First Build: cheapy frame + GM arcane pastries of some sort

Walmart steel frame hardtail bikes are great for ebikes. You end up using mostly just the frame anyway.

I didn't even think of Craigslist, theres a mess of bikes on there. I'll keep an eye out for an early 90's gem haha.
Something in crappy steel or chromoly so I can weld some nice pinch dropouts and battery mounting brackets.
I cant weld aluminum :(

so for now instead of a safer bike I got some safety gear, new tires,tubes,dot helmet and some lights.
the ebike money hemorrhage continues haha! Screw it this is why I work. to buy fun stuff hooray.
What started as a practical thing to get me to work n back has now spiraled out of control in my brain.
hell. building and tweaking on a project is half the fun.

No more volts/amps! bad brain bad!
well maybe just a few...I can quit any time.

+1
Screw it this is why I work. to buy fun stuff hooray.
What started as a practical thing to get me to work n back has now spiraled out of control in my brain.

I guess you got the ebike bug! Once you've got it the world around you changes and you never look at another bike the same.

stinkler said:
I didn't even think of Craigslist, theres a mess of bikes on there. I'll keep an eye out for an early 90's gem haha.
Something in crappy steel or chromoly so I can weld some nice pinch dropouts and battery mounting brackets.
I cant weld aluminum :(

so for now instead of a safer bike I got some safety gear, new tires,tubes,dot helmet and some lights.
the ebike money hemorrhage continues haha! Screw it this is why I work. to buy fun stuff hooray.

No more volts/amps! bad brain bad!
well maybe just a few...I can quit any time.

You can get some pretty fantastic rigid and hard-tail frames for cheap, most of the public has been convinced that aluminum = good, steel = bad, and entry level bikes made by Specialized, Trek, Giant and others usually come with decent components on a steel frame, and these can still be bought new, so there is a healthy recently used market of late model stuff too.

On top of that, there is some really amazing stuff made by companies like Surly in Steel, one day when I can afford it, I'd love to own one of these! :twisted:

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll

bk_troll.jpg

Oh god, another pic of a guy with naked lipo taped to the bike. Steal a political or real estate sign, and use the coroplast sheet to tape a box together to protect it when you hit a bump and the tape gives way. Use good thick packing tape to hold the box together.

Crank down the tension a bit more on the rear shock, that may help. The cheap front forks there isn't much you can do about. Craigslist or Ebay again perhaps for an upgrade.

Frame sway, well, you got what you paid for. Keep on hunting, once you have about $400 to spend you might get lucky and find an old specialized, giant, or whatever with a nice stiff FS frame. And a better front shock most likely.

Thats the bike right there! That surly troll is hot I tells ya!
Look at those mounting holes! fantastic!
hmm 430$ for a frame set. Thats kinda sorta almost affordable if i squint real hard and think happy thoughts

dogman said:
Oh god, another pic of a guy with naked lipo taped to the bike. Steal a political or real estate sign, and use the coroplast sheet to tape a box together to protect it when you hit a bump and the tape gives way. Use good thick packing tape to hold the box together.

Crank down the tension a bit more on the rear shock, that may help. The cheap front forks there isn't much you can do about. Craigslist or Ebay again perhaps for an upgrade.

Frame sway, well, you got what you paid for. Keep on hunting, once you have about $400 to spend you might get lucky and find an old specialized, giant, or whatever with a nice stiff FS frame. And a better front shock most likely.

haha I know I know =P those were dark impatient times. It was the "I want to ride it now now now" sickness.
I took the bike apart and adjusted everything and now its great.
the front disc brake actually works now.
I took a spacer "piston" out of the fake rear shock to net me another few inches of ground clearance.
IMG_20120131_212049.jpg

Now I'm not pogo'ing on my crank around corners.
The new street tires took the crazy high speed tracking problem away.
And my lipos are armored up :lol:
IMG_20120201_153333.jpg

I don't like mounting to the waterbottle nut inserts but it seems sturdy enough.
they are held in with some heavy duty straps. nice n snug.
IMG_20120201_154023.jpg

When i get a steel frame I will weld up some proper mounts and make a nice box for everything.
the zipties and tape will be fazed out eventually.

Ahhh, better. It's so easy to take those short cuts, "temporarily" and end up riding that way awhile.

If Dork was a color, I would be that color power ranger.
IMG_20120203_194047.jpg

Got some thor impact rig armor too haha I'm going to be super dork.
:lol:

I cant be sporting a full face helmet and moto armor with a top speed of 30.
Its just not right. Its like putting a full roll cage in a stock VW beetle.

I got my kenda 838's on and I'm down to 16 to 17 amps cruising.
went from 1.1 1.2 AH one way to .8 - .9 amp hours.
Could just be traffic lights going my way and wind.
I'm really liking those tires. The reviews are pretty polarized on them, but I took a chance and I'm happy with them.
We will see how they hold up to my GRUESOME 1.5 mile commute :roll:

Now I just need a good lock and some lights.
Any recommendations?

stinkler said:
I cant be sporting a full face helmet and moto armor with a top speed of 30.
Its just not right. Its like putting a full roll cage in a stock VW beetle.

I got my kenda 838's on and I'm down to 16 to 17 amps cruising.
went from 1.1 1.2 AH one way to .8 - .9 amp hours.
Could just be traffic lights going my way and wind.
I'm really liking those tires. The reviews are pretty polarized on them, but I took a chance and I'm happy with them.
We will see how they hold up to my GRUESOME 1.5 mile commute :roll:

Now I just need a good lock and some lights.
Any recommendations?

I got those tires as well and I think they are awesome. It is amazing what this frame can deliver for the cost of it. I mean people can tell you all about buying 500+$ bikes but I think for the application this frame is really good.

As for the rear "shock". Can you post a picture of the new stance of the bike? Also are you pulling 16-17 amps cruising @ 28mph? you running 48V I suppose.

For lights ;

I ended up buying LED lights . It is small comes with a battery and is a real 1200 lumen light. The blinking mode is awesome, I can see people getting pissed off cause of the brightness. I offered the seller 35$ and he accepted. Couldn't find that same kit for less money. That seller ships fast!

Uhg my phone camera sucks :x
Heres how it sits now. Pedals are about 4 1/2 inches of the ground.
IMG_20120205_105836.jpg

As for the amp drain it seems to be all over the place.
I did a 5 mile run yesterday and used 5ah.
into the wind I was peaking 19amps.
On the way back the highest I saw was 17.
The slightest breeze changes everything.

Gonna have to ride about 2 miles the wrong way, then turn around so the commute will at least be 4.5 miles. 1.5 miles is over way too quick.

dogman said:
Gonna have to ride about 2 miles the wrong way, then turn around so the commute will at least be 4.5 miles. 1.5 miles is over way too quick.

HA yea I feel like such a lazy ass riding my ebike like 4 blocks to work.
I think the main reason I ride to work is so I can say "Look its not a badass toy, its a commuter vehicle and I am a responsible adult" :p
I had some good long runs this weekend. The low cell in the pack has caught up and balances perfect. woo!

Ordered a cycle analyst , controller and a proper twist throttle.
Got charged twice for some reason, hope it gets fixed :cry:
Going to try 18s 40 amps, see how it goes.
at 12s 30amps she never even gets warm.

If I were to upgrade the phase wires through the axle, whats the max gauge i could go? I cant find any info with search.
I need to have a disconnect near the axle for changing flats.
Had one today and it was a pain to change with the phase/hall wires tethering me to the bike. (thorn proof my ass) :x
Might as well upgrade while I'm messing with the wiring.

Now its official. Got me a proper ebike now I reckon.
IMG_20120210_150152.jpg

Just waiting on my anderson and my mini connectors to clean up the wiring.
It was clean then I got a new controller and stuff. Now its a disaster haha.
Also I'm pestering methods for a set of his lvc/hvc mojo.

Finally got the damn rear geometry right.
got a cheap 45$ shock off ebay.
Look actual oil dampening and rebound adjust even. :shock:
IMG_20120210_150233.jpg

IMG_20120210_150800.jpg

Its not bad for the price and it gets me another 1/2inch pedal clearance.
That swing-arm should be flat dammit! I'm not crazy!
Not much you can do with that much unsprung weight but its better than bouncing off your bike when you hit a rock.
IMG_20120210_151003.jpg

Got some foam ordered so I can sort out the battery triangle situation.
Then I think sheet aluminum or fiberglass for a box. Make it look less mad scientist / fire hazard. :p
Ive got about 60 miles on it so far and its been great.
The only downside is I am terrified to park it anywhere.
Ive got one armored alarmed cable and a 7 ft standard cable / padlock.
I need to rig a lowjack setup.

Got some fenders,rimtape and a sweet bag for my rack from REI. woo!
Made the box out of acrylic and some thin aluminum angle.
IMG_20120212_194318.jpg

Kinda fugly and huge but it should work till I get the motivation to do some fiberglass.
I need to paint it black so it wont look so terrible haha.
Might be a little too wide. Its not too bad.
IMG_20120212_180255.jpg

Now to make battery mounts in there. I just shoved the batts in the pack for now.

I put a brake handle with a switch for regen and got rid of a shifter.
Now its more of an emergency lever.
IMG_20120212_194502.jpg

Pull handle in-case of battery emergency.

Well I went to the post office to get my meth-tek goodies and it turned out I was tracking the wrong package.
IMG_20120214_155806.jpg

oops that wont fit in my pack.
When I got home my meth stuff box was waiting on the doorstep. :roll:
Now I'm just waiting for china to give me my charger,headlight and more batteries.
More batteries MORE BATTERIES
That should do it for parts. Now all that's left is the laughing and the screaming.

MORE BATTERIES!
IMG_20120217_164024.jpg

Look how freakin huge these things are.
They are the biggest most giantest lipos ive ever seen.
Never going to fit them on my frame.
The triangle box I made is just too damn big.
I think they will have to be boxed in up by the handlebars like a messenger pack or a gastank.
2 cells on each side. and 2 more in the pack as a booster if needed.
IMG_20120211_204836-1.jpg

I had an artist render what it would look like.
that's not the actual finished product its just some really good CGI.
You can take your 3d glasses off now. :p

anyone else struggling with these giant 8ah packs?
These might end up in a gocart and be replaced with something more practical for the triangle on this frame.
Like some cylinder cells or smaller 5ah packs.

stinkler, You got some skills! I like your creativity when it comes to solving the battery challenge that plagues us all. I will definately be borrowing some of your ideas. I especially like that thin aluminum angle you used. I am working on something similar myself. Did you rivet that together?

I also like your idea for the 8ah lipos
I think they will have to be boxed in up by the handlebars like a messenger pack or a gastank.
I was also contemplating something like that but can't put my head around how to solve it. I will be keeping an eye on your build to keep me inspired.
Keep up the good work.

Racer_X said:
Did you rivet that together?
I used countersunk bolts so they wouldn't be sticking out inside.
anytime I try to rivet acrylic it just explodes.
Cant even use that box cause I didn't take into account the stinking wires. :cry:

For now I have them in the rear rack and it works pretty good but I dont like all the weight up on top.

So heres what the wattsup meter says.
4.57Ah
IMG_20120218_211233.jpg

The Cycle analyst says.
5.209Ah
IMG_20120218_211245.jpg

anybody know the math to sort out my Rshunt value from these numbers?
Or I can just keep tweaking it every run.

I had good results from them returning a kit. They were quite pleasant. But they will want photos or detailed proof. Maybe they might offer you a new controller which they did for me.

Good luck

Got my rshunt value sorted pretty good.
Peaks around 55amps. Nothing getting warm yet even thrashing it around in the mud.

Installed my wanabe ghetto luminator.
Man that sucker is bright. I snagged power from the ca v+ and ground.
Its all just kinda slapped on there right now till my wire n plugs get here.
IMG_20120224_083522.jpg

Also I replaced the terrible front disc brake with a hayes nine set.
It works a lot better. Just wating for my shorter hoses to get rid of the giant loops.

Front fork is being replaced with an older epicon 100mm.
Rear is going to be a farfle swingarm.
So I guess all that's stock is the frame and handlebars haha.

IMG_20120224_114619.jpg

Threw on Ye Olde suntour epicon.
IMG_20120225_145556.jpg

It is just silly how much better it is.
haha those fake front dampeners make a low end suntour seem like a 1000$ fox.

My first bulk charge hooray!
IMG_20120228_194555.jpg

Never run into any building while holding this!
IMG_20120228_214206.jpg

charger kicked off at 49.94v.
pretty sweet :D

And farfle get me a tracking number for my rear swing arm wooooo I'm pumped!

Back