Flycolor HV ESC120A 5-12S Anyone tested that?

Tamatoa

10 mW
Hi, I was looking for 12S ESC and found this on Alibaba. They claim it is 5S to 12 S, does anyone have experience with this ESC?
I am waiting from a reply from the seller but it is Golden week holiday in China so no one is replying yet.

Tamatoa

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,176
Googled it and found a mini-review on rcgroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2232285

Seems like there may be an equivalent rebranded on HK?

By Pompebled:
Hi guys,

I responded to this topic:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2187232
I'm not a native English native speaker, but I see that as an 'advantage', as I won't read the Chinglish as easy as a native speaker probably would, which makes understanding what's actually meant and turning it into readable English more of a challenge...
(I may have bitten off more than I can chew, we'll see).

I received the instructions and a test ESC, the 120A watercooled version.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Flycolor+ESC

As a first test, I installed the ESC in my 43,3" MAS model which is powered by an Aeolian C-4250-800Kv outrunner on 4S, turning a 55 mm two blade coarse pitched prop.
See build thread for specs: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...i+Sommergibile

As this semi scale model requires forward and reverse operation, I read the instructions and gave it a go.
Unfortunately the instructions are translated by a machine, this introduces some strange words and phrases, which makes it next to impossible to understand what is meant exactly.
I have been programming Mystery type ESC's, counting beeps without issues, but this is something else (or I'm getting too old...).
After a frustrating hour, I gave up and ordered a programming box from Hobbyking, who sells these ESC's under the Turnigy label.

Once the programming box had been delivered, setting up the ESC for forward reverse (without brake) was very easy.

The programmable functions are:
1) operation mode:
- forward with brake
- forward & reverse with brake
- direct forward & reverse without brake.
I used the third option to be able to reverse without having to wait until the motor has stopped.

In a fast electric, the fact the brake can't be turned off in the software is a bit unnerving, as stopping the motor at full speed could cause a threaded prop to unwind itself from the propshaft, if the counter nut hasn't been tightened enough.

2) Neutral range:
- 6%
- 9%
- 12%
The default dead band setting is 9%, being able to widen or narrow it is a nice feature if you run your model very far from the transmitter as I do, and still be sure the motor will have stopped, when you put the throttle stick (mine doesn't self center, no spring) in the center position.

3) Low Voltage cut off:
- no cut off
- 2,6V
- 2,8V
- 3,0V
- 3,2V (default setting)
- 3,4V

4) Start up acceleration (softstart):
Nine levels, with level 6 as default setting.
This shows the car background of this software, I have no use for it in a scale boat, as it applies to both forward and
reverse; backing out of an eminent collision works better when the motor responds immediately...

Once I've tested this feature in my fast electrics, I'll be able to tell if it has any use there, avoiding spikes for example.

5) Reverse force:
- 25%
- 50%
- 75%
- 100%
Again from the car heritage, but useful in a fast model if your transmitter doesn't have the option to reduce the reverse, avoiding submerging the boat over the stern.
The ESC setting reduces the range, you still have proportional control.

6) Entrance angle setting (timing).
- 0°
- 5°
- 10°
- 15°
- 20° (default setting)
- 25°
- 30°
- automatic

You can't select the PWM setting and the instructions don't mention if it's 8KHz or 16KHz.
The ESC also detects the number of cells when initializing, you can't set the cellcount by programming box of counting beeps.
After testing the ESC in my fast electrics, I'll be able to tell if this is important or not.

The testrun in the MAS showed a nice low end response, which allows the model to run rather slow, similar to the T-120 and ICE 100A ESC.
A prop with less pitch (more scale like) will allow even slower running.

Compared to the T-120 and ICE 100A ESC's, which I tried in this model earlier, the Flycolor is build like a tank with it's aluminum housing, in which the electronics are sealed in 100% watertight, it'll run submerged without any issues, as I found out, running in the pouring rain, water entered the model through a leaky hatch, which
resulted in half an inch of water in the motor compartment where the ESC sat.
Only the ESC did get wet, as all other components were mounted higher in the hull.

It's also bigger and heavier than both other ESC's.

Prolonged full throttle runs were no problem, no heat build up at all.
As the motor/prop combo usually runs on a 100A ESC, I wasn't expecting thermal issues anyway.
Running at partial throttle also left the ESC completely cold to the touch.

As soon as the weather improves, I'll go test this ESC in my 31"Arowana, to see what the other features of this ESC do on a fast electric.

So far I'm pleaseantly surprised with the performance, the written instructions require some work though.

To be continued.

Regards, Jan.

Obviously geared towards RC, but looks like standard adjustments and configuration options. Soft start, neutral range, brakes 25/50/75/100, timing... Wonder which is the rebranded on HK - i'll go look now!

Looks promising if it can really do 12s!

Looks like this might be it (not quite identical):
38782.jpg
38782-1.jpg

TURNIGY K-Force 120A-HV OPTO V2 5-12S Brushless ESC
$115?

I'd still go VESC unless it was $60-80 range. If nothing else the brake squeal on car ESC's vs VESC (not even counting regen braking). Enertion VESC 4.8 is ~$120 depending on daily conversion to AUD.

How expensive is it on Alibaba?

Hi,

thanks for the reply Sleepy, And for taking the time to research that. I should have thought of looking into RC forums :oops:
I was also planning on using VESC for myself, but because I am considering a small side business making eboards back home i am looking at cheaper alternatives. The market is very small over there and people can't spend too much.

They list it at 5$ to 15$ on Alibaba with a minimum order quantity of 12 units so it might be 15$ a piece FOB Shenzhen, China.
http://flycoloresc.en.alibaba.com/p...ess_ESC_for_Electric_Skateboard_Shenzhen.html

I will try to get a sample and try this out first, if possible I will let you know if it is any good.

Thanks again for the information.

Tamatoa

Tomatoa - that makes sense. Can't compete with it at that price! Definitely worth a shot. One thing that's always seems inconsistent is the brakes. I would definitely make sure and get the programming card or usb/software interface to adjust the brakes until they work well slow and fast. Sometimes they can be proportionate, so at slow speeds it's OK, but at faster speeds it's too much (throw you). Just something to test especially if putting them into boards for someone else.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out!! Great price for a 12s setup.

Hello,

I totally forgot to report. As torqueboard said, the price they displayed wasn't real so I did not try to purchase it. I went with the FVT 12S esc and as a matter of fact, I am currently soldering the comnectors to it.

Sorry for letting this thread I started dying.

Hi Tamatoa
No worries. Hope you soon have a good ride. Let us know how you went on.
Maybe a photo of your build. :D

Back