florida ebike law

I'm trying to figure out the rules of ebikes in fl. So far, I've got this:

No use of motor on sidewalks, license required, but then it's a "motor vehicle" if it can go over 20mph on road?

These links are why I ask. So what does riding an ebike legally require above 20mph? A driver's license? Lights? Turn signals? A license plate?

lxgoldsmith said:
These links are why I ask. So what does riding an ebike legally require above 20mph? A driver's license? Lights? Turn signals? A license plate?
it requires an OK by your local police chief.

if the bike is not speed limited to 20mph then it is no longer an electric bike by definition of law..
therefore it becomes an unregistered motor vehicle and you could become subject to citation, prosecution, etc.. if you want to go up to 30mph then check your local MOPED laws..

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/other-types.php

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Moped_Laws:_South#Florida

lxgoldsmith said:

I've been riding ebikes in Florida for at least fifteen years starting with a ZAP friction motor and various configurations of hub motors and large bulky battery packs that were anything but stealth and capable of 30+ mph without incident. But when traveling on roadways using the bike lane did not travel in excess of 20 MPH (cruise control really helps) and was very careful on bike paths. What I did do was carry a copy of the Florida bike and Federal bike laws on the bike just in case. My previous bike with all it's baskets, batteries, switches, wiring, controller and exposed electric monitoring equipment did indeed garner attention but I was never hassled by anyone.
I now ride a Pedego Interceptor that at first glance is very stealth but I carry copies of the regulations and have not been hassled in any way and still ride on bike paths, through County and State Parks and designated bike trails without incident. I've also ridden electric scooters that look a bit like small motor scooters when travelling by boat in FL, Georgia and SC without incident and all of that riding has been on sidewalks and paths. From reading all the problems in Endless Sphere over the years I believe preparation and courtesy trumps and in the event you are stopped then a informed explanation should be sufficient.
To the best of my knowledge an ebike capable of speeds over 20 MPH does indeed qualify as a motor vehicle and appropriate regulations apply. Unfortunately then the rules applying to low speed electric vehicles can also apply and then you have a major hassle because you are limited to roads with speed limits below 35 mph and are not allowed in bike lanes or sidewalks or bike paths. (think golf carts)
But....I ride in NE Florida (mostly Flagler, Volusia and St. Johns counties) and have no idea of what goes on in the big cities. I imagine following the rules for bicycles and extending courtesy is sufficient. When travelling by bike, or by boat, I try to remember that if I was in a hurry I'd seek alternative methods of transportation.
Good luck,
Mike

Good post. The single number one way to ride "under the radar" is not always a maximum stealth bike. However, not looking like a motorcycle may help a lot. That is, don't ride a scooter type "bike". Even a frankenbike is still recognized by most as just a "weird bike" rather than motorcycle.

Not riding like a hooligan is the real key. A holes get stopped for doing 30 mph on the bike path, not stopping at signs, wrong side of the road, etc.

If you already have a hooligan history it will be harder. If you are the towns drunk, and the cops know you have no license now, they may stop you and ask what you are doing. At that point, best if you at least appear to have a legal e bike. This is where a three speed switch can be your friend.

I also have begun riding in FL and built the bike to be legal. Stay under 20mph and if you're on the sidewalks pedal.

I've ridden couple thousand miles on my 25 MPH Pedego City Commuter within the last 6 months or so on Florida's west coast never stopped by the Police they checked me out too. Like the others said be respectful, I always pedal it slow like a regular bike on the minimum sidewalk riding I do to avoid situations, keep to the right & I use my blinky light even in the daytime { Lithium aaa disposable batteries are amazing last 9 x longer not just sales hype }.
I too ride in small towns though , so far so good...Rode 6k miles on Long Island before this without any incidents with the Police as well.

And if you're riding at night have a red rear and white front light. I'm in the process of getting mine and got reminded by the police last night (they told me to ride on the sidewalk if I have no lights.)

I have also found with my little 500W scooter that bike paths are not generally a problem as long as you're not ripping through at unreasonable speeds. If that little thing had a gas motor and was stinking up the trail I would expect to get flak. Nobody seems to mind the electric on the trail since it's quiet and clean. I recently got an electric motorcycle as well, and I would never dream of taking that on a bike path--just way too big for that small of a thoroughfare, no matter how slow you go.

Where are you getting your facts about the 25mph speed limit because I've always read 20mph max here in FL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

Back