FalconEV 19" triangle bag.

Someone sent me a PM asking about the bag but I thought it would make sense to put my comments on the public forum.

I've had the bag for a few weeks now and it's been great. I am happy with the way it fits in the triangle yet doesn't get in the way. My 48v15ah ping just fits... barely. The velcro straps that keep it in place seem to be very durable and should last a long time. There are a total of 9 straps to hold it securely. I went straight from a front-hub motor and battery on the rear-rack to a rear-hub motor and traingle mounted battery. The bike seems to handle well. I am noticing that I can lean a little more in turns.

I'm a little concerned about the strain of the straps on my brake/shifting cables, which run along the top of my top tube. The rear deraileur cable also runs down the seat-tube. The weight of the battery in the bag puts pressure on the cables, but I have not noticed any issues in practice, but I may replace the cables a little more often than normal if this causes them to stretch out over time.

My only real complaint is the amount of time it takes to attach and detach the bag from the triangle. I used to have my battery in a different bag and it took about 10 seconds to place it on the rear rack and affix the necessary bungees. Now, it takes over a minute to secure or un-velcro all of the straps. I live in a high-rise and need to remove my battery daily to take it upstairs to charge. I also remove it when I am out and need to leave the bike locked outside for more than a minute. For someone who is able to keep the battery on their bike, this is not an issue.

This extra time to mount and dismount actually makes the battery slightly more theft-resistant, because it would give you more time to catch a theif in the act, if they don't just give up after one or two straps. I would still like to find a way to secure the bag to the bike in cases where I want to leave it locked outside for more than a few minutes. The zipper pulls have holes for a small lock to prevent people from easily opening the bag.

I covered the FalconEV logo with some black duct tape. Crude, yes, but I don't need the attention that the green embriodered logo would attract.

A simple carrying handle would have been a nice addition, but I've been able to get by holding a few of the velcro straps or just holding the whole bag. The mesh side-pockets came in handy last week when I had to have easy access to a map while following the Chicago Marathon. The pockets may also be a convenient place to slide in some protective material instead of putting it in the bag.

Overall, for a little under $50, this is a great bag and I highly recommend it.

305136_10150928494750370_653260369_21801936_2073883891_n.jpgFalconEV frame bag on a 17.5" hard tail frame, fits perfectly. Inside it in the picture are 4 sections of 100mm x 50mm PVC ducting. Each piece of pipe holds 2 x 6s 5000mah Turnigy packs perfectly. You can fit 12 packs in total in the frame bag with the bag remaining 100mm wide. I plan to glue the pipe sections together to make a rigid frame inside the bag so the cells can't move around, there will be ample room in the middle of the parallell harness and a big fat fuse. 1.3kwh isn't bad for mounting in a small mountain bike frame. I'm pretty confident they are puncture proof as well in these pipe sections.

I just got my falcon ev bag and it fits great on the small frame i have. The only problem i can see is ther are openings on the side and top if i remember correctly and that can be a bad thing. I ride in the rain on my current rig and no problem. I might just have to water seal that opening. And all the other openings.

My bag has recently started ripping at the seams. Make sure you either let the bag rest on the bottom, or have very even tension on all 4 of the top straps. Mine started ripping because one of my straps on the top was tighter than the rest, so much that this one strap was effectively handling the weight of the whole pack. I'll be sewing it up and reinforcing it, but it will always be resting on the bottom. Keep it loose.

V_Mark said:
My bag has recently started ripping at the seams. Make sure you either let the bag rest on the bottom, or have very even tension on all 4 of the top straps. Mine started ripping because one of my straps on the top was tighter than the rest, so much that this one strap was effectively handling the weight of the whole pack. I'll be sewing it up and reinforcing it, but it will always be resting on the bottom. Keep it loose.

Someone else mentioned this either on the endless sphere facebook or elsewhere.
I concur.. definitely let the top straps be a bit loose so that they aren't handling all the weight. the padding at the bottom of the bag is very tough and will not beat up on the batteries when you hit bumps etc.

( but i would still add some padding too. see my pack below )

falconev20ah.jpg

My only problem with resting it all the way at the bottom is that when I do this, two of the top straps don't reach enough for the velcro to fasten. The 22" frame with large triangle is to blame.

Confirmed the FalconEV triangle bag can happily hold 12 packs of 6s for a total of 1.3Kwh. 100mm wide so it doesn't stretch the stitching, going to use expanding foam to add a little padding around the 100mmx50mm PVC sections to add a bit of shock protection, all the wires point in towards the centre of the bag where there is that space for the harness. The PVC section will be removable so you can take the whole contents out as a single block to charge indoors, saves undoing all that velcro every dam time.

photo (1).JPG

nice, please do post a pic of how you get all 12 of those in the bag, hehe..

The picture is right there on my post.

I mean closed, fully wired up etc. once you're done.
There is a difference.

The octopus of lipo wiring does require some extra considerations. that's why i only run 8 in mine.

challenge-accepted.png

I was able to get 4x10s and 4x4s. There is still space left, but not much. Total is 51.8V18Ah. So about 1KW. If i went with 5AH sticks to begin with, the i would have 51.8V20Ah. All in all, i have 15Ah of usable ah for my 18Ah. I will post picture a bit later. I was surprised that the bag fit on my small frame gt hybrid bike.

^--thanks for the heads up.
Their rectangle bags are interesting, a little spendy in comparison but could work good for some FS bikes.
Hi-power cycles wants $99 for essentially the same thing.

UPDATE: Ahaha!!! look at the location and size of the straps on the hi-power cycles bag versus the revelate. I do believe they ARE the same thing.

http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?productId=95&categoryId=7

BTW, i did order another falconEV bag today after giving up on futzing around with my other bike's battery mounting solution. The price went up by $10 i think.

Still worth it, IMHO.

is the falcon EV bag water resistance/proof? I don't want to test mine out with all the battery in it.

Anyone who recently got one. Can you test it before loading it up with battery?

Thanks

I just ordered one bag. I mailed Andy, and within 10 minutes I received a reply. Five minutes later I had transferred the money ($45 for the bag, $13 for shipping to Switzerland), and I will be waiting to see how long USPS wants to keep it....

I plan to have 4x 10S 4.5Ah lipos in there, and if possible 6. Let's see.

I actually have 5 10s4.5ah nanotech and 5 4s4.5ah. Moreover, I tried to fit 6 of each, but 1 4s lipo did not fit.

So I am confident you can get 6 in there.

mvly said:
I actually have 5 10s4.5ah nanotech and 5 4s4.5ah. Moreover, I tried to fit 6 of each, but 1 4s lipo did not fit.

So I am confident you can get 6 in there.

Yeah, well, I actually want to cover the inside of the bag with some aluminum plates to protect the lipos. Also, I will be fixating the bag permanently to the bike with these alu plates, to prevent rupture of the bands that some have reported here. As long as I can remove the lipo pack from the bag without too much hassle, I am happy.

Ordered me one of these bags today - cant wait to get the weight centered and off my rear wheel.

Also not sure if this is new , but I was able to pay via paypal which made it nice.

Got my bag today and did a short 5 mile ride. damn the center of gravity this thing provides is amazing.

This is the best 50$ I have spent. All the material is extremely well made. Zippers Velcro outer material.

From what I have seen on ES so far this is the best triangle bag I have seen.

10/10

pics?

btw, its 2012 over here. Happy New Year!!

Happy New Years. Yea I will get some pics of my bike as well as the bag opened up with my batteries.

Honestly this thing is so good I will probably grab a couple more just to have them on hand.

I plan on doing a ride tomorrow so I will snap those pics.

damn HJNS your fusion is sharp - nice bike.

Back