Generic A123/LiFePO4 charger/BMS

Patrick

100 W
There are many threads about charging and balancing lithium chemistries; everybody wants one. So this is a question to DoctorBass, and anybody else with the experience. Couldn't you use the MegaPower 960 for this? Here's a pointer for one with balancer:

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6301

Seems like this will charge and balance up to 12s, albeit at a 180W/10A limit - about 5 amps if you use all 12 channels. Not a bad deal at $17 per channel (yes, you do have to have a 12 VDC supply). A little more expensive than individual power supplies; is it cheaper than individual chargers in that power rating? I haven't looked in the RC world - maybe some of the members here could chime in.

I know that PJD is looking for a BMS for a 16 cell LFP pack. Two of these would be just about perfect - 7 amps/cell, which is ideal (for his cells), and all the data you could want.

What do you think?

DoctorBass was reviewing those a while ago. As I recall they end up being several hundred dollars before you are done with all the addon's and such.

Not bad... but not to the level of "cheapness" that most people here are striving for. :lol:

Wow, what a dickhead.

I specifically asked for input from those with experience, and this complete ASSHOLE chimes in that he has no experience, but thinks members of the board are too "cheap" to pursue such a solution. Time for a rant.

This idiot thinks it's a good idea to:

Charge while having to actively monitor battery voltages. This has been the subject of several of his threads. Apparently he has loads of time, and no money.

The rotating switch idea instead of a controller. That was a winner. "Cause you know, controllers have losses. PhD for sure.

And the "rotating pulse charger". What a crappy idea! It's the same as the rotating controller, but on the ass end. Loser.

Quote himself.

You think he "retired"? Bullshit - he moved from the Bay Area to Missouri, or someplace - that's not retiring, probably the result of a court order, it's licking your wounds. I wouldn't want to be a young kid in THAT neighborhood.

======================================================================================

The admins won't do anything about this crap pollution of a good board. I can see their dilemma - they don't want to be in the censorship business.

====================================================================================== End of rant

Dr. B - what do you think?

Thanks.

Well, I definitely came from the RC side, so I'm probably as qualified as anybody to address this. The MP960 is a decent charger, but there are others, like the Hyperion EOS0610I DUO, which has similar features, but is a full 360W so you could actually do 10A with a 12-cell pack. You do need, however, a 12V supply to drive this, so you are looking at $300+. It is cheaper to use a standard bulk charger, and add balancers, like the Hyperion LBA10, the TP-210V and/or the AstroFlight "Blinky".

-- Gary

Sad to say these kind of balancers dont work well on BIG packs, though fine on small (less than 8 AH )packs. I've tried the infinity 960 and balancer, and the tp210v too. Balanace rate far to slow ..

barabranch said:
male conflict is so corney. save for the woman
I'm a third generation Californian who now feels happy to be out of that increasing nightmare. (it was paradise there about 50 years ago) Patrick (sadly) carries the arrogant attitude that I know so well. If you live in California it sinks into your brain... even if he wasn't born there it takes over you.

Next thing he'll be saying we should all vote for Obama because that's what the "smart" people think. :roll:

Child molestor... oh geez... :roll:

EMF said:
(safe) is killing these forums.
If you notice I was reasonably polite with Patrick in spite of a rather excessive rant. We can disagree on ideas, but there's no reason to go on personal attacks like that. I simply had informed Patrick (which is a fact) that we had already discussed this product before. He HONESTLY did not know we had already gone over it and his reaction was to go on a tirade.

:arrow: How am I wrong in that?

I just caught him up to speed on what had already been written.

(I suppose I should have done the search and found the link)

My posting was like being a librarian informing him of some previously stored data.

Update: Here's that old thread from Feb 17, 2008...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3410&hilit=MegaPower

Patrick and EMF
Just a suggestion: If you go to your User Control Panel and open up the Friends & Foes pane you can select not to see postings by individual members. If only I could extend it to the rest of my life... :)

I tried that and his posts do disappear. Unfortunately, you still have to wade through all the posts of people responding to his posts, basically trying to point out he is wrong about something, and to please stay out of the topic, but he just keeps on posting. In addition, all his cornball threads he starts still show up shoving the valid and informative members postings off the main page. He posts so often his thoughts are always on the top and others are not.

The other problem is, he keeps posting an enormous amount of nonsense and nothing ever comes of it as they are all "theories" like placing your batteries in ice water when you charge them etc etc. Everyone tries to tell him something and he never listens, twists the argument, then 5 pages later he drops the idea and posts two more inane topics.

When he isn't doing that, he is hijacking everone elses threads with crazy ideas ansd political observations. Driving everyone nuts.

HE IS SERIOUSLY DIILUTING THE UESEFULNESS OF THESE FORUMS AND IT NEEEDS TO STOP>.

I asked one other time to create a sandbox for safe to play in, caled a "Theories" forum so it would be easy for him to ramble on endlessly there and anyone could simply stay out if they didn't want to read his crap. Atr least this would stop him from diluting the other subforums with his schemes.

safe said:
EMF said:
(safe) is killing these forums.
If you notice I was reasonably polite with Patrick in spite of a rather excessive rant. We can disagree on ideas, but there's no reason to go on personal attacks like that. I simply had informed Patrick (which is a fact) that we had already discussed this product before. He HONESTLY did not know we had already gone over it and his reaction was to go on a tirade.

:arrow: How am I wrong in that?

I just caught him up to speed on what had already been written.

(I suppose I should have done the search and found the link)

My posting was like being a librarian informing him of some previously stored data.

Update: Here's that old thread from Feb 17, 2008...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3410&hilit=MegaPower

safe said:
I'm a third generation Californian who now feels happy to be out of that increasing nightmare. (it was paradise there about 50 years ago) Patrick (sadly) carries the arrogant attitude that I know so well. If you live in California it sinks into your brain... even if he wasn't born there it takes over you.

Next thing he'll be saying we should all vote for Obama because that's what the "smart" people think. :roll:

Child molestor... oh geez... :roll:

But not you of course, because you are smarter than the average bear! That's reasonably polite?

Dude- you need help..from a professional. There is something very wrong with you. In the meantime, why not get a new hobby?

Uh, Patrick's rant was way out of line. He even implied safe was a pedophile! To Patrick and EMF, all I can suggest is: Grow up. There are people that have different opinions than yours and that's a fact you have to accept. Safe, like most retired people, does indeed have more time than money. That shouldn't offend you.

Many, many people have had a belly full of this guy as you can tell by their exasperated posts to him - even one of the admins publicly but rather politely asked him to shut up, but of course it did not work.
A lot of folks have "ranted" at Safe, because there doesn't seem to be any other way to shut him up. If you want to defend him go ahead, but you are just aggravating the problem.

At some point, it has to be realised that it isn't everyone else that is the problem, it's Safe.

EMF said:
why not get a new hobby?
This IS my hobby...

The irony is that I get about equal hostile negative and supportive positive on this forum.

Look, Patrick is in the Bay Area and I know opinions there of people "outside". The problem is that California has suffered really badly recently because of the housing bust and everyone there just seems to be very angry all the time. (stressed out)

I was one of the smarter/luckier guys to have sold at near the peak. (I owned a home in Walnut Creek in the Bay Area) I just see Patrick as innocently reflecting the worldview of people there now and I do have sympathy for it... because I'm from there. They are dealing with a very stressful time. :cry:

It will be interesting to "sense the mood" when I visit family this summer. I haven't been back there since 2006 so it will be interesting to chart the progress of things there.

This particular thread never should have been created (ideally) because it's a repeat thread of another. The charger was already covered before in reasonable detail.

I'm almost defending Patrick... he doesn't have the time to wade through all these posts because he has a "real job" and real stress to deal with. Most of us are relaxed, pursuing our hobbies and trying to have a good time.

Gees... ! :shock: Please guys... let's return to the original thread: Generic A123/LiFePO4 charger/BMS

I already had enough to hear about this luc59457 offensing comments this week! :roll:

To ansert you Patrick, the megapower and the balancer are a great devices, but i have to admit that i mostly use them to test cells for matching futureS battery packS.

For that THEY ARE THE BEST AND CHEAPER WAY YOU CAN FIND :wink: :!:

Their accuracy and detailed display and pc connection link make it perfect for that.

NO one can compete with it for 179$

The problem is that it charge max to 180W that is around 5A at 36V wich take 30min per 10 A123 cells. (75Wh) = or 5km at 30kmh without pedaling

The cell discharge features are great too for the capacity and RI test.

The megapower balancer only balance to 70mA!!.. and i most;y use it to monitor each serie cell at the same time.
the TP210 is like 1A balancer....the LBA10 from hyperion is 250mA balancing

But by my side, the best, safe and cheapest would be tu buy single 1p Xs cell charger like i do with my dc-dc or like many did with the voltfreak 2A charger.. the only worst is that they only give 2A...

For me the best will be my 15A 12s multi charger unit that will be able to swicht from 3.600V or 4.200V to charge ANY Li-Ion cell! :twisted:

Back