GNG gen2 (roughly 2013) planetary gear repair

AlSpong

10 mW
I dunno if anyone still has one of these gng gen2's ..but i do and its still going - sort of.
Got a worn planetary gear, but when i popped it off i found that the post had been sleeved . Post diameter being 6mm & bearing ID 8mm.
My first thought was damn GnG too cheap to build bigger posts or put on smaller ID bearings.
However what i find is the sleeve has 2 pieces. First 3.5mm of the sleeve is steel and the second 3.5mm half is rubber. So the total width of the sleeve is 7mm or one could say the bearing width is 7mm just to be clear.
Does anyone know if there is a purpose to the rubber. The steel sleeves have deteriorated (and my offending gear has worn its seat on the bearing) . I would like to put a 6mm ID bearing on and simplify.....but i cant quite let go of the idea that this little rubber sleeve is adding some give that aids longevity
Any ideas?

Sorry you didn't get any help here, from what i know, those drives were not popular, might be hard to get info on them.

Sorry you didn't get any help here, from what i know, those drives were not popular, might be hard to get info on them.
Hmmmm , well at the time they were the first affordable, close to legal mid drive available. I wouldnt say unpopular , but much maligned as they needed work to make them reliable out of the box
Sprocket & cranks needed doing immediately and freewheel often fell apart too.
Lightening rods had upgraded mounting plates, although his energy was really going into the Gen 1.
My Gen 2 has done around 20,000kms, i had some health issues and really only got back on it last 2 years where ive done most of the mileage.
In that time i discovered chain wax which made a huge difference , upgraded the chain , overvolted to 48v and replaced the axel with a custom stronger replication.
Its been reliable. i think of upgrading but when i read the forums on whats available it seems mid drive kits still havent found that mark of reliabillity
Given i paid Au $440 for my kit including postage, plus another $200 in parts im doin ok in comparison.
But now its the nylon gears ! Found a close match but not perfect ...maybe get them printed..
UNLESS - DOES ANYONE HAVE A GNG GEN 2 KIT THEY DONT WANT SITTING IN THE SHED - PREFERABLY IN AUS ....I WOULD LOVE IT FOR PARTS

20,000km.. you got your moneys worth! still a shame that some small plastic gears are your only problem.

Good luck!

Back