Flash ebike reverse engineering and adaptation of an Eggrider

hpux735

1 µW
Hi all!
I've was given a flash bike a while ago, and I didn't realize just how much of a white elephant it was. For the past few months, I've been reverse engineering it, and I came up with a way to get rid of the proprietary crap. There are a few things that still don't work (button clusters, lights, and LCD), but with an Eggrider display it works perfectly.

In part 1 or the series, I introduced the background of this particular exercise, and why we're embarking on it. I disassembled the bike and identified the major pieces of its systems in part 2. And in part 3 we looked at the mainboard, figured out what its primary components were, and how they worked. We reverse engineered the BMS, in particular the communication protocol, in part 4. In part 5, we discovered the make and model of the ESC, and figured out our plan for moving forward with the project. Finally, in part 6, I made a custom wiring harness for the Eggrider and reassembled the bike.

Great stuff, I learned a lot and appreciate the work! Whew!

Setting up hardware around non-working parts is near and dear to my heart!

I'd love a way to determine Com protocols.

Thanks again.

Great stuff, I learned a lot and appreciate the work! Whew!

Setting up hardware around non-working parts is near and dear to my heart!

I'd love a way to determine Com protocols.

Thanks again.
Thanks, that means a lot!

Very engaging style, well presented, easy to understand. Many talents!

Add Bionx to that list of now-defunct proprietary ebike systems, leaving the user with marginally operable or nonoperational ebike (one of the earlier ones).

I wish someone could do a similar reverse-engineer of the 48v Bionx battery that I let sit a little too long without recharging. Evidently the voltage dropped below the cutoff point where the internal circuitry shuts everything down. Their program is required to reset but is now unavailable. Shame because it was recently rebuilt with new high-quality cells and unfortunately the only one who knew or had the method to do it is now out of business (from a fire I think?).

Thank you so much 🥰

Re. the Bionx... yikes that's a major bummer! are there any of the packs on eBay? I've had good luck getting parts for the Flash there. I think someone bought their parts from the bankruptcy manager.

Back