• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

CEGB said:
Guys, I apologise if this has been posted and asked before, but I'm surfing on an iPhone, which makes searching a bit if a laborious task, not to mention a lengthy one given the signal strength out her in the wilderness of Essex, where I'm currently located.

After a mere 30 miles, the freewheel in the centre of my GNG cranks has given up and decided that it's better off exploring the afterlife. It notified me of its decision by trying to launch me off of the bike at 30 mph when the freewheel locked up.

Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement?

Obviously UK suppliers are preffered, but international sellers are useful too if no UK seller comes to light.

Any 16T freewheel should work.

LightningRods said:
litespeed said:
looks killer!
Tom

Thanks Tom!

ladytoast said:
I would love to get my hands on one of those belt kits to replace the primary chain drive. Are you going to be selling those parts individually?
Also you were talking about an enclosure for the belt, any progress on that (I know, it never ends right!)

Dylan

Hi Dylan- Yes I'll sell any part or any combination of parts that people want. If I think one part needs another I'll tell you, but you can still have that one part if that's all you want. I do have plans for an enclosure for the primary side as well as guard(s) for the secondary side sprockets. It will never end- there will always be something to add or to do better. I just got the jackshafts coming out of Steve's shop looking the way that I want them. Motor spindles are next. I have 100 motors coming with the wrong kind of spindle in them so I need to get that whole process worked out. I have four big blocks in the shop right now with the helical gear spindle that customers are waiting on. Once those are done I'll be on to the primary drive cover. Thanks for the referrals. Selling parts and kits is going to be what keeps the lights on.

That are great news!! It would be fantastic if you made a list of pieces you are offering with prices so people can see what option they have to upgrade their kits :wink:
Keep it up!!

skyungjae said:
CEGB said:
Guys, I apologise if this has been posted and asked before, but I'm surfing on an iPhone, which makes searching a bit if a laborious task, not to mention a lengthy one given the signal strength out her in the wilderness of Essex, where I'm currently located.

After a mere 30 miles, the freewheel in the centre of my GNG cranks has given up and decided that it's better off exploring the afterlife. It notified me of its decision by trying to launch me off of the bike at 30 mph when the freewheel locked up.

Any suggestions on where I can get a replacement?

Obviously UK suppliers are preffered, but international sellers are useful too if no UK seller comes to light.

Any 16T freewheel should work.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere on here that the GNG uses a different thread (metric?) to normal free wheels. Can't find it now though...

Hi CEGB,
My freewheel failed in the first month of use, don't try to change it your self, I just brought the part to my local bike shop. The bike mechanic took a really large prybar, a special removal tool, 20 minutes of extreme effort and sweat at his workbench. And it only cost me $22

pollux said:
Hi CEGB,
My freewheel failed in the first month of use, don't try to change it your self, I just brought the part to my local bike shop. The bike mechanic took a really large prybar, a special removal tool, 20 minutes of extreme effort and sweat at his workbench. And it only cost me $22

Thanks, but it's already out. Reasonably simple job to do, but I'm struggling with the question of getting a replacement that will last a while, and with this metric thread pitch question...

CEGB said:
pollux said:
Hi CEGB,

Thanks, but it's already out. Reasonably simple job to do, but I'm struggling with the question of getting a replacement that will last a while, and with this metric thread pitch question...

I used a standard freewheel removal tool, vice, and a breaker bar. :wink:

I think the threads on the GNG crank arm don't match up with ANY freewheel. Not even the one provided by GNG.

I think a White Industries ENO should be able to hold up for a long time with help of that support bearing in the GNG chainring set. It only has one row of bearings, so its been advised not to overrun it similar in our GNG application.

I've been using a flanged White ENO on my set up with about 1000+ miles on it with no support bearing. I think the only reason why my freewheel hasn't imploded yet is due to my constant fake pedaling. :lol:

Thanks for the tips.

I've been given a Halo Clickster 16 tooth freewheel. Looks like its pretty tough, so I'll give it a try. Anyone tried one?

I don't understand why the freewheel would fail at all. It is only working when you peddle, right? The motor turns the sprocket directly and in turn the chain to the wheel. What am I missing?

Joe T. said:
I don't understand why the freewheel would fail at all. It is only working when you peddle, right? The motor turns the sprocket directly and in turn the chain to the wheel. What am I missing?

He's talking about the freewheel that the crank arm threads into, not the freewheel at the end of the jackshaft.

skyungjae said:
Joe T. said:

He's talking about the freewheel that the crank arm threads into, not the freewheel at the end of the jackshaft.

I was thinking of the crank freewheel as well. What stress, other than human power, is it seeing?

Joe T. said:
skyungjae said:
Joe T. said:

I was thinking of the crank freewheel as well. What stress, other than human power, is it seeing?

The bearings are being overrun by the speed and torque of the motor spinning the outer chainring. It's not the stress on the pawls from pedaling that cause the failure, it's the excessive play and loose bearings inside those cheap Chinese freewheels. There are typically two results, the freewheel stops working and spins freely when you pedal or it seizes.

Likewise, I've just finished my commuter build. I went straight for mikes adjustable plates, and had them powder coated to match the rest of the bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2,126
Geebee said:
If one of these kits was used gently on road and never at full throttle would they be close to 100% reliable?
Are they much quieter at half throttle?

Short answer, yes. I had mostly a stock 1st gen GNG kit and went approximately 700 miles before my belt failed. The chainring and bottom bracket should be fine so long as you're not jumping down stairs. :wink:

donny67ss said:
Wow CEGB that bike is awesome I love that blue!

Donny

Thanks, its colour code RAL5002, chosen utterly at random from a bewildering array of colours I was offered at the powdercoater. Its turned out quite nicely. I have a couple of reliability issues to sort, but it made mincemeat out of my 30 mile trip to work and back the other day. Only upgrades I now have in mind are better brake pads. All that weight and additional speed means lots of stopping power is required. Even a six pot caliper on an 8 inch disc was having a tough time!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2,117
Winter won't end where I live. We just got hit with another 25cm of snow tonight.

This is how I'm dealing with it :twisted: Just finished installing some of LightningRods upgrades, a new Lyen controller, 24s here I come :twisted: And of course the snotrak kit. Gonna have to wait till the morning to go try it out.

Wishes

snow-kona.jpg

2020freerider said:
Wishes, that is one sweet machine. Please post some video for us all to enjoy at ES when you head out for a ride!

Cheers,

Thanks. I went for my first ride this morning! What a rush! what an experience! Doesn't feel anything like riding a bike. Its the ski in front that changes the whole feel. I was worried that it would try to slip out to the left or right from under me. Not at all, wasn't the front ski slipping out. And turning felt different, but felt like it was in control. However, our streets have been plowed, so there is a good layer of packed snow on them. Packed snow is not the most stable surface for it. If I hit the throttle a little too hard and spin the rear track, the back tries to slip out from under you to the left or right. It has much better traction on a small layer of loose snow.

But its hard on the amps. I won't be breaking any distance records with this setup lol.... but then again that is not what it was intended for.

I'll try and get a video done sometime today and post it.

Wishes

Lots of exciting things going on here! I love seeing what people do with my parts. I want a blue powder coated snow bike for myself!

I've thrown up my price list on my web site, http://www.lightningrodev.com/ so that people have a reference guide. I'll try to be good about updating the web site. I did web design for 12 years and I'd rather be making bike parts! :lol: The link to my web site is always on my signature at the bottom of my posts in case you can't find this later.

The freewheel issue with the GNG BB is a major P.I.T.A. The thread on all of the GNG freewheel parts, BB crank arm and jackshaft hub, is 35mm-1.0mm. Similar to 'English' 1.375"-24 tpi but just enough off that you get about two threads in and it binds up. You can force a 1.37" freewheel on, once usually, and then the threads are trashed.

I have not yet found a 4 bolt 35mm thread freewheel that wasn't rubbish. They have a ton of runout, they're weak, and they wear out in no time in our application. If you buy a 16 tooth 1.37 freewheel like an ACS or W-I, it will fit the freewheel housing but won't thread onto the crank arm. The GNG crank arms are also a square taper bore so proper trials crank arms with 1.37" threads won't fit. Like most of the GNG parts, the BB is junk that is not upgradable with quality parts. Scrap the GNG BB and get a Cyclone ISIS BB. I have them for $175.

Can't wait to see Wishes video on his snowmonster. :twisted:

Hi Mike

Love the upgrades / stuff your coming up with.

Would like to see you possibly going into a direct to rear wheel from jack shaft (AKA crossbreak) setup also. This would eliminate many of the problems with the free wheeling crank setups and find much more customers / adaptability possibly. Would eliminate the need for adjustments in the lower mounting plates also.

I thought that the people on this thread would like to know that forum member "Wishes" has been running my 25mm GT belt drive at 4kW without slipping. That's the effective power limit of the GNG motor.

It looks like the discussion about my upgrades has moved to a thread that Spinningmagnets created: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57720&p=866318#p866318

Back