Giant Reign 6" travel bike

litespeed

100 kW
For my second build I was going to use a GT Force bike I bought but I had a few failures with the components so I shipped that bike back. I bought this bike second hand and overall a way better bike. Starting weight is 31 lbs which isn't bad for a long travel bike or at least what I keep telling myself. The other big thing I needed was just that a BIG bike. Being 6' 4" an extra large was a necessity. The Giants seem to run the largest on all bike I was able to try and XL downhill bikes are extremely rare. For now I'm butting my BMC V2 S on 18s3p lipo so it should get around quite fine but in the future I'll go to a Clyte direct drive or mid mount when funds permit because I want to turn this into a dirt bike with some road thrown in for good measure.

My BMC was sent back to Ilia to have a Psycho 26" DH rim installed and a 9 speed cluster to retain all the bikes stock components. I started building the wooden battery box which houses 18s3p and the wiring. At this point it will have wood sides but after the kinks are worked out I'll either fab up a all metal one or use the wood frame and install aluminum side covers. I have a bunch of scrap 1/8 sheet aluminum from a past project. The box made fits perfectly snug in the frame and I've rode it for a few miles to see how it rides. All good even without clamps. I'll use 2 screws in the bottom of the box into the bottle holder and a rubber coated metal strap around the seat post and possible a second around the top bar. At this point I'll mount the controller below the rear rack and see how that works. Only problem I had so far was I had to sand out indents into the back of the box for the upper suspension pivot/link. It was hitting the box at about 4 1/2" of travel. I now have it where I get about 5 1/2" of travel. Might have to re-engineer that area. Box finished out at 4 3/4" wide and comes nowhere close to my legs. I assume I could add another 1/2" easily if needed. Looks like I have about 6 inches between the cranks.

I'll have the wheel back this Wed so I should be able to finalize all the locations and hopefully have it ready to go by next weekend. The BMC V2 S had plenty of get up and go in a 700c rim where it was and I could even get it to wheelie. On my 700C it had a top speed of 34 mph with no peddling. That was with a 20 amp max via the cycle annalist. Going to the 26" rim I should gain some more torque and loose a bit of my top speed. Hopefully not much.

See the pictures.

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF4833.JPG
    DSCF4833.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,175
  • DSCF4834.JPG
    DSCF4834.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,175
Hey Tom,
Nice build. Your frame is simular to my Giant Talon except yours has the rear shock(Talons a hardtail). Good luck with the build. Should be nice to ride with all that travel :D

That's what I'm hoping for. My last bike was a hard tail and even with a long travel seat post ( http://www.jensonusa.com/Seatposts/Cane-Creek-3G-Thudbuster-LT-Seatpost ) still wasn't enough to keep me from getting beat to death off road. This should be a dream by comparison.

Tom

Well my BMC showed back up with a Psycho DH rim and black spokes complements of ebikessf.com 's Ilia. I also added the 9 speed free wheel and for this bike I'm doing a twist throttle. I never really liked the thumb throttle. Has anyone ever cut a locking grip in half? I have an awesome set and I want to use them with the twist grip. I'll cut it find out no matter what but tips help. Hope to be cruising by the end of the weekend.

Pics

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF4837.JPG
    DSCF4837.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • DSCF4838.JPG
    DSCF4838.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,000
Got a bit done on the bike. Wheel installed, adjusted the disk brake and derailleur working perfect. Got the box mounted. I already have new ideas for the battery box but that will have to be in a future "V2" thread.

Tom

Attachments

• DSCF4839.JPG
    DSCF4839.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 984
  • DSCF4840.JPG
    DSCF4840.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 984
Back