Frockfest

Alternatively I have access yo a .edu domain.

So now we are a technical college that a class about electric bikes.

I'm trolling through the City of Casey website now trying to find the actual local laws... not easy...

But I can tell you that their definition of a rooster is a male chicken of any age.... :D

Joe

'kay so reading through their Casey Community local law doc

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/include...y_Community_Local_Law_No-_2_2010_v31Jan13.pdf

I think this is the law that COULD apply:

32. Vehicles in a public place
(1) A person must not, except with a permit, park, drive or ride a
registered or unregistered vehicle or recreational vehicle in or on
a public place, road, reserve or Council land unless that public
place, road, reserve or Council land has been designed or developed for the purpose of parking, riding or driving a vehicle or
recreational vehicle.

I think these are the Penalties that COULD apply :
32(1) Park, drive or ride a vehicle or recreational vehicle in a public
place, road, reserve or Council land contrary to the purpose – first
offence Penalty Points 3
32(1) Park, drive or ride a vehicle or recreational vehicle in a public
place, road, reserve or Council land contrary to the purpose –
second and subsequent offence Penalty Points 5

I'm damned if I can find what these penalty units translate to... It does however appear that the council has had a bit of a hassle with gassers charging about in recreational areas... n that may be why there are specifics about "non-motorised" vehicles mentioned in relation to the track...

Specific mention of noise in media releases regarding impounding of ICE motobikes n scooters... n we all know THAT aint a problem (noise I mean)

All in all I have a feeling that we could prolly "get away with a warning" if someone strenuously complains and calls the by law officers out and with t3sla's sweet-talkin' ways we may even be able to think of ourselves as legit... within limits :D

As an "underground" event if we hold it outside of club bookings, dont try to get permits but do it as a loosely organised group of enthusisasts that just rock up to the facility and do our stuff then leave... may not even cause a ripple...

Joe

t3sla said:
full-throttle said:
Bingo!

Good things happen when you talk to your workmates while drinking beer :mrgreen:

Criterium track, Casey Fields, Cranbourne

Rigid!

Site looks good
http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/criteriumcyclingtrack/

Edit: saw winkinatcha post.

Ok, so we are now a NFP(non for profit) that is helping people with physical disability rehabilitate through the use of electric bikes.

KiM you cool with being pimped out in such a manor?

No one will frock with us and you might get a free flights, lol :p

All good with me buddy ;) If i could afford it i would definitely be there
be cool to catch up with Jay again :wink: and the other forum members ;)

KiM

Things are moving ahead.

-FT & WK have conducted successful location investigations
-Possibility of having the first event in a month is very likely
-Spoke with Stealth (John) today, ''sounds good, I'd bring some of the bike down and have a ride''
-We have access to hiking GPS for accurate measurements, will try make a quick release for rider change over on the drag tests.
-12V power source with AC Inverter for laptop (log data and read results) and USB charing (phones, GPS, camera)

So what was the winning venue?

Heh, I have no idea :)

My current timeline:

T3sla starts this thread
Joe/winkinatcha offers $200 as prize money and begins search for venue
Joe/winkinatcha finds potential abandoned gokart venue
Joe/winkinatcha organises look-see of gokart venue.. full-throttle to come with
Full-throttle finds Criterion Track
Joe/winkinatcha and Full-throttle check out go-kart venue, take raw video, take pics find some extra areas beside go-kart venue.. Joe using new whizzbang contour camera with GPS

T3sla announces venue found, John from Stealth to come along (reckon T3sla and Full-throttle got to chatting with John at St. Kilda EV demo this sunday... couldn't go as work stuff got in the way)

I ain't spoken to T3sla, he aint spoken to me...

Hoping T3sla mentioned Frankencycle already fronted $200 prize money, n hoping John is gonna chuck in something Prizey as well.
Fearing that what I've done n offered so far has been forgotten already or for some reason means zip.

Feeling left out n unappreciated

*sniff*

Joe

Everything under control 8)

Joe and myself had a look at the Altona track. It's heaps of fun! One of us hopefully will put a video together.

I'm away next weekend and the weekend after we were planning to check out the track in Cranbourne. So will have a better idea in 2 weeks.

At this stage I think it's too early worrying about sponsorship and money. I'd really like to run the first event before winter.

full-throttle said:
At this stage I think it's too early worrying about sponsorship and money. I'd really like to run the first event before winter.

+1

T3sla... I say we lock in the date, and then nominate the track once we have decided. More chance of people coming the more warning we give them.

Coolies, Back on track... Some info 'bout what Full-Throttle n I found with the go-kart track.

Getting there via train was pretty simple, basically get to seaholme on the werribee line, n then short bunnyhop from station to walk.cycling track, little dirt turnoff past the wreckage of a stadium (think the old horse track T3sla mentioned) and onto the gokart track itself.

The Palm tree near the centre of the track ya can see from the zoomed in satellite/google map foto in my previous post makes a good landmark, and can be seen from the train on the approach to seaholme stn, coming from Melbourne.

The place is far enough off the beaten track that it's doubtful a gathering would attract much attention from the general public. And as an indication, I think I saw maybe 4 cyclists on the Saturday afternoon pass by in the couple of hours we were there, and there was even a para glider having a practice in the open area back past the cycling track... if anything's gonna attract unwanted attention that would do it.. but meh nary a peep.

the track itself is definately old n weathered, but surprisingly the outer ring is not too bad... the little inner dip (past the palm tree) has a lot of vegetation (cooch grass type stuff), but that would be easily whipper-snipperd clean, again no big lumps or bumps Though passing through some of the clumps while trying to do a reasonable lap had me ready for crunches that didn't happen :D.

the surface of the track is weathered and fairly loose in most parts, but I am pretty sure a good sweep with a yard broom or two would make a vast improvement and in many places, the "undersurface" looks stable.

I reckon a "working bee" of half a dozen people with a couple of yard brooms n a whipper snipper could have the place looking usable within a day.

Full throttle and i did a few laps.. on the straightaway I was able to get my ride up to around 40km/h betwwen corners n still be able to negotiate the corners like a scared little granny :D

I've been mulling over in my head the best way to use the track in an ev race, n considering that prolly most of us haven't been in a fair dinkum race situation, I reckon the ideal way to approach a raceday would be to have participants do a "best of 3" timed laps, n rank "racers" by time, n then possibly finish with a race between the top three or five or wotever. I reckon more than 5 racers at a time on the track would potentially be more dangerous than good.

In addition to the track, there is an area (also visible on the zoomed in map pic, showing white patches) of really nice packed sand that would provide a good area for straightaway drag style races between a couple of bikes, I think I managed to get up to about 50km/h no peddling on a straight section, with room to brake at the end, and even a small twisty technical track that goes from that sandy area through to the beach... not uber downhill balls to the bar, but a bit of cool off road experience.

I'll be working on the vids today to give peeps an idea of what was there without too many boring bits... I did a complete walk of the track with video and there's a couple of bits where Full throttle and I are both camera'd up and doing laps. some coll stuff from the dirt-track and sand pan too :)

Personally I'm in love with this track cos of it's remoteness and possibility that we'll actually be able to improve it for others without any form of "being naughty" in the eyes of the law, but totes understand if peeps would rather the smoother n less dangerous existing infrastructure of the Criterion track.

Joe

Nice work guys, looking forward to the track video.

winkinatcha said:
Fearing that what I've done n offered so far has been forgotten already or for some reason means zip.
Feeling left out n unappreciated
Don't reach for the my chemical romance album and razor blades just yet Joe :p

As stated it's way too early to get caught up in such things. A dry run or 2 is definitely warranted as a precurser to a properly organised event at which stage we can look at making things legit with prizes, sponsorship, interstate attendance etc.
If I lived locally I'd be there in a flash but I'll wait until things are better organised until I spent a chunk of cash on getting myself and bike down there. I have been thinking about the best way to get my gear down there though for the least expense and hassle.
Unless someone else is driving down with a van or something I'm thinking freighting the battery and rear wheel down ahead of time and flying down with the rest of the bike on the plane with me is probably the way to go. I'll be time limited so will probably fly down the night before, put the bike together then, race the next morning then fly out that night.

But I MUST cut myself Cut cut cut... :D

hey Jay, I've just got my fully expanded space now, so if you need some w'shop facilities for assembling n storage, you are welcome to what I have.

joe

MOTHER OF GOD

-FT & WK have conducted successful location investigations

investigations
investigations
investigations
investigations
investigations
investigations

[youtube]jYj7T9eEQ4U[/youtube]

Code:
So what was the winning venue?

My summary was of the weekends events to keep everyone in the loop, nothing in stone yet

frock I hate posting then sleeping.

There was no mention of location X is where event is being handled.
There was no listing of what everyone has done said or offered until this point of time.

Just a rehash in the day of the life.
I went from a wedding, to bar hopping, to white night festival, to working at the EV festival.
Didn't want to feel like I let AFK get in the way of keeping things moving.
I was home for two hours this weekend, one last week they were just some dot points before I crashed.

Would you rather we renamed the event to the 'frankencycle $200 winkinatcha extravaganza'
John doesn't have to offer shit, no one does.
Just be easy man, chill the frock out.
Do it for the love, no the credit.

full-throttle said:
Ah frock it.. :mrgreen:

[youtube]eXOd6P_6tDg[/youtube]

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :twisted:

So we a good for Frockfest?

I had the idea for EBR, feels like a good acronym.
Electric Bicycle/Bike Racing
Also stands for Experimental Breeder Reactor which is decommissioned research reactor.
It became the world's first electricity-generating nuclear power plant when it produced sufficient electricity to illuminate four 200-watt light bulbs....heh 200Watt :lol:

How are things done in such an ES society, technocracy, democracy or che guevara style VC in tree long winter on three fronts (I'm fully aware at the sheer retardation that last listing took by drawing on three non related wars)

EDIT:

Joe what bike you got in that video? Looks nice (no I'm not trying to scav as much info as I can pre race 8)

EDIT2:

I should learn to read more before I post.

Unless someone else is driving down with a van or something I'm thinking freighting the battery and rear wheel down ahead of time and flying down with the rest of the bike on the plane with me is probably the way to go. I'll be time limited so will probably fly down the night before, put the bike together then, race the next morning then fly out that night.

What joe said.
As for doing an interstate run.
I have some, well fair bit of experience shipping bikes interstate.
East coast is nice as easy, syd to melb is usually $80-$100 couriers work well, west coast is nasty usually better when you pallet a few as it's a marginal price increase and much safer (damage). The bike must be tight within the box, room for play is a huge issue, you have to double line piercing areas such as pedals and undo handle bars then cable tie.
Endless amounts of box strapping, you would be surprised how often it ends upside-down.
As I've said, nothing to worry about.

We focus on the immediate which is resolving a transferable formula for racing our bikes, document our results and findings.
Proceed to iron out the kicks and lead by example :)

Nice Vid Full Throttle :D

T3sla, That's Shorza's first hi-power build (GT Avalanche frame, Judy RockShox front, hardtail dual disc, custom torque arms, regen, 9 continent rear (not sure wot number) 18s at 40 amp == 3kw topspeed 70 kph, in frame batterries using plastic downpipe with vinyl cover...Maxis Holy roller tyres)

Joe

Thanks for the offer Joe, I may have to take you up on that :)
I wonder who owns that land. It'd be rad if someone was loaded to buy it and resurface the track and set it up as a designated venue :mrgreen:
Failing that who has a mate in the council who could be slipped some cash to swing by after work and dump some left over bitumen on the track and then skip over it with a steam roller ? :p

Looks a little too rough to race on in the current condition. Ok for mucking around but from the vid it looks like you couldn't ride too enthusiastically. The other track, or a gokart track or similar is probably still going to be necessary for the main event.

Hey I had another idea on the weekend is for a standardised / control bike drive train. When I was looking into doing saloon car racing a few years back they had pretty strict rules on the setups of the cars, they had to have control tyres, suspension ECUs, cams etc. If we did the same with bikes it would level the playing field and ensure everyone can be involved.
Maybe have a standard lowish powered kit that everyone had to run in that category - say a 26" rear hub 9C style motor with 12 fet controller @ 40 amps and a 12S lipo battery. Even make it a short race with a 5ah battery to minimize cost and simplify set up. 2x 6S bricks from hobbyking taken otu of the box and thrown into series for racing and then disconnected with a single snap for parallel charging. Someone could walk off the street and be racing for $500 and then keep the bike afterwards. I'd be happy to organise a group buy of the kits if there's not sufficient local stock already.

edit: damn it, 2 pages of posts while I'm drafting my reply over 2 hrs while doing other stuff at work :lol:

I am still willing to offer up what I did on this previous went-nowhere thread (barring the cash, as I've put it into more stock :D)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46508

Edit: and if I did THAT yeah I'd expect it to be called the "Frankencycle Winkinatcha Praise Him Praise Him PRAISE HIM 'cos he is ace and has an enormous penis race thanks to JOE" :lol: :mrgreen:

Joe

Hyena said:
Looks a little too rough to race on in the current condition.
It needs a good sweep as Joe said. Remember it's not just about power, there has to be some skill involved.

Hyena said:
Ok for mucking around but from the vid it looks like you couldn't ride too enthusiastically.
I could and I did! Awesome fun going in and out of the corners! Joe had better tires though.

full-throttle said:
Hyena said:
Looks a little too rough to race on in the current condition.
It needs a good sweep as Joe said. Remember it's not just about power, there has to be some skill involved.

Personally I prefer it like that, rough and dirty. I know in moto sport they have races where part of the track becomes rally then flips back to bitchumen
Suspension really comes into play and bike/rider handling is upped.

Kind a like 0-50/70Kmh, then back to 0kmh.
It one thing to get to speed an other to have a rider(balls) and bike(quality) than can handle getting back down fast.

T3sla, That's Shorza's first hi-power build (GT Avalanche frame, Judy RockShox front, hardtail dual disc, custom torque arms, regen, 9 continent rear (not sure wot number) 18s at 40 amp == 3kw topspeed 70 kph, in frame batterries using plastic downpipe with vinyl cover...Maxis Holy roller tyres)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice, that's a great top-speed speed for 18s

The way to get bitumen laid is via slabs, speaking for experience the kiwis (who mainly tar the roads here) will divert flow for a good 'ol slab of crownies. Or you know, some high vis vest and quick cement do just a good a job 8)
Don't mind spending time fixoring track, I'm basically away for the next two weekends but I should be able to something mid week

Save the endowment bravado for the races
:mrgreen:

My bikes not exactly built for this style races(low top speed)... Guess if I build something it will be to the 'slot car' Hyena/winkinatcha spec. Which I'm 90% sure just comes down to rider weight and 10% skillz.
Or I grab something with a speed wind and change over when we meet for track days :p

winkinatcha said:
I am still willing to offer up what I did on this previous went-nowhere thread (barring the cash, as I've put it into more stock :D)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46508
Ah I missed that before, maybe because it was right on xmas.
Some very similar ideas posted there - good to see we're all on the same page.

if I did THAT yeah I'd expect it to be called the "Frankencycle Winkinatcha Praise Him Praise Him PRAISE HIM 'cos he is ace and has an enormous penis race thanks to JOE"
Nope, I call naming rights as it spawned from the hijacking of my build thread :p
Besides, I've been racing other ebikers for pink slips since atleast the start of 2011 :lol:

[youtube]hVfjXcIyc5k[/youtube]

full-throttle said:
True, and I guess it adds an extra element of interest if you're spending 1/2 the time navigating an obstacle course of missing track :lol:

Awesome fun going in and out of the corners!
Cool. I suppose as long as the condition of the track and rough patches are such that it allows you to still belt around (ie not a sudden ripped section mid way through a sweeper you'd otherwise be able to lay into.

t3sla said:
Personally I prefer it like that, rough and dirty.
Nope, I'm not going to touch that :p
(...that's what she said)
BOOM BOOM :mrgreen:

9 continent rear (not sure wot number) 18s at 40 amp == 3kw topspeed 70 kph,
That'd be a 9x7 (or is it 7x9, I can never remember the bloody naming conventions!) - and with 120% timing you can squeeze just over 70 from them.
This was the basis for all my kits back in the day.

The way to get bitumen laid is via slabs, speaking for experience the kiwis (who mainly tar the roads here) will divert flow for a good 'ol slab of crownies.
That'd be pretty sweet! Assuming there was enough access to get in there. Though like you say if it's only the odd bad patch you could probably DIY it. Im not sure hitting a sudden patch of cement would be desirable if cornering hard (especially in the wet) but you can probably get by.

Guess if I build something it will be to the 'slot car' Hyena/winkinatcha spec.
To be honest I'm not planning to show up with an absolute ball tearer - maybe a few years down the track once it's more established but for now I'd be happy to rock up with an a lightly modded (ie drilled) crystalyte.

Or I grab something with a speed wind and change over when we meet for track days :p
Speed winds for racing will probably end in tears without good thermal management. But that's all part of the fun.

Hyena said:
Speed winds for racing will probably end in tears without good thermal management. But that's all part of the fun.

Mate didn't I just say that I liked it rough and dirty?
Use the tears as 'cooling' lubricant

Edit;

Since the wiki entry still has the hub motor section for the word frock it's looking like a good term with decent homage.
But what of an acronym?

Fastest
Rider
Or
Consecutive
King

Fastest
Rider
On
Compact
Kangaroo

Edit.

SamD it's not the trouble you get in for AFK, it's the trouble you get into while being AFK :p

Edit2
Erm, my posts are hella sloppy like four edits and half of a quote disappeared but H caught the quote :)

ca5.jpg

Sorry for the AFK. Got me into less trouble than Tesla tho.
Would be interesting in the long run to see where they do cyclocross races in Melbs. In the long run it might make an interesting race between ebikers and pedalheads.

And the track might suit our needs.

t3sla said:
Guess that explains why LFPs hubs have them funny looking cut outs....

That's for a different race, called the cocks plate :mrgreen:

See this is why we can't legitimize :roll:
Yeah, reaffirmed 3 lines above :lol:
I think we're going about it the right way so far, make it fun and make it happen, then refine over time.

Speaking of tracks, if you dont mind being disrespectful (arguably) cemetaries would make great place to race (and is a more literal take on the death race!) My dad and I often ride in our local cemetary, primarily to 'visit' relatives but the ride out is always spirited (pardon the pun!)

What about universities on a sunday ? If we approached them from more of a green / EV / new development innovation/technology point of view (via the relevant faculties) they might actually be onboard if the necessary precautions were taken (paths roped off to stop the odd pedestrian wanding through getting bowled over etc)

Back