GREAT Commute This AM!

geeeyejo1

1 kW
This is the third time I have taken my new build to work - really starting to get the feel of things. With a little pedaling I was able to use only 3.28AH for the 5 mile ride. On the West Side Highway bike path in NYC I was able to get her up to 29MPH (flat run not downhill) with pedaling - smooth as silk on that deserted path at 6:45AM! Happy with the speed as between the bike and myself we are topping the scales at over 300lbs! The Gary Fisher really handles the power well and the Vbrakes with Koolstop pads provide confident braking. The sprung Brooks B67 coupled with a suspension seat post provides great comfort and smooths out any bumps. Really can't wait for Spring and some warmer temps so I can enjoy the ride even more!

dnmun said:
keep charging.
Thanks - have been taking my charger to work (well padded in a backpack) and charging after every run as well as overnight every other night this week (last run before today was Sunday night...) So far very happy with the battery - especially considering I have been riding in exclusively freezing temperatures...

Then you should be really happy the first time you get to ride in 85F weather.

Glad to hear you are digging it. You can save a lot of money, if not the planet, with that ebike commute. It can get to be so enjoyable, you want it to last longer, especially in the AM.

Stashing a spare charger at work really worked great for me.

If you're commuting regularly, buy a charger for work. I've lost a charger by carrying on my bike too much. They tend to have heavy components that don't take shock well (separate from the PC board, etc.). A small charger is probably fine since you'll likely be there 8 hours or so.

I have a Gary Fisher too, an old hard-tail Tassajara. It's a pretty light mtb that I converted and it's been pretty awesome, granted it's my first so I have nothing to compare it to ebike-wise. Actually it's my first bike I've had since out of the parent's home, it's about 20 years so I'd guess it's a 93-94 or so. I've taken good care of it over the years, usually keeping it inside, etc. Still has all of the original hardware on it.

Totally agree on the charger at work. Due to charger woes (or so I thought) I have a charger at home, a charger at work and one I keep in my pack. In addition I now carry around 30A fuses for my battery, 6A 5x20mm fuses for my chargers as well as a small multi-meter in my pack as well as keeping one at home.

I can get to work in about 20 minutes by car, depending on lights, etc. I can get to work pretty consistently in 30 minutes by bike so time-wise it's really not a bad sacrifice (although admittedly winter prep time takes longer on the bike).

Your are hooked! And it is a good thing. :D

The second battery charger encouragement is a very good idea. The fan in my 12ah charger started to make noise last week so today I gave it a good look-over. Turns out one of the mounting screws fell out. Sometimes I carry it around in a padded back-pack, but not lately. Somehow it fell out anyway. So chargers can rattle apart. And, it never hurts to have backup components with ebikes.

:D

Back