First build 2 speed e-bike

e-motion

1 mW
Hello,
I am new to posting here but have been reading here for quite a while. This forum is full of useful information and has inspired me to build my first E-bike. I thought I would post some pictures to see what you think of it. I have read post of guys building two speed gear boxes so I decided to build one of my own. My bike is a 24 volt system and is good for about 20 mph. Low range It will go about 11 mph which is good for pulling hills or a trailer. I can shift on the fly between gears or put it in neutral when coasting. The motor is a Leeson 24 volt .25 hp. connected to a 100 amp 48 volt Kelly controller. I use two 12 volt 18 Ah. AGM batteries. It is good for about ten miles depending on how much I pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,103
  • IMG_2456.JPG
    IMG_2456.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,102
  • IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,102
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,102
  • IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,102
Hello,
Very nice job. The shift actuator looks very high tech.
Any photos of the transmision build?

No sorry, I wish I documented this build, now that its done it would be nice to have a record of what it took to get here. I will be sure to take more pictures of the next build!

Miles,

Here are some screen shots of the model. As you can see from the model the motor drives the miter gears which drives the pinion and the spur gear. This is the high gear and it is a 3.2:1 ratio. I lock the output shaft to the spur gear to select high range by sliding the selector gear over against the spur gear. The spur gear floats on the output shaft on roller bearings. To select low range, the selector gear is slid over to engage the low range idler gear. This transfers power from the spur gear to both the idler gears and then to the selector gear which is keyed to the output shaft giving me 5.66: 1

Attachments

• Gears Only.jpg
    Gears Only.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 2,003
The selector is shown in the neutral position?

(I assume it is the element I colored red.)

Did you actually build the gearbox yourself? If so, where did you source the parts like pinion gears etc.?

Yes I did build the gear box my self. A good source for just about anything is McMaster Carr. Check out their web site, if you need it they will probably have it, and have it delivered the next day. I sourced most of my parts from them.

There are many things I like about your bike! Very well done. You may not know it yet, but there has been a lot of interest in 2-speed transmissions recently (very useful for E-motorcycles). Could you post more details about the trans?

yes, I will be happy to answer any questions you have about it. I will look to see if I have any pictures of it disassembled so you can see the workings.

Back