Hall sensors vs controller

OK, I'm getting more tired of this then you'all but bear with me for just a minute longer. I left the motor alone yesterday and allowed the problem to stew in my subconscious mind, a trick that often works for me. This morning I went to try checking the Hall sensors again according to Fechters instructions and found I had left my 9V battery connected and it had drained to 5 volts which I thought appropriate as Fechter used 5 volts when he tested in his tutorial.

Well, 9 volt battery drained to five volts was connected to the black and red wires on the multi pin connector, a magnet was placed on top of the Hall sensors and a lead from the BLACK multi pin connector was connected to each of the single pin large yellow, green and blue wires and they all had the same voltage showing. Then I took the magnet off and did it again. There was a difference of about 1.5 volts. I repeated the process with the same results.

This may mean the motor is allright. It may mean I'm still not testing properly. But....if when the new motor and controller arrive from EV Depot can I simply hook the old motor that I think may be OK up to the new controller? If indeed I'm wrong and the motor is blown will it in turn blow the controller? Should I start putting the motor back together again?
Thanks again.
Mike

Hey I have been there! just set aside the old motor and hook up the new equipment. If your unsure of how to test or replace components than be safe rather than sorry and send it out to a pro. If the motor blew your hall sensor/sensors, than whatever caused it has to be figured out. your old motor could blow your new controller easily if it has a short somewhere. I was lucky with my mishaps they were quick and sheared off the wires almost instantly. I would just order some new hall sensors $3.00 each and get a knowledgeable person to install them on your old motor or keep it for parts.

Back