Greyp eBikes

I am FOR free speech, and I actually want to hear people who have opinions that are different than mine, but...is there any way to surgically move the non-Greyp posts to a new thread in the "pub" section ("High powered bicycles, or E-motorcycles with pedals?")

This thread will show up in a Google search for Greyp, and ES will end up looking like a bag full of irritable cats on espresso.

As for me guys i don't care about the law placed on electric bikes that's why i installed a police detector on my bike to slow down when i hear a beeping sound on my device informing me there is a police around ,other than that i don't ride slow on the road :twisted:

Chalo said:
the ones who cause problems often don't acknowledge that there are problems
Same goes for people flogging their righteous dead horse opinions on internet forums it seems...

Anyway +1 for taking this off topic discussion about high powered bikes to another relevant thread. I dont completely disagree with ALL the comments in opposition (or more correctly I can see where their side of the arguement stems from ) but I agree this is not he place for it.

Seems the exact place for it. It has to be a bicycle first, then an electric bicycle. Just saying. Not agreeing with another's opinion is a poor excuse for prior censorship. If you believe in what your are writing, that alone is enough for you to feel secure and not have to resort to banning free speech.

No it isn't. Why pollute what should be a place for info on the Greyp, an excellent new model from an established manufacturer. Nobody's freedom is under threat. It is you that seeks to limit people's freedom when you agree with wrongheaded strategies to deny the viability of these machines to efficiently transport people. Chalo and the 2 other people that agree with him should discuss it elsewhere.

Back to the bike, it says on their website:

Driving modes

Most EU countries consider two-wheeled electric vehicles as motorcycles if they can reach a speed in excess of 25 km/h and have more than 250 W of power. The G-12 has a special mode to comply with the regulations for road vehicles – which limits the speed and power. Still, the top-speed is just a tap on the touch-screen away when you need it.

No need to pedal

You can pedal if you want, assist the motor or drive the G-12 like a motorcycle. It will reach 65 km/h without any assistance by the rider. You never need to sweat riding up a hill again!

So I assume it is both pedelec AND throttle operated, since it is both EU compliant AND capable of 65 kph without pedalling in Speed mode. I think this is a great way to explore new possibilities for long range commuting, where you can go long distances in a short period of time in non-populated areas, then switch to Road Legal mode on entering populated areas. I ride on empty rural backroads where nobody cares if I'm doing 65 kph...then when I get to town I switch to 200W mode...and guess what...nobody cares.

It simply is not the right thread for this kind of discussion. How hard can it be to get it? It seems very hard for some of us here.

When people stop putting pedals on e-motorcycles and trying to pass them off as bicycles, then we can stop talking about it. Until that time, we don't need noobs, lurkers or anybody else operating out of an ignorant impression that something like the Greyp is a bicycle. It's an e-motorcycle with pedals stuck on it, which affects both the places where it can be responsibly ridden and the administrative burden of operating one legally on public rights-of-way.

E-bikes and other LEVs are awesome, and there should be more of them-- in the streets and on motor-accessible trails, upholding their responsibilities, generally being respectable and showing the way forward.

When that happens, we can begin to make the case that e-bikes and other LEVs are socially beneficial and non-threatening, and should have reduced or waived fees and insurance requirements compared to stinking gas motor vehicles. But we won't get there with fast e-bike riders skulking in our bicycle infrastructure and dodging their obligations by pretending their rides are bicycles. Such conduct de-legitimizes e-bikes that don't fit the bicycle performance profile. Now is the time when those things should be gaining legitimacy, not avoiding it.

It is perfectly acceptable IMO to have pedals on a greyborg or stealth type e- motor bike. They will if they pedal efficiently on flats and slight down grades to extend the battery life potentially significantly. On side walks I can not accept them as justified, as I can not accept pedal only bikes or conventional motor bikes. For public paths a "PIT" program like the one F1 cars use while in pit lane makes sense and should be adopted widely to keep them in check. Without this or some sort of agreement on mixed use paths, I see the collision coarse coming with legislators on them unfortunately. Advertizing this type of bike with a helmetless nice young lady riding down a sidewalk is just asking for this type of criticism and potential trouble.

Agreed.. completely. ( edit*(*(to chalo's comment above )

Around here ( moncton ) i don't consider any path, a " bicycle only " lane, the city is adding bike lanes with BSO's painted on them, the more they add the better, however, it's a transition thing and bike lanes bring you to sudden high traffic streets going 60 kph... it's the joke of the town..

Being out there riding the lanes on my 100v bike, almost the only bike out there for kms on end.. alongside traffic going 60 kph.. I do nothing but help people consider alternative means of transportation, at least if i'm matching their speed, they get a longer look..

When i use Pedestrian trails, on my 100v ebike, i'm often the only soul out there, not a soul in sight, the trails are usually too rough to be going overly fast, if i have the trike with dog in trailer, old fat guys on wall mart mtb's pass me, and i really don't give a crap... i'm having fun.. my own way and as long as i'm not hurting anyone on purpose, i shall keep having fun.

The car is the golden standard out here.. ymmv of course.

If it could be registered, then it could be ridden on our paths legally because on many paths mopeds are allowed. In Germany 45pedelecs can be registered, so why not Greyp then.
No big deal, it"s only an inch away from legality. If they would adjust it to fit in 45pedelec class, it would have a great market. They could make it lighter too then. PAS is stupid requirement, unefficient and even dangerous in urban enviroment. What we need is larger paths for these kind of machines, coz these kind of machines are the future. Technology is not gonna go backwards, it goes forward all the time. What city is first to build new, larger paths for E-bikes? This will happen, sooner or later. It"s unrealistic policy to try to regulate machines to fit in the old, worn-out path network. New technology, new paths. With these kind of bikes, new good path network and charging network provided, mobility of people will grow a lot.
Greyp should try to register it in Germany. it"s not that far off from their requirements. What happens in Germany, happens in Europe to some extent sooner or later.

speedmd said:
Advertizing this type of bike with a helmetless nice young lady riding down a sidewalk is just asking for this type of criticism and potential trouble.
..she also overtake the motorcycle rider :D

the vid is soo damn good made! respect!!

Eskimo said:
If it could be registered, then it could be ridden on our paths legally because on many paths mopeds are allowed. In Germany 45pedelecs can be registered, so why not Greyp then.
No big deal, it"s only an inch away from legality. If they would adjust it to fit in 45pedelec class, it would have a great market. They could make it lighter too then. PAS is stupid requirement, unefficient and even dangerous in urban enviroment. What we need is larger paths for these kind of machines, coz these kind of machines are the future. Technology is not gonna go backwards, it goes forward all the time. What city is first to build new, larger paths for E-bikes? This will happen, sooner or later. It"s unrealistic policy to try to regulate machines to fit in the old, worn-out path network. New technology, new paths. With these kind of bikes, new good path network and charging network provided, mobility of people will grow a lot.
Greyp should try to register it in Germany. it"s not that far off from their requirements. What happens in Germany, happens in Europe to some extent sooner or later.

i was thinking about it :)
3 options:

1. Pedalec 25kmh
2. 45Pedalec [registered with license plate and insurance
3. Off-road [no limits]

That could be really cool.
And i dont see any issues with the law. I have a car with top speed of 250kmh where max speed limit is 130kmh [motorway]. My car is legal. If i go over 130kmh on motorway or over 90kmh outside of town, i'm driving too fast according to law and can get a speed ticket. Same here...

wojtek said:
3 options:

1. Pedalec 25kmh
2. 45Pedalec [registered with license plate and insurance
3. Off-road [no limits]

I was think of the same. You can drive LEGALLY on the streets through the city and can joke with cars, mopeds 8)

flathill said:
The Greyp will be legal on our boat
Yea, after 17 hours of pedaling to support the power of appliances for the elite that own the boat.

Or you can hook the bike up to a paddle boat and it could go super fast.

yeah I'm trying to make a sea kayak and ebike in one for commuting
won't be using a hub motor
ironless

[youtube]XjJAKuVz-Gc[/youtube]

Back