Frockfest

Heh yeah I remembered that and figured that was what he was talking about. FT's problem is he's such a widespread asshole he forgets who and how he disses people :p

That's cool that stealth is coming alone. Y'all in trouble if John rocks up with a fury :mrgreen:
Or actually anything from their lineup :p

Off topic, anyone got a 20" cast rim magic pie they wanna swap for a 26" one ? It's a long shot I know but that would make life easier for throwing together a quick race bike.

interrigent.jpg

John's in trouble if Alan turns up. The sheer physics of an upright bike dictate that a recumbent has it sorted on that track.

Samd said:
John's in trouble if Alan turns up. The sheer physics of an upright bike dictate that a recumbent has it sorted on that track.
Yes I must admit I was looking at electric recumbents on youtube last night just out of admiration for Alan's impressive drifting maneuvers

However what if John welds the frame of 2 x stealth's together and makes a beast-monster quad upright tandem electric, and wires the throttles of both motors together 8)

Although probably that would require two riders, with one person leaning way out as counterbalance like those crazy sidecar motorbike racers on TV :shock:

Ha! There is a few recumbent plans on instructables.com where you do exactly as you describe -just weld two bikes together and build a cradle between.
Hmmm: Inb4 "FrankenFrockCumbent" :roll:

I was surprised though at how many times Alan almost rolled though as his drifts struck a tuft of grass on the perimeter. Although an upright bike with the acceleration of Deathbike4 might compensate enough on the straight...

Samd said:
an upright bike with the acceleration of Deathbike4 might compensate enough on the straight...
Yeah that's the winning strategy in a nutshell really.

If you had the luxury of creating the ideal frockfest bike, you would create something with ultra acceleration and mega brakes, so you can decelerate quickly enough to take the corners at a safe speed, then slam on the accelerator again for the next straight(-ish) bit. Plus fat knobbys for some gravel grip.

But for the average ebiker like me, I'm happy to just rock up and frock on!

And I am gonna do my best to make sure TheBeastie and I arrive on time for the main event for this next one. The first one we arrived late and it was like running onto the field of the grand final after the game was over... still fun but not as cool as being a main event player ;)

Samd said:
I was surprised though at how many times Alan almost rolled though as his drifts struck a tuft of grass on the perimeter. Although an upright bike with the acceleration of Deathbike4 might compensate enough on the straight...
While obviously this is fun for all comers at this stage of the game, when things get more serious then there's going to need to be classes. It's going to be a small field obviously - possibly just Alan alone for the next little while, but you can't really compare times of a bike and a trike, or an electric gokart for that matter. If something needs to have a heap more power just to keep up or break even then it needs looking at differently.

Also mere hours after I mentioned the stealth fury they updated their FB page this this pic. Coincidence ? :mrgreen:

549518_567182263312965_1119188273_n.jpg

Nah man they've got it covered, those foot pegs are actually a rod that goes right through the frame. The inside has a roller on it that acts as a friction drive on the rear wheel, you just have to roll the soles of your shoes over and over on the pegs to get it moving :lol:

haha! maybe they could just shuffle it like a kiddies balance bike :D

FWIW I am planning to hit the Altona Goat Track Saturday morning for some testing... race/shop/sponsored bike now running LiPo 14s @25amps (twice the power/consumption of last frockfest iteration on paper around 1.4 kw.. been testing it on 14s (58v hot off the charger) tops out at around 50km on road and somewhat better acceleration than in the 10 amp controller config... Motor barely gets warm on a no pedal 6leevel carpark "hill climb"

Thanks to Samd for his testing similar controller at 15s, also another mate who has done 15s on identical controller to mine in the last week, though with enclosed controller (in a bag) said mate reckons the controller pumps out a bit of heat.

Still a few "upgrades" to be done to race/shop/sponsored bike, IE addition of disc on rear...(meaning I can remove the customised vintage road rear rim brakes also meaning I can fit an off road tyre... will be considering power mods to controller down the track, but also want to keep controller/wheel vanilla as the base kit is what I am hoping/offering as the basis for a specific class of same same gear which I Really really really would like to see happen. but anyways in the "new" configuration the race/shop/sponsored bike will match the power of Merlin's bike and The Beastie's... (tho not the beastie's geared motor torque)... Should outperform Samd's first frockfest iteration but sounds like he's gonna be uber powering it on a different build for next time :twisted:

I've actually got some pretty comprehensive bought plans for a two tadpole trikes, one of which is a bit lightweight, but the other plans are more along the line's of Alan's beast.. still need to buy a welder, and learn how to weld proper tho .. Maybe a winter project if customers stop rolling in...

Hella busy with a new shipment of wheels arriving, the ongoing stocktake as I expand into my larger workshop, and an ever increasing trickle of jobs n customers... But still have plans to build a a more torquey (2kw+) dd Frock if I can to race on the 28th

Let's get it on!!!

joe

who gon stop me huh?

file.php

Picked it up for a mate so he can roll instead of strolling from the tram stop to work, lipo and beefy controller time.

Joe you got a scooter right, race for slips next 'fest :eek:

Naaah, yours will whoop this whimp sleeper :cry:

Joe if you're twitchy about 15S you can always charge to 4.1V per cell. But a KU121 will set you back about 23 bucks from China.

The scooter round should stay true to form and swap the pedal lap with a lap of brisk running. :mrgreen:

Hyena, that Fury would be cooler if it had a shagpile back and was called Furry...

Samd said:
Joe if you're twitchy about 15S you can always charge to 4.1V per cell. But a KU121 will set you back about 23 bucks from China.

:D one thing I don't need is MORE cheap controllers, having roughly thirty of them as part of complete cohnis kits...and prolly a dozen or so more from various accumulations bought through ES and e-bay. Most of the "twitchiness" is due to reading here on ES that the caps have very little tolerance for overvoltaging, but it seems that a volt or 2 hot of the charger is not so bad... Be That As It May, it is really cool that these buggers do appear to still function under 15s... One of my main considerations being that I can pass on the kits, or builds made from them, with the ability to support/warranty use at a "higher voltage" of 15s... easy LiPo config of three * 5s... My current 14s pack is made from 8s + 6s which does complicate the charging process for the average punter, even though hot off the charger at max recommended gives 58 volts... So yeah, the 15s research/testing by others has been invaluable for me giving me a relatively good upper voltage tolerance level which helps me provide n support upgrade paths for the cheaper kits.

Joe

Tho indeed "big Red" would outclass yer mate's scooter, T3sla... At least two from this section of Frankencycle's collection (the blade and the unnamed silver one in the middle) could make for a similar class if we wanna do a circuit or two "for kicks"...
collectionofsmallscooters.gif

get it? For "kicks"

kick scooters...

Ahhh ... nevermind :D

Joe

Yep I ran those standard cheap NF75 fet controllers with 63v caps at 15S for well over a year without incident. At 40+ amps too.
They're also right at the limit of what the cheap watt meters can run which is nice for an overall low cost system.
The fets are rated at 75v typically so they're no issue, just the caps. But they quickly knock off that surface charge and dip safely below 63v

Hyena said:
Yep I ran those standard cheap NF75 fet controllers with 63v caps at 15S for well over a year without incident. At 40+ amps too.
They're also right at the limit of what the cheap watt meters can run which is nice for an overall low cost system.
The fets are rated at 75v typically so they're no issue, just the caps. But they quickly knock off that surface charge and dip safely below 63v

Oooooh! 40 Amps! Nice ( you bloody maniac!)... (is that through shunt mods?)

Thanks mate

Joe

I hope so.
Getting tired of telling him to go get shunted.

Yep shunt mods + beefed up traces.
Alot of those cheapie wang chung controllers are actually overspecced for what they deliver out of the box. Like most of the cheap conhis/GM kits actually come with 15 fet controllers. I guess they often end up inside bags and get no cooling though so they run them with overheads. And apparently its cheaper to use more cheap fets than less good ones.

Samd said:
Getting tired of telling him to go get shunted.
That's a coincidence, a bloke a the pub called me a shunt this arvo. Atleast I think he said shunt . Funny, he didn't look like he knew alot about electronics...

So, on the off chance I can get my shit together, the 28th is a goer right ?
Fly into avalon airport ? Is there a Kmart near there ? I'll need to purchase a ride to convert for the race :lol:

Was her name 'beefed up Trace?'

Hmmm. How to get a bmx freewheel onto this....

Ahhh the joys of modding brushed controllers.
FETs blow, gates open and current comes rushing through :shock:

I shunt myself. :oops:

Edit, I'm listening to Wang Chung :mrgreen:

Samd said:
Was her name 'beefed up Trace?'
Ah, every establishment has their beefed up Trace. She's a whole lot of woman but there's always many around who resist-her. What you've gotta watch out for is there's always a row of trannies with their backs to the wall, looking to switch things up. You don't want to end up on the low side of them, let one in your gate and you could unexpectedly find sauce in your drain!

edit: the wang chung controller company may be a subsidiary of the big chicken motor company!

Hyena said:
Fly into avalon airport ? Is there a Kmart near there ? I'll need to purchase a ride to convert for the race :lol:

Ya never know, Might be able to glue something together for you from this stuff...

View attachment 1

That Old Skool Huffy on the right might be Just what you need :D Though I must confess, taking into account your short stature, I had kinda reserved this one for ya:

Dreamin.gif

There's a kmart pretty close too if you want to get the real quality stuff :D

Joe

Joe, excellent!

We can attach my 20" pie for the race, but only if we run the batteries in a front basket with pictures of cats.

2013-03-20 23.33.56.jpg

oh and tassles

ROFL you guys crack me up :p

BTW t3sla, WTF exactly IS that 20" Pie.

Looks excitingly dangerous... and especially so on once attached to the "dreamin" pink girlie bike :wink:

Back