• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

First eBike build could use some advice

Orbz

1 µW
I bought a 20" Mongoose Massif on Craigslist with the intent of turning it into an eBike. I love the look of this thing and I think it will make a really cool ride and a very fun build! That being said, I do have a few questions. Was considering putting this hub into it. Will I be able to lace this hub into the rim I have already? I rather like the rims that came with this bike, would be a shame not to use them. The drop out is the same I think but I'm not a bike guy(yet) and I don't know much about lacing ether.
Would love any advice thank you!

here are some photos I took and specs(courtesy of this tread)
http://imgur.com/zmS05kV
http://imgur.com/XzYDa9x

Wheels:
ETRTO 406x93(100)
Tires:
(20"x4" 1/4")
100mm wide
556mm high
front dropout: 135mm
rear dropout: 175mm
ISO disc mount: yes

Frame:
100mm BB shell
175mm rear dropouts width
whelbase: 924mm
BB to ground: 250mm
Axle to Ground: 280mm
chainstay: 380mm
chainline: 73mm
toptube (virtual): 490mm
toptube (actual) 475mm
Seatpost Dia: 1 1/8
Seatpost min: 580mm
headtube angle: 69°
headset: 1" threaded
headtube lenght: 117mm
Dropout style: welded, 10mm vertical
Dropout mounts: ISO Disc mount (LH), derailleur hanger (RH)

fork:
dropout width 135mm
Axle to headtube (lower edge) 355mm
trail.: 90mm,

weight: 17.5 Kg

No problem relacing if the holepatterns are the same amount of holes, and you have spokes of the needed length.
I am guessing youll need shorter spokes for the hubmotor.

To lace a wheel you need something to mount it in/on. This can be the bike upside down as a last hand solution.
Preferably some simple stand where you can attach a micrometer to check how true it spins (I made my own from 20x20steel).
If you cant attach some measuringtool, you wont get a true wheel.

If you're unable to lace wheels you better start learning or find someone who can lace motor wheels. You learn by getting a spoke wrench and starting to learn how to true wheels. Once you know how that works, single cross lacing a motor wheel is not terribly difficult for beginners.

Otherwise your plan looks ok to me. Black spokes might be a PITA, depending what gauge you decide to use?

Motor specifies 12ga but I wouldn't go there. I'd go with 13/14ga single butted spokes but good luck finding them in black.

The only big issue will be if your rim is 32 holes, and the motor is 36.

Specifications change, but the one that I saw in a store about a year ago had rims with 36 holes; at the time was going to use 135 rear (before "fat" became available) in the front for my granddaughter since front spacing was 135.

Orbz said:
I bought a 20" Mongoose Massif on Craigslist with the intent of turning it into an eBike.

I have no problem in principle with clowning, but a normal sized adult riding on a little kid's bike is a clown maneuver. I think you're supposed to wear a fez for that.

5892574699_48a82465eb_b.jpg

Sweet! I had thought of doing the same thing with one of those little bikes!

Yes last time i checked those bikes had 36 hole rims so you should be able to get a motor laced into it.

That being said, if this is for transportation beyond booting around and to the corner store then you may want something else. That motor wont get you going too fast on those little tires but it will still handle poorly. The wheel base is so short. If you have ever ridden a bmx down a hill you will have an idea. Not stable at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments!
The rim does in fact have 36 holes. I have a micrometer already so I just need a place to mount the wheel while I work?
Thanks for the comment about the spoke gauge I wasn't sure what to get. I found quite a lot of information about lacing on the forums so I'll keep reading!
What am I looking at for speed/range with this motor on flat ground with a 20AH battery?
I was also considering a mid motor would that be viable in this case? I'm sure balance/power wise it would be better but will it fit?

I have no problem in principle with clowning, but a normal sized adult riding on a little kid's bike is a clown maneuver. I think you're supposed to wear a fez for that.

I already have a normal bike where's the fun in that? 8)

Consider fitting it with a banana seat, then. That was a popular technique in days of yore for stuffing a large kid onto a small bike.
bike.jpg

I like being closer to the ground than bicycle elitist. Doesn't make me a clown or bad person. Just makes me me.

I would watch the speed much beyond 20 mph on a rough road on a Massif is not a full suspension bike and you can be in for a bumpy ride.

heavymetalthunder said:
I would watch the speed much beyond 20 mph on a rough road on a Massif is not a full suspension bike and you can be in for a bumpy ride.

Those tires are rated for 35psi if I remember correctly. But they offer a cushier ride at much lower pressures, down to 15psi or even lower. There's little reason to pump up to the sidewall rating if you have motor power to push against the rolling resistance.

Back