GNG Drive Gen2

liveforphysics said:
boostjuice said:
I've no doubt delrin/composite/nylon gears would work much quieter, even in straight cut profile.

Helical cut done right is virtually silent, even in hardened steel gears.

I can attest to that. Very quiet. I went down that road adapting a dual stage bevel/helical gearunit to one of the larger gearboxless cyclone motors. However I came to realise that for a combined weight of 11kg I would rather spend that weight penalty on a higher-power chain reduced Axial flux pancake motor, even at the expense of variable gearing.

20 (Medium).jpg
beval-helical-bonfig-internals.JPG

Yeah its too bad nobody makes a nice lightweight version of that gearbox! Something that could handle say 3000 watts with an RC style motor with internal halls! That would be killer!

Ahh !..well the "old" Aprilia "Enjoy" Ebike motor gearbox is almost exactly like that in configutation but with a freewheel ( one way bearing) between the motor and the gears. All Mag casting and quality gearsets.
mine has survived 1500w for coming up to 3 years now.
The original motor is a Brushed design, but that could be swapped out if you were keen.

Whiplash said:
Yeah its too bad nobody makes a nice lightweight version of that gearbox! Something that could handle say 3000 watts with an RC style motor with internal halls! That would be killer!

I would love to have found some feedback on this lightweight 2-stage Tonaro gearbox mated to an Astro 3220 [seen on ES years ago]. If the BB spindle was used as a jackshaft rather than the intended crank spindle then it would allow for a further reduction stage possibly offsetting the high ~7krpm of the 3.5Kw Astro versus the ~2.5krpm of the standard 200W Tonaro. This sort of thing would make a great power/weight package if it was robust enough.

5747.png

5748.png

caijunze said:
"Gng site says only 350 w model available.."

Actually yes ,only 350watt available now ,
DUE to lots of customer need 48 volt so i asked the salesman and they said that actually you can use the GEN 1 controller 48v 22 amps also no problem.
48volt will coming soon , they now out of stock for 48 volt controller ^^"
so thats why GNG Mr Chan said only 350w available ... :D

But for me i want to use other controller that higher than the factory gave it to us in order to make new experiments

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

Answers to PM? thanks

I don't think this motor would look too bad mounted on the boom of a tadpole trike, what do you all think?

At last GNG site got a new product ... GNG Gen 2 Brushless motor ...
Welll Done !~
Here is the site :

http://www.gngebike.com/36v350w-48v400w-gen2

I've been clicking every new additional thread concerning the GNG kit but never giving any input. I'm not really mechanically/electrically inclined so I let the experienced members input and contribute to the progression and sit back and try to absorb and learn as much as I can. Well, I'm coming out of my little perch now after looking at the newest version and I like what I see with exception to the mount as it looks flimsy.

I love the changes to the chain sprocket. Looks easy peasy to replace when worn down. Also looks easy to upgrade to a different tooth count for the type of ride you want. 36V and 48V versions are all relative and probably can be over volted for additional performance increase. Though you'd probably sacrifice pedal cadence in doing so. Could be fixed by changing your front chain ring and/or crank arms. Oh dear, I might take the bait :!:

edit: I'd really like to hear it running. For some reason my ego want's the awesome power of quietude.

Very interesting. I will email them to see if I can order just the motor drive as all the other components are the same as the gen1. I like how this thing looks. However from the pictures they chosed to go with a 73mm bb ?

bzhwindtalker said:
Very interesting. I will email them to see if I can order just the motor drive as all the other components are the same as the gen1. I like how this thing looks. However from the pictures they chosed to go with a 73mm bb ?
That measurement is outside the two BB plates. If you take off 4mm for the total thickness of the two plates, it's 68mm.

Seems really good, a friend tested it for a while there..
if interested check the topic on item for sale in forum

Mine arrived today. i ordered it on 24th Nov in the evening, so that's 4 1/2 days from ordering. I should be able to report on its performance shortly.

d8veh said:
Mine arrived today. i ordered it on 24th Nov in the evening, so that's 4 1/2 days from ordering. I should be able to report on its performance shortly.

Nice! I'd like to this one on your Giant NRS with front BPM, should be a killer :D

d8veh said:

pics or ban! :lol:

parajared said:
I want to know if you can pop the side cover off and swap the interplanetary gears out like the MAC and BMC, or are you screwed and just have to throw the motor away like with ebikekit.com.
Unfortunately all installed now. I put it in an old junker just for now to see how it goes before I decide whether I want to put it in a decent bike.

Finished2.jpg

I haven't been far enough for a full evaluation. I would say that it's not as powerful as the previous one. I'm running at 36v and seeing about 750w from the battery, which gives about the same performance asthe 250w Bafang that I had as a crank-drive on this bike before. I might try a more poweful controller later, but I got too many projects on at the moment so might not have time. It's noisier than an equivalent hub-motor and noisier than the previous GNG drive. The noise is coming from the gearbox or internal bearings; however, it does seem to be quieting down with miles - even though I haven't been far, so might be alright in the future.

Installation was very straight-forward, but they messed up with the motor to controller connectors with male on each side, so I had to do a bit of soldering, and there was a little damage to one of the BB holes, which didn't allowthe BB thread to pass through, so I had to do a bit of filing. The whole installation took less than an hour even though I kept losing my tools.

Gearing is too low with 14T on the back. I need to change to 11T.

I'm really starting to like it. My concern right now is how weatherproof is the motor and the motor wiring :?: If the street were a hurricane, the motor position would be Florida. :|

melodious said:
I'm really starting to like it. My concern right now is how weatherproof is the motor and the motor wiring :?: If the street were a hurricane, the motor position would be Florida. :|

Maybe you could move it upwards into the triangle?

A hub motor is just as vulnerable.

It's difficult to determine the cadence because the gearing on this bike is too low. I would say that it's cadence is less than the old GNG -maybe about 100. I'll try and measure it tomorrow. Don't forget, this is at 36v.
I had another quick go this evening after fully charging the batery and it seemed to have a kot more power. I couldn't see what was on the meter because it was too dark. Ny friend had a go on it and i watched him come up our test hill without pedalling about as fast as my BPM. Again, I should have a bit more info tomorrow.

crossbreak said:
d8veh said:
Gearing is too low with 14T on the back. I need to change to 11T.

Thanks for your info!
Do you still see the 750Watts@cadence of about 80 (=pedaling like normal) or is it less?
No, more like 60. After that, the watts from the battery go down to about 500win top gear (14T) with a speed of about 20mph.

I tried it again today for a short ride and it't maximum power from the battery is 750w. It can climb a 14% hill in 2nd gear (24T?) with me (100kg) on board at about 8mph. I don't have a speedometer to get accurate speeds and my watt-meter has a remote shunt mod, so may not be accurate, but should be within 10%.

d8veh said:
No, more like 60. After that, the watts from the battery go down to about 500win top gear (14T) with a speed of about 20mph.

Then you may swap the 9T sprocket for a 12T. Your chain will adore that ;) The would fit if used with 48V.

Back