Giant NRS/Mac hub/48v Headway now A123 build

I have almost finished the bike now, no chain and derailer yet.
I put the vinyl sticker on the batt cover and went for the first test ride with the motor/controller connected correctly.
I love it, pulls away really well, has a good top speed and super quiet. The weight and balance of the bike feel great and the suspension is so nice compared to my hard tail cruiser.
I haven't got a speedo yet but will soon.
I'll have to go easy on it though, I saw 2080w/43amp peak, I only have nylon gears installed.
Some photos.

nrs49.jpg

nrs48.jpg

nrs50.jpg

nrs54.jpg

nrs53.jpg

nrs52.jpg

nrs51.jpg

Cheers,
Matt.P.

AWESOME job Matt... Your battery mounting is superb the red vinyl carbon fiber look
worked a treat i will be VERY surprised if more don't replicate this...(Kudos
also to Full Throttle i believe? for the original idea?.. )

Now..heheh to performance Matt.... Frock fan Bois...Matt ADMITTED to me
its not as fast as his non frock 1000watt Cylone motered cruiser...
unfortunately he is happy with this... :shock:

I am sad... But Matt will be up here during the week and experience a performance e-bike again...Recumpence...be prepared for another reduction drive order :mrgreen:

Well Done Matt...yet another outstanding display of your abilities my friend...

Yes...You have stumbled but i have full confidence you will "right yourself" and produce a non frock MTB that will be envied by all with a clue... :wink:

KiM

Looks good Matt. Have you got any details on the stick on CF stuff ? How durable do you reckon it'll be ?

Kim, if it was a direct drive I'd say Matt's frock will still be going while you're calling another mate to come pick up the cruiser next time something breaks, but sadly I dont reckon his nylons will hold up.

hehe, a frock with nylons, see what I did there ? :lol:

Hyena said:
Kim, if it was a direct drive I'd say Matt's frock will still be going while you're calling another mate to come pick up the cruiser next time something breaks, but sadly I dont reckon his nylons will hold up.

hehe, a frock with nylons, see what I did there ? :lol:

Like you know anything about performance e-bikes Jay... Your opinion is mute my friend... :mrgreen: :p :lol:

KiM

wow!

great job man! your bike turned out awesome :)

i love the carbon look :) and your battery layout is top notch :D

i picked up a roll of carbon fiber tape (got it from a car parts store) a while back and use it on brackets and stuff on my (motor bracket) bikes

and people always ask about it. to bad it's just tape i'm using but, it rocks!

well done 1000w!!

colby

Good Job Matt,

It's turned out really well, top job :D I'm running about the same power as you through my motor, actually running virtually identical setups with similar current limit. Will be interesting to see how you get on, but I reckon it's the shocks that kill the gears more than anything. I use mine on the road and they hold up fine. It's not as fast as it was running dual motors and almost 5KW, but it wouldn't be. As soon as I have the new gears I'll let you know.

Hyena said:
Looks good Matt. Have you got any details on the stick on CF stuff ? How durable do you reckon it'll be ?

Its available pretty cheap off ebay Hyena (where Matt got it) Its pretty much like your normal contact adhesive.
I would like to try spraying glear gloss over it see how it sticks, this might make it more durable...or frock it
up completely hahaa... Repco also sellz it i Believe if you have a store handy mate? Its available in
a few more colours too, the blue looks cool, but i'm a lil biased haha...don't think there is a pink mate so you may be disappointed :lol: :p :mrgreen:

KiM

haha pink CF 4TL!
I guess for the best durability you could actually stick it to the inside of the perspex, although it'd be a little harder to apply and may look funny - or it might look cool! I sprayed the glass doors of a cabinet black on the inside and it came up looking sweet.

Hyena said:
haha pink CF 4TL!
I guess for the best durability you could actually stick it to the inside of the perspex

I dont think the CF pattern is on the sticky side of the vinyl buddy so you would only
end up with the plane colour i think?

Just get a tin of fluro hot pink and paint the inside of the plexi it will be the shizz for your ride in the
Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gra this year HiGHSiDE :mrgreen: :p

KiM

AussieJester said:
I dont think the CF pattern is on the sticky side of the vinyl buddy so you would only
Urrggh, of course, never mind I was having a blonde moment!

Just get a tin of fluro hot pink and paint the inside of the plexi it will be the shizz for your ride in the
yeah I could afford to paint the whole bike in what I'll save by not needing a seat :lol:

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
Urrggh, of course, never mind I was having a blonde moment!

yeah I could afford to paint the whole bike in what I'll save by not needing a seat :lol:

I think the only way to improve the durability would be a coating, but then, i guess
the vinyl adhesive will still be the limiting factor to how well it will stick?
Matts go the vynil on his e-crusier also and it still looks fantastic and thats
getting on now in age...Have to also consider the price, its relatively cheap and
easy to reapply if it ever does get damaged or tattered from age Hyena.

Hyena said:

I'm guessing you picked up a nice "seat" from the sex shop when you bought the 'penis water pistole' you posted to me HiGHSiDE...big 10in dong im' guessing hehe (Hyena dong, hyena frock, dildo hyena<--for the google bots)

KiM

Oi, don't feed the bots! :lol:

I might grab a sheet and see how I go. It'll be for my blue commute so I'll try the dark blue stuff. It's more of an electric /cobalt blue (similar colour to your cruiser) but meh, it'll do.

I got my mac controller in today, made to cell_man's spec by the factory but I've decided I'm going to sell the whole lot as a kit now, I've got too many other projects. Get in quick if you want a spare Matt :p

Me and a mate just got back from a 29km night ride, he on my cruiser and me on the NRS. He used 9Ah on the cruiser and the NRS/Mac used 8.9Ah.
The Mac with a 24" rim and a 2.5" hookworm does 48kmh on the flat.
I'm really happy with the Mac/infineon setup and Cell Man cells are brilliant.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Thanks Matt, glad it's all worked out well :)

I manage about 51 or 52kph with my setup in a 26" rim, with approximately 50V under load. So 48kph with a 24" rim sounds about right. What sort of power does it take to maintain top speed? Mine drops down to 1300W, give or take at full speed. I get high 20s, maybe 29Whrs/km when using it like a scooter, no pedalling, lots of stop/start.

What have you set your current limit to in the end? I've been using about 45A but it's a bit much for the controller (25A 12Fet with a soldered shunt) and I reckon I might be just heating the motor more than anything, with little extra performance. 30 to 35A is probably about right IMO.

Cheers
Paul

PS. sorry about dropping the price on the Mac since you purchased yours. I'll try and make it up to you if you need something else in the future.

Edit: sorry Matt, just re read your post, roughly 9Ah, roughly 50V nominal, for a 29km ride works out to roughly 15whrs/km if I got my sums right. That pretty good, must have been a fairly leisurely ride. My throttle is more like a switch most of the time :)

cell_man said:
What have you set your current limit to in the end?
I have it set at 30A and find this is plenty.
cell_man said:
PS. sorry about dropping the price on the Mac since you purchased yours. I'll try and make it up to you if you need something else in the future.
No probs Paul, you have been more than helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
1000w said:
Edit: sorry Matt, just re read your post, roughly 9Ah, roughly 50V nominal, for a 29km ride works out to roughly 15whrs/km if I got my sums right. That pretty good, must have been a fairly leisurely ride. My throttle is more like a switch most of the time
It was a very flat ride around a river at 30 to 35kmh.
I took 12ah out of the battery on another ride yesterday and it only sagged to 48volts under a 40amp peak load with only 3ah left in them. The cells are staying well balanced and proving to be rock solid
thanks Paul.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Very Nice bike, I just saw it on Aussie's thread, looks like it works well. Do you have the steel gear installed? How is it working so far?

Whiplash said:
Very Nice bike, I just saw it on Aussie's thread, looks like it works well. Do you have the steel gear installed? How is it working so far?
I have just installed a steel gear and two new nylons, as the original nylons now have no teeth.
I was fully expecting the nylons gears to fail at some stage. The performance was too good, I have been doing wheelies, seeing 2300W peaks, and generally going hard on the bike.
The steel gear set up is a little noisier but not too bad. This is a temporary install until Cellman receives composite gears from Mac.
Cheers,
Matt.P.
Machubgears1.jpg

Machubgears2.jpg

Daaaaaamn, that's a properly minced set of gears! :shock:

1000w said:
I have been doing wheelies, seeing 2300W peaks
Yeah, that might have something to do with it! Even with composite gears I wouldn't be too hard on it.

I'm going to make some popcorn and wait for Kim's reply :lol:

Did you install the steel gear from Cell Man or the hardened one from Lyen? I have seen the un hardened steel gear that Cell Man carries grind down very quickly under the power you and I will soon be running. I hope this works! If not, you can get the BMC gears, they are MUCH stronger than the original plastic gears. You can get them from Ilia here on the board.

I'm running the unhardened steel gear, I'll take your advice and go easy on it.
Thanks, I have been in touch with ilia and may buy a clutch and gear assembly from him.
1000w said:
I'm going to make some popcorn and wait for Kim's reply :lol:
I can't wait, and I am very suprised he hasn't burst in sooner. Come on toy motor man, where are you?????????
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Just keep an eye on the steel gear Matt, but you'll be ok for a bit. I ran mine in a dual motor setup for months at high power with no noticeable wear, but they were high RPM motors and it was dual motors so not the same situation. I spoke with Mac today and they reckon there should be some new gears ready to test soon (maybe 2 weeks) and there are some other mods that are underway as well. As soon as I have something I'll give you a shout.

I heard some time back that Mac were going to be case hardening the steel gears, but I'm not a big fan of the steel gear TBH (too noisy for my liking) and haven't bothered to follow up on this. If there is an interest in the hardened steel gears I can chase some up, they're not expensive.

2300W peak, i thought you was only running 30A :lol: I've run that sort of power and it's been ok, but I'd say you need some mechanical sympathy if they are gonna last, so not too many wheelies :)

Of course you are welcome to go ahead and get a BMC clutch and gears, but I'd appreciate it if you could try the new gears and a new clutch when I can get hold of 1 for you to see how it stands up and compares.

would motor heat cause the hardenening of plastic,then destruction? wow great gear pics.that is true blast technology.haha :shock:

cell_man said:
2300W peak, i thought you was only running 30A
Not sure why I am getting 2300W/45A peaks, because I set the main current to 30A and phase current to 75A.
I need to do some more testing with the infineon settings, it may be the block time which lets it over current for however many seconds you program, which I can't remember what I set to.
Thanks for following up with Mac Paul.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

beast775 said:
would motor heat cause the hardenening of plastic,then destruction? wow great gear pics.that is true blast technology.haha :shock:
I don't think this happened as the motor never got hot, barely warm. Thanks for the input though.
AussieJester said:
Soz to hear you minced the gears Matt..

All he best Matt..i'm sure you will get it sorted soon buddy

KiM
How are you mate? Come on, is that all you've got. Not even the word "frock" in your post?
Cheers,
Matt.P.

Back