are widely available.

From what others have said, 7 miles is about all the range one can expect from the standard eZip batteries in mild temperatures - their capacity lessens in colder temperatures, so the bike would need to be kept in a warm place at both ends of the trip, and recharged as soon as possible. I take the charger with me when I use one of the other ebikes for trips longer than a couple of miles.

The difference in wind chill between 15 and 20 mph is only a few degrees F, so going faster shouldn't make you much colder. Helping the motor by pedaling will certainly help you stay warmer, whatever speed you're going :)

Well if going faster means ill be colder then I want to be colder for less time haha. So no recommendations on a controller I could get thats simple to wire? Is their a way to track down or tell the difference from a old model vs a newer one. I still see some trials that walmart sold on amazon maybe they are left overs

GTR2EBIKE said:
Is their a way to track down or tell the difference from a old model vs a newer one. I still see some trials that walmart sold on amazon maybe they are left overs
Mine has the controller in an upright compartment just behind the pedals. On newer models, the controller is in the center part of the battery rack. I don't know whether that change was made at the same time the controllers stopped accepting 36 volts, though...

GTR2EBIKE said:
Well if going faster means ill be colder then I want to be colder for less time haha. So no recommendations on a controller I could get thats simple to wire? Is their a way to track down or tell the difference from a old model vs a newer one. I still see some trials that walmart sold on amazon maybe they are left overs

I am guessing that it is unlikely for you to find a "NEW" "OLD" Ezip anywhere but who knows? All the ones I have seen lately have been 2009 models aand a while back I saw some 2008s but even some of them may have the "new" controller in them. So I wouldn't count on finding one with the old controller. As for the extra stock battery unless you can get that bike for the same price that you can buy it anywhere else pass it by. A 7 mile run at full speed (15 or 16MPH) will kill one pack. So if you are going 7 miles each way and can not charge in the middle you will kill those SLA packs within a season (if your lucky). Save the money a buy a lifepo4 pack 24v 20ah and change your freewheel to a 16t (do a search for how it was done). I think the guy said he got 20MPH at 24v. With a good 24v 20ah lifepo4 pack you can do 14 miles at full speed with no problem. And you still have the SLA as a backup. Trust me this is your easiest, cheapest and no brainer route to take.

OMG!! E-zips..... you just rip the motor off and throw the rest in the garbage.
The controllers can no longer do 48 volts? What chinese genius figured this out?
You can't mod crap! Get a proper hub motor and throw the E-zip in the trash where it belongs.
You can do old school and use a contactor relay to give direct voltage to the motor; this overides the controller and it runs at full speed.
You could keep the original 24 volt setup and use the peddalec switch as your turbo button for 48 volt full speed operation.
You don't really need a controller for a dc motor. You could do speed control by running batteries in series ex.. 12, 24, 36, 48 volts.

Affliction said:
The controllers can no longer do 48 volts? What chinese genius figured this out?
You can't mod crap! Get a proper hub motor and throw the E-zip in the trash where it belongs.
You can do old school and use a contactor relay to give direct voltage to the motor; this overides the controller and it runs at full speed.
You could keep the original 24 volt setup and use the peddalec switch as your turbo button for 48 volt full speed operation.
You don't really need a controller for a dc motor. You could do speed control by running batteries in series ex.. 12, 24, 36, 48 volts.

Your entitled to your opinion but I have to disagree with you. The Ezip is what it is a low cost ebike entry level ebike and as long as you understand that they fair very well. For sure they are not built with expensive part but nor are any bikes that cost only a few hundred bucks. The frame is very strong and well made (but very heavy) and will hold it's own against any frame. I will say some of the sprockets and bearing are crap but most people will never have a problem with them. There are a hell of a lot of people right here on this forum that will tell they have run their Ezips for thousands of mikes with little or no problem.

As for the controller; no it will not allow over voltage anymore. I have to guess they did this is self defense against people raising the voltage to gain additional illegal speed. Remember the legal speed in most states is only 20 MPH and the Ezip is geared at 16 to 17 MPH out of the box. People that want to increase the speed (I'm one of them) have simply added a second motor and/or changed the 20t freewheel to a 16t freewheel. or changed out the controller and throttle and installed a 36v battery.

Affliction said:

Your entitled to your opinion but I have to disagree with you. The Ezip is what it is a low cost ebike entry level ebike and as long as you understand that they fair very well. For sure they are not built with expensive part but nor are any bikes that cost only a few hundred bucks. The frame is very strong and well made (but very heavy) and will hold it's own against any frame. I will say some of the sprockets and bearing are crap but most people will never have a problem with them. There are a hell of a lot of people right here on this forum that will tell they have run their Ezips for thousands of mikes with little or no problem.

As for the controller; no it will not allow over voltage anymore. I have to guess they did this is self defense against people raising the voltage to gain additional illegal speed. Remember the legal speed in most states is only 20 MPH and the Ezip is geared at 16 to 17 MPH out of the box. People that want to increase the speed (I'm one of them) have simply added a second motor and/or changed the 20t freewheel to a 16t freewheel. or changed out the controller and throttle and installed a 36v battery.

Affliction said:

What is the freewheel mod I am yet to hear of this. Please enlighten me

dumbass said:
What happens when you overvolt past 36v? Does it simply not turn on? I'm sure they are using the same mosfets as before.
I recently modded one with the dual battery rack to run series/parallel by rewireing the selector switch.
48 volts is quite zesty! I've noticed that if the charge voltage is too high the controller shuts down and you have to reset the power switch.
I smell a controller mod! :mrgreen:
Don't get me wrong, I do think E-zips are crap compared to hub motors but there are many possibilities having a chain drive system.
I have a friend who reversed the motor rotation and mounted it on the right side of the bike through an internal 8 speed shimano hub.
Shifting gears with this thing at 48 volts is quite enjoyable! You have to let off each shift when you click the rapidfire or it doesn't change gear with the load on. This thing does wheelies in 1st gear and does almost 50kph in top gear.

What is the freewheel mod I am yet to hear of this. Please enlighten me[/quote]

OPPs!!! Sorry I belong to several bike and ebike forums and sometimes I get a little confused where I see and read things. The freewheel mod was posted on another forum that's why you didn't see it if this is the only forum you read. Here's a link to the forum posting I was refering to. Please note the poster indicates he sustains a constant 20 MPH with stock Ezip 24v batteries. However, I would think it must shorten the range and remember when you gear a motor for faster speed you lose torque for climbing. But for most people this is not an issue. This other forum has a lot of great info for the EZip and Izip bikes. This poster gives a lot of great detail on the modification and I think he says where to get the tools and new freewheel. But if not let me know I think I have the info on this freewheel and tool somewhere (it is a special left handed freewheel that you need). Good Luck

http://www.ecoforumz.com/electric-bicycle-scooter/80982-20mph-ezip-24-volt-oem-pack.html

Just found a cheap brand new 08 so I bought it. Where can I get the right 12 volt battery for the mod?

Back