Gaozhao Charger Investigated (non-OEM from China)

dnmun said:
maybe this is the first charger you ever owned. all the charger fans are noisy. except maybe the headway charger but it is on 3.3A anyway. by screw i assume you mean the trimpot labeled R15A? it most probably is used to set the final charger voltage. i think i have contributed a small amount to understanding how chargers work and how to maintain them. i even know how that one is gonna fail, but you will find out when it happens so why spoil the fun?

if you can get a battery to 240V then maybe worry about the plug but most people use better connectors anyway.

Well, my Gaozhao Charger charger stopped working the other day. If my multimeter is correct its outputing about 80vdc when it should be doing 60vdc. The first sign of issues was the fan getting much louder than usual. Maybe getting to much voltage. The last time it did anything when plugging in the battery was louder and louder fan for a few seconds then stopped. Now it doesn't even attempt to charge. Do you know what might be causing these problems?

I know it is been over a year already, but for those that might be having the same problem, it is caused by the control board. This is the one mounted vertically. Try re-soldering the connections on it (on surface mount components), as I had a similar problem with mine (PWY13S06) and the problem was fixed by re-soldering or re-fluxing those components. I would go ahead and check soldering in the whole unit to prevent future failures.

Other than that, the charger is wonderful and very fast.

Oh, for the one that asked many times if to connect the charger or the battery first, always connect the charger first. Connecting the battery first will offer an extra surge load to the charger when connected to power and on the other hand, you would be connecting an temporarily unstable source to the battery, even if it is for those first microseconds.

Cheers

zilog357 said:
Oh, for the one that asked many times if to connect the charger or the battery first, always connect the charger first. Connecting the battery first will offer an extra surge load to the charger when connected to power and on the other hand, you would be connecting an temporarily unstable source to the battery, even if it is for those first microseconds.
Cheers

Since I am not good at soldering and refluxing any boards, I want to thank you BIG TIME for this info. I will fortunately continue using this method of CONNECTING THE CHARGER FIRST, and thus by increasing my chances of having the charger last hopefully the lifetime of my LifePo4 battery.... :)

Thanks again, IAN :)

I came back to this topic 3 and a half years after my first post on it, and after some progress on electrical engineering, I decided to pay more attention to the charger's circuit. I figured out that the input rectifier can be transformed into a voltage doubler, and so fix my problem about the unavailable 220V outlets. I made a tutorial about that:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91132

Enviado de meu Redmi 3S usando Tapatalk

I've had the same charger for 2 years or so now, it was used when I got it and I didn't have high hopes for it's longevity, but it's held up just fine.

I've always plugged in the AC power first, then the battery connector. Reverse to disconnect.

I can safely say this method works fine after several hundred charges.

Mines wired for 120V, I'll have a look inside it and compare to your pics when I get a chance to see if it's just a different tap on the transformer vs 240V

Back