GoldenMotor Magic Pie.

GoldenMotor said:
why don't you write me a full list of suggestions, with precise details and i will consider making it black anodized if people need it that bad.

That's it from me, just make it black.

EDIT: add picture

magicpiebike1.JPG

-R

Apparently, you failed to consider that most wrenches looking for a hub will likely start with Google. Plugging in "Magic Pie" yielded 62,600 hits, while Magic Pie without the quotes snagged an eye popping 4,740,000. I would've at least used name like "eip cigam", which yielded only 387 hits, and zero hits when tied together within quotes. Did someone mention "intelligent people"?

Papa said:
Apparently, you failed to consider that most wrenches looking for a hub will likely start with Google. Plugging in "Magic Pie" yielded 62,600 hits, while Magic Pie without the quotes snagged an eye popping 4,740,000. I would've at least used name like "eip cigam", which yielded only 387 hits, and zero hits when tied together within quotes. Did someone mention "intelligent people"?

Check google again in 1 years time.

GoldenMotor said:
Papa said:

Check google again in 1 years time.
With a name like, "eip cigam", you wouldn't need to sit on 500 hubs for a year, waiting on Google's spider.

I could spider something onto first page google hits within 3 weeks regardless of the name. SEO is my bitch.

he's right. in 1 year goldenmotor could very well overtake magic pie and they could easily get to #1 because of people here just linking to it. with goldenmotor's nature as a chinese company, they don't have great customer relations and service but when i looked at their products in arizona i noticed golden motor makes some great stuff. they are clearly bringing something new to the table. i think the magic pie is going to be a hit, personally.

I would LOVE if they crowd sourced their next motor. i'd just like to put in that i would love a motor that has a taper, instead of rounded edges or blocky edges. like when you look at it from the side, it would have the taper like an iphone or an ipod touch. so it would look a lot sleeker and a lot thinner than it actually is. and nobody makes phenomenally sleek motors, except for "nano" motors from the electric wheel, but those are super underpowered.

Golden Motor, again I ask, are you the US importer, the "boss"? I am curious.

You have, essentially the western customer base right here and they are willing to talk, its a business wet dream man, and your taking a tone. I am befuddled.

He is a son, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, that (remembering correctly) is rare.

I think he is defensive because there were some hard hits due to the customer relations problems that had developed. Even without those PR problems, "customers" can be pretty rough company.

Yeah, "Magic" works much better than "Magic Pie" in most of the English speaking world. Fortunately for them, most people will overlook a trying name if the product is good enough.

Looking forward to seeing the reviews.

According to the GM forums there will be an introductory price of $160 on the day of their release. I'm going to buy a couple so I'll post a full review.
One will be for a friend and one will be for my bike I use to commute to work. With a small 12S lipo pack it should do 30 mph or so, I'll be running 15S lipo pack it should be capable of some decent speed. There's been no official word from GM about the current rating of the controller. Their previous magic controller was capable of up to 50a but no doubt with this one being integrated into the hub it'll be less.

With the controller integrated like that it'd make star-delta switching easy if they chose to integrate that feature into the controller!

As long as they don't fail I dont doubt they'll sell well. How many 500w kits with 20a controllers do you think GM sold in the past ? To the average punter who has just enough skill and interest to bolt on the wheel and plug in the throttle, I think this represents a step forward.
The vast majority of their customers aren't like us who want to modify our bikes to the point where they can tear a hole in the time-space continuum :lol:

Hyena said:
According to the GM forums there will be an introductory price of $160 on the day of their release. I'm going to buy a couple so I'll post a full review.

I wouldn't count on that price, he's now saying GM forum members will get a 5% discount.

-R

In all fairness: I am a fan of Golden Motor

I think we are all hard on companies who post adverts on the forums to make a point, yes it works, and you will be put on trial:D

You can learn a lot from our criticisms... as tough and impolite as they might be.

Yup, we are a hard crowd. I think the larger diameter hub is heading in the right direction, in terms of shedding heat. Now that people have range in exess of 10 miles, motor heating is a signifigant design flaw. It only gets worse when us yanks overvolt and over amp everything we get our hands on. Hang in there Golden Motor. Speaking of balls, you are one of the few manufacturers, or wholesalers with the stones to even show up on this forum. Right on.

I'd love to test one, but am scheduled now for more testing for fusin, and heat testing one would have to wait till june anyway. Let us know how the summer goes with your tests aussies.

I have to agree Dogman. I appreciate GM at least trying to communicate with ES. Honestly, this is the largest and most active E-bike forum on the web. I'm sure if the Magic Pie is used within its rated limits, it will work just fine.

Of course, some builders here will over-volt, and over-amp to see where the limits are. I truly suspect that 90% of E-bike owners don't hot-rod their bike. They might read here, but they just want their E-bike to do what its designed to do without the rider having to learn a lot of technical stuff.

Larger diameter motors (9-Continents) have good torque from increased leverage, and having many poles smooths a Hall-sensorless start-up. A thin motor allows a disc brake option and plenty of gears on the cassette within stock frame drop-outs.

Having more choices can only be a good thing. The name doesn't worry me. If early-adopters report that it provides a very good value and good performance right out of the box, it will sell just fine...

Where do the throttle and battery wires exit the motor case? Hollow axle or side plate?...

GoldenMotor said:
yeah you can count on that price, it's 160 and i can swear on my chinese balls.

Lolz, I like this guy. The pc talk gets a little old.

He may be right about the name too. Being memorable may be enough, time will tell.

GoldenMotor said:
yeah you can count on that price, it's 160 and i can swear on my chinese balls. but only on the first day because we need people to test them out.

I misunderstood your response to me on the GM forum where you said;

The release date will be on the main website. Additional 5% discount for forum members.

BTW, does handling your Chinese Balls relieve stress? :wink:

[youtube]sa64I0eonzk[/youtube]

-R

GoldenMotor said:
pesky however precious little customers who want perfection for everything, that's why we want to cater to your needs, but we need time and funds, of which thanks to wal-mart, we have them coming. treat us with respect, and we'll do the same. we are doing a service to this world. also if you didn't really know, we are RnDing electric cars as well as solar energy. That's alot of projects for us, but for me, my job is to take care of the conversion kits business, which is a small section of our company. so that when it prospers and everyone is satisfied, it can be used to fund our other bigger government-related projects.

that's all from me. perhaps your view of GM have changed a little.

Your right my opinion has changed...before this thread I might have considered buying one of your motors. Now that I know that you would view me as "pesky", I think I will pass. Good luck.

StudEbiker said:
GoldenMotor said:
pesky however precious little customers who want perfection for everything, that's why we want to cater to your needs, but we need time and funds, of which thanks to wal-mart, we have them coming. treat us with respect, and we'll do the same. we are doing a service to this world. also if you didn't really know, we are RnDing electric cars as well as solar energy. That's alot of projects for us, but for me, my job is to take care of the conversion kits business, which is a small section of our company. so that when it prospers and everyone is satisfied, it can be used to fund our other bigger government-related projects.

that's all from me. perhaps your view of GM have changed a little.

Your right my opinion has changed...before this thread I might have considered buying one of your motors. Now that I know that you would view me as "pesky", I think I will pass. Good luck.

I'm actually in the opposite situation - while I was initally put off by the negative reviews i've seen of some of the GM hubs, I wasn't considering them. And GoldenMotor had kind of put me off earlier in this thread as well. But that last post sounded like exactly the attitude I want to hear in a company - we have limited resources and are doing the best we can, we're listening to feedback and constantly improving. I think the reference to "pesky" customers was in pure good humor, and I'm very interested to see how the reviews of these motor come back.

GoldenMotor, thanks for taking all the sh*t that E-S member dish out, keep a level head and a respectful and respectable presence on the boards, and know that we very much appreciate the level of interaction we get with those who design and manufacture these motors. We know that you're not stupid, and you know that we are nit-picky to a fault. As was said, it's a wet dream for both consumers and suppliers to have this kind of relationship; both sides just want to see affordable high-quality kits out there, and honest feedback is key to that process. It is in everyone's best interest to get as much feedback as possible, even if some of it is snarky or not immediately actionable. You've earned a fan in this thread, keep up the good work, and good luck!

I am interested in the "Pie" and will surely be looking into getting one!

I was not offended by the "pesky" comment, he could have used something much much worse considering the beating he got in earlier posts! :wink:

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across very well in print and I think GoldenMotor should be aware of that. If I started calling my clients pesky just because they were complaining that they got less than what I told them they were going to get, I would expect to lose business. It is not just based on the "pesky" comment. Goldenmotor seems to have a real 'tude that to my knowledge is not backed up by the quality of the product they sell, at least in the past which is all I have to go on. With their record of customer service that they seem to have the last thing I would think the company would want to do is come on and insult potential future customers. With the quality of other vendors that are on this forum and with GoldenMotors track record I'm not sure why some are impressed by the fact he is willing to insult you. I think Terry @ HTB does an excellent job of catering to his customers needs and from what I have seen and experienced with Jason at Ebikekit.com they are both walking the walk of "catering to our needs" not just talking the talk. His motor may be the greatest thing since sliced bread and if time proves that then I might change my mind abut buying one, but at this point.......I'm not buying what he's selling.

StudEbiker said:
Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across very well in print and I think GoldenMotor should be aware of that. If I started calling my clients pesky just because they were complaining that they got less than what I told them they were going to get, I would expect to lose business. It is not just based on the "pesky" comment. Goldenmotor seems to have a real 'tude that to my knowledge is not backed up by the quality of the product they sell, at least in the past which is all I have to go on. With their record of customer service that they seem to have the last thing I would think the company would want to do is come on and insult potential future customers. With the quality of other vendors that are on this forum and with GoldenMotors track record I'm not sure why some are impressed by the fact he is willing to insult you. I think Terry @ HTB does an excellent job of catering to his customers needs and from what I have seen and experienced with Jason at Ebikekit.com they are both walking the walk of "catering to our needs" not just talking the talk. His motor may be the greatest thing since sliced bread and if time proves that then I might change my mind abut buying one, but at this point.......I'm not buying what he's selling.

I agree with you on all points - I wasn't won over by the sarcasm but rather in spite of it, because this is the first post (that I've seen) where GM actually tries to engage the customers rather than talking down to them (although there is a fair amount of that still).

I still can't believe goldenmotor comes in here with and attitude and tries to promote a product, You could have the best product, but you won't sell ANY if you don't can the attitude.

Goldenmotor needs a better PR rep.

my attitude is simple, if you think GM is all about conversion kits, then you're wrong. some people might think changing the name is easy. but changing the name means changing the brochures, the catalogs, the printed manuals and everything. and that costs more than you can imagine. Each time we go to a expo show, we always have client meetings. We prefer to stay away from end-users, and deal directly with larger distributors. Because everytime a distributor orders, it will be by containers and not by EMS or TNT. This way we save alot of money and our costs can be lowered ALOT. and the real reason we're upping the price online after the 1st day is so that we don't get into direct competition with our dealers. Some people think that embossing the designs on the hub cover(the "silly" paintjob) is a simple thing, but a mould can cost up to 10Gs, changing a mould can cost more than that. it's not a very simple thing, and as far as i can see, all of our competitors, except for BionX, are traders who buy existing motors from the market, assemble and sell the product, which is why their quality is superior to our past motors. Which also explains why a huge portion of a company's funds are splurged into Research and development. Try asking other ebike companies (Other than BionX) to make a new motor. Again i can swear on my chinese balls that they won't spend that kind of money, investing into something that might fail. Magic Pie has failed multiple times before, ever since last year. Wiring problems, speed problems, controller problems, regen problems, just look at our forums we are constantly solving problems and sending magicpie prototypes to people who have the skills and knowledge. We can choose to sell the product, and just like all of the past complaints, everything happens again. However, this time we held back, gave extreme pressure on our engineers and designers to make it perfect, so that the next time some dude rides a food-related motor with a silly paintjob, people will think of GM. and you people will remember my "lousy" attitude. But believe me, you won't find a second rep that will talk sh*t when given sh*t. Why? Because i'm not all salesman/marketer, I am also a dude with a personality, and i'm not a do-not-talk-back-to-your-customers-no-matter-what rep, because those reps are all boot-lick-your-customers-to-earn-their-money and i don't like doing that. there's a chinese saying "Bu Da Bu Xiang Shi" which translates to "Never been more familiar with a person whom you fought before". I don't need many people saying how fast i reply e-mails and whether i speak english or not, because after this project, whether it succeeds or fails, i will move on into the RnD myself, and leave ebike forums, PR and marketing to the stereotypical people which you might like, the kind of rep that never offends, and is able to take over 9000 gallons of sh*t, but never speaks back.

spinningmagnets said:
Where do the throttle and battery wires exit the motor case? Hollow axle or side plate?...

Side plate, see THIS PIC
Easy upgrades for those of us who can't leave a stock motor alone :p

Hyena said:
spinningmagnets said:

Side plate, see THIS PIC
Easy upgrades for those of us who can't leave a stock motor alone :p

The cables exit from something called the "Pie Hole".

-R

Back