GoldenMotor Magic Pie.

And THAT ...is the rest of the story....omg!

GoldenMotor said:
Try asking other ebike companies (Other than BionX) to make a new motor. Again i can swear on my chinese balls that they won't spend that kind of money, investing into something that might fail.

Might want to be carefull with your balls.... Crystalyte seemed to not mind helping out with a motorcycle sized hub motor.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7718

Personally I don't care about any of this PR/marketing stuff. I'll wait for the reviews.

If the product is good, people will buy it.

Amen, as long as the people who run the companies think end users, especially experimenters are a "necessary evil" (at best), youre leaving a hole in your business model you could drive a truck through (The one where a competitor who builds good motors AND listens to customers / acts on input) Eats your lunch for you.

i've reread the multiple threads on this & it doesn't seem to have been splaiind yet.
some insight might help as to what's the significance or meaning of 'magic pie' that it's originally translated from, that clearly some designer felt the name was a winner?
the n.a. ebike market is nothing compared to asia so the name probably does cater to the target audience.

and to mr. gm;
i know it's tough to not take it personal but it's all just good natured ribbin over merely the name.
as a chronic wise-ass i'm finding it hard to resist piling-on.
on first blush everyone seems otherwise favourably impressed with the product & if it performs as advertised u can bet the name will be readily overlooked.

still, it *is* funny as hell, wish u could see it.
here's an example in reverse.
according to producer Gary Marshall, the sitcom Joanie loves Chachi was reeely popular in korea much moreso than anywhere else.
reason being the word 'chachi' is supposedly korean for penis.
hope that sheds some light.

thanks for piling on. i'm don't really feel offended in this forum. i've seen much worse during my internship with some other custmr svc company. it's all just fun and games.

Magic pie indeed my Chinese friend.

From one in your face person to another.

Here is what my nimble wife just draged 15kms home on a Golden motors black 36v hub at 48v. Thats 30 km round trip the motor was a little warm.

Magic pies for the whole family.jpg.

Magic pies 2.jpg

There are two 44 litre bags of potting mix in this pile.

Now if this Magic pie motor is as good as my 2 yo golden black hub with 200 watt 36v stamped on the housing I swear you have a real winner on your hand regardless fo the name.

I dont care if you call me a funny boy or whatever I love this thing.

I love your attitude, GM. 8) Comparing a motor manufacturer to a retailer is comparing apples to oranges. Unfortunately there hasn't been a GM retailer in North America that compares with High Tech Bikes, Ebikes.ca, or Ebike kit-tm. Just a bunch of ebayers, and others based in Asia. So the CS just hasn't been there the way we like it. A north american retailer could simply call it anything he wanted in his own literature or website, just as the clyte vendors do some using 5304, 5303, and others phoenix and brute.

As for modifications, I doubt any of us would have any trouble modding one, relocating the controller if we wish to. We love to take it apart before we even run stuff. :roll: 8)

I bet Joanie loves Chachi, especially after a few stiff drinks. :lol:

Golden Motor Main Office :

Golden Motor Technology Co Ltd.
367 Tong Jiang Zhong Road
#608 Suncity Business Center
Changzhou, Jiangsu
CHINA 213000
Tel: 0519-82080666
Fax: 0519-82077166

Golden Motor Location Map

USA Office:

Golden Motor USA Inc.
8261 E Evans Road
Suite 103
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
USA
Fax: (480) 948-3163
Tel: 480-234-8456

Europe Office:

DeVi-Comfort BV
Poel 9c
1713 GL Obdam
The Netherlands
Tel: +31-(0)72-5020860
Fax: +31-(0)72-5314826
Email: info@devi-comfort.com

More to come, too many urls not just two.

Authorized Distributors/Dealers:

Asia Pacific Region

ECO GREEN TECH CO.,LTD.
4F,SCIENCE BLDG.,149-9,YATAP-DONG,
BUNDANG-GU,SUNGNAM-SI
GYUNGGI-DO
KOREA 463-816
Tel: +82-31-706-8990
Fax: +82-31-706-8999
Email: sales@ecogreentech.co.kr

Europe

Barino GmbH
Spiel-Sport- Freizeit
Gebertschwil 591
9203 Niederwil b. Gossau SG
SWITZERLAND
Tel: + 41 71 390 05 83
Fax: + 41 71 390 05 87
Email: barino.workshop@bluewin.ch

Cycloboost
Chemin de la Croix d'Ardit
3 lieu dit Costeriou
33 270 BOULIAC
FRANCE
Tel: +335 56 68 1995
Email: contact@cycloboost.com

ELECTRO-MOBILE Scandinavia AB
Apoteksvagen 13
KNIVSTA
SE-741 42
SWEDEN
Tel: +46(0)18 341701
Email: electro-mobile@telia.com

G.E.O. Bike
Vicolo della Tettoia 5
10074, Lanzo Torinese, (To)
ITALY
Tel: +39 3406287156
Fax: +39 3356623954
Email: emilia.grimaldi@alice.it

North America

West Edge eBikes
3400 Harbor Ave SW #110
Seattle, WA 98126
USA
Tel: +1425-296-6127
Email: info@westedgeebikes.com

GBikes Canada
1242 Alexandra Ave.
Mississauga ON
CANADA, L5E 2A5
Tel: +1-905-990-1344
Email: garysalo@goldenmotor.ca

Arizona eBikes 7755 East Gelding Drive
Suite C-106
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
USA
Sales: fun@azebikes.com

Maybe needs updating.

The guy I bought my hub built a mighty boy Lfepo4 car and sells and distributes all sorts of stuff, but thats just dumbs Australians, we couldnt compare to anything anyone in this world can do.

I guess I'm just a happy days fanboi too.

Why dont you rename theses forums Ebikes.ca Ebike kit-tm

I always get that feeling that this place is just that.

Or better still should be.

My god how important is this name of a hub youre not going to buy anyway.

Sure Ebikes.ca Ebike kit-tm, they are good and I dont doubt that, I would never go on for pages dissing their business,

Way too many fanbois.

$160 sounds like one of the cheapest ways to get into e-biking. Increased reliability usually comes at a premium.

317537 said:
My god how important is this name of a hub youre not going to buy anyway.

Sure Ebikes.ca Ebike kit-tm, they are good and I dont doubt that, I would never go on for pages dissing their business,

Way too many fanbois.
I really don't think that has much to do with it. It's easy to dislike GM when the only contact you have looks down on everyone he is talking to.

I've never had any experience with customer service from ebikes.ca, or ebike-kit.com, even though I have my Cycle analyst and motor from those two places. My motor is modified with a few relays inside, and a whole lot of extra wiring. If I had an issue I would fix it my self, not say that it was their fault and expect them to.

I didn't like the vibe I got when Russell said he would prefer an all black model. GM said "why so when it over heats you can return it and we'd have to fix it?" (paraphrasing). Later he said that it was cost prohibitive, and that is an understandable reason to not have a different case for the motor. If he had said that from the start, rather than start out with a hostel attitude, he wouldn't seem like such a jerk in my book. However, that is the whole reason I don't like him. At the slightest hint of criticism, (positive or not), he gets so defensive with a chip on his shoulder.

I realize that now it is obviously too late to change the name of the motor. However, I wonder if when it was first brought up that people thought it was a bad name, it would have been too late.

Thanks to Golden motor for bringing forward a new product with some useful refinements. The magic pie project is different, has some interesting solutions to me, and would be a perfect thing for the many people who ask me about my bikes, "How can I get one of those?"

I also think that the seat post mounted battery box as shown may be an interesting item as well. When is the first day of issue coming, goldenmotor? I really want in on that introductory day.

Banter on this forum is interesting, and reveals personality. Contempt and ridicule are often found on bulletin boards. There is really no price to be paid by posters in general when they convey those things. Those behaviors by a vendor could be self destructive, and are quite different from simple honest directness.

I can actually make some sense of the magic pie, with the split motor casings resembling a pie plate, and it's operation being the magic...

Bob

tostino said:
I didn't like the vibe I got when Russell said he would prefer an all black model. GM said "why so when it over heats you can return it and we'd have to fix it?" (paraphrasing). Later he said that it was cost prohibitive, and that is an understandable reason to not have a different case for the motor. If he had said that from the start, rather than start out with a hostel attitude, he wouldn't seem like such a jerk in my book. However, that is the whole reason I don't like him. At the slightest hint of criticism, (positive or not), he gets so defensive with a chip on his shoulder.

I realize that now it is obviously too late to change the name of the motor. However, I wonder if when it was first brought up that people thought it was a bad name, it would have been too late.

Russell said:
GoldenMotor said:
It is NOT a paint job, it is exterior embossed to radiate heat, plus the silver colour REFLECTS heat. thank you very much! intelligent people.

Whatever, just offer an ALL BLACK motor for people who wish to be more discreet.

-R

This how that went down. Whatever just gime something that will overheat. Well dah!

I dont 100% agree with the name but rather banter I put some effort in to giving up something better with little hostility.. Its about the motor and what it does.

Ther internal controller isnt what I would want but as another poster suggested too many controllers get fried because people overvolt and then want to return the item saying "it wasnt me". Ive seen a lot of this happen in the PC industry with overclockers pushing the limits with little ot no knowledge about how to go about it.

This motor seems up to the task but again some suggest bypassing the controller anyway. It wasnt me! :shock: :lol: You'll prolly find those kits on ebay.

My GM hub barely gets warm even with a whole load of stuff on the back so Im guessing that this is not going to be an issue.

There has been flame after flame and I will give this GM member some licence for being human under pressure.

Every one has their buttons, hidden quirks and adversities but I feel that there is something more going on here than just the dissing the name.

I have an early golden motor, 36V 500W, And except for the seemingly small Dia axial with a rare thread pitch, I have no problems.
I hope I catch the first day sale and look forward to trying this treat. :lol:

Ok, guilty of being a fanboid. But LOTs of folks come here asking "who should I buy from?". The list of great vendors is very short. The list of ok vendors is pretty long, and those that really suck seem to have a new ebay name monthly. As far as I know nobody retailing GM has made the great list yet.

When I recomend a member buy a certain motor, I'm often recomending the vendor a lot more than I am the motor brand.

It's my Magic Pie
At 48V it will really fly
Here comes a long, steep hill
Will the big motor keep the thrill
Or will it overheat and the controller fry?

OK, the name is a big odd but that is OK by me. If it runs at 48V and 20 amps, the large plates on the sides should keep the FETs cool. For GM, integrating the controller might be a good thing, wonder how many controllers get fried because people connect them wrong? Pretty simple to hook up a 3 wire throttle and battery cable to the hub motor. Love the "pie hole" design, all hub motors should be made that way. So it is large diameter for torque and cooling, narrow to fit in any bike frame with a disc brake, weighs less than 14 pounds and will run 24/36/48V?

$160 on day one and $400 for a Headway 48V/10Ah pack, throw in a throttle and wheel build up and the entire kit is under $700. It might be a really nice setup for those that want to just ride regular roads for 15 miles or so. Very interesting, I'm a fan of the upcoming X5306 and 9C motors but this is one to watch. 8)

In attachement I lightened-up the original picture so we see the frame better.

Question: Will this (or a similar) full-suspension setup be available to customers who want to avoid installing a kit?

I doubt it, that's just an off the shelf giant bike, shipping from China would cost a fortune. I'm sure you'd come out in front cost wise to buy the kit and get it fitted by a local bike shop if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.

The beauty of the MP (lets all just call it the MP shall we!) with no controller is its basically only requires bolting on the wheel and connecting up 2 wires. Not that mounting and wiring up a controller is hard for the majority of people, but it neatens up the install and cuts dont on the number of wires you have to hide. I'm not sure how GM have configured the wires leaving the hub, but it makes sense to have 2 heavy gauge power wires and a seperate single multicore lead to run to the handlebars with the throttle, e brake and cruise control wires.

Ok, to sum up:
1)too much doubt about overheating
Reviews will be coming up

2)quality concerns @ 160USD
that's only the 1st day, and i didn't announce it on the website, this is so that the buyers of the first magic pies will be all professionals.
After that it's going above 250USD, with a shipping fee and battery it's going to be over a thousand USD.

3)Price/dealers
So each complete kit with shipping is over a thousand USD. Expensive enough...
BUT! that's the reason why there are dealers. Perhaps when you see our price list for dealership you will get that :O look on your face, because you will never believe how incredibly low the rate is for our dealers. Why? because our distributors and warehouses order by large containers, that takes care of many things, cheaper shipping fees, no need to bribe the customs, no need to give ChungHwa cigarettes (140USD per box) to high officials just to convince them that our batteries are safe and that we are not terrorists, also, we can do this world a service by lowering all the costs of production to attract more buyers. More buyers = less cars = less pollution = happy earthlings. Also, we are developing frames so that it fulfills consumer's "high-class" needs.

4)Problem with my attitude
I don't look down on people, i look down on some of the stuff they say. I believe in the golden rule, treat others the way you wish for them to treat you. So the way some members are treating me, i will treat them back in the same way. And i can tell you, you will never find another rep that speaks like me. Why? because i am not all bootlicks-your-customers and bark-at-your-competitors. I am a person with personality, be it great or ungreat. But i play things fair, and this "fair" means being logical. For all the past complaints: sorry i wasn't in GM yet back then. But do you see how much have changed? at least some?

5)Magic Pie name and paintjob
The name was made up on the spot by myself. Call it bad taste or whatever, as long as someone says " magic pie " and you immediately think about GM, then it has served it's purpose. The paintjob is not a paintjob, as you can see from the close up photo, it is a protruding section on the hub cover, and on the "paintjob" it is ribbed to increase it's surface area. The shape of the "paintjob" was designed by TOM, our project engineer. It is made to look like a Rolls-Royce Jet Engine when it spins. Maybe the video quality wasn't high enough, but if you were one of the few hundred dealers, testers, businessmen who have visited our company in china, then you would know what i mean.

6)Why the big discount?
As a marketer, I like to test the response of the market. However doing it through dealers will be a long time, so we have to do it online. So for that first day, the response and the number of sales will determine how much a dealer would order, it is also a rough guideline for our dealers who haven't dealt with a product so new. If the response is great, then i can finally take the figures to philip, for him to fund me in advertisements, complete-bike-manufacturing, improving every aspect of the product. For example, in that GIANT MP picture, you can see that the front fork has no disc brakes. But 5 days after the picture was taken, our head project engineer, mr.He has changed it to ZOOM front forks that has disc brakes. Also we changed the Disc brake clamp to a better quality one, which takes care of the overall look of the bike. We are also going to take care of every little detail of the bike, whether it is the colour of the new rear rack, the patterns of the tyres, or simply the length of the wires.(As you can see the wires are too long on that photo, the excessive wires are weaving around the rear suspension). So in order to do this, i must convince philip to pump in more funds to this project, and he only looks at figures, not how great the product is, for him, end-result matters most.

7)New rear rack and bike.
Yes the new rear rack, however minor adjustments must be made before we put it on sale, also we have attached 2 stabilizers (You will see what i mean soon) to the rack so that the battery doesn't swing out of place when you take a corner or do a drift. The new bike frame from GIANT, look really good but if you here you would see that it was a modified frame from another bike. Hence we have thought about making this a GM bike. We would first use the korean market to test the response. If it is good, then we would ask our bike frame supplier (who is my project engineer's high school friend) to make a modified version of it.

8)Fanboys
I'm a fan of Lamborghini. There was a joke about our staff working hard to sell electric bikes so that they can buy cars.

Great idea ribbing the side covers. That, along with the larger diameter may make my comments about overheating it a lot of hot air blowing out my pie hole.

Part of our problem with the name may be because when you say pie, we may not think food. Ever heard the american slang, fur pie? But like I said, an american dealer could just call it the electron or something in his own marketing. You are correct though, the name does get remembered, that could be the most important thing.

Back