Harbor freight lithium??

dequinox

10 kW
I seriously doubt the 12000 Ah spec... but has anyone torn one of these apart yet?

http://www.harborfreight.com/Lithium-Ion-Jump-Starter-and-Power-Pack-62749.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzg1NzM2NjUiLCJza3UiOiI2Mjc0OSIsImlzIjoiNjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTE4MTQifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1417b&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c1417b

Since its for a car jump-start, I would guess inside there is (edit: as the post below points out, the ad states it is LiFePO4). I suspected it was LiPo due to the need for high current.

There's no way they're using lipo for that and yep right on the page it says lithium iron phosphate. Huge difference. BTW, I started my 2 liter 4 cyl car with like 3 Ah of LiFePO4 for over a year.

Hillhater said:
WalMart equivalent had a good test...
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74610&hilit=Day6
Yeah that thing did work BUT. It claimed 12000mah also and they appeared to be 3s 4AH cells not 12000 mah cells. It did work for him and it lasted a year or so. Many questioned the project and said, no way. Well in the end it did work.

Dan

Oh so one thing with these lifepo4 lead acid replacements is they often use an "equivalent" amp hour rating which is supposed to be the usable amount from an equivalent lead acid battery but is usually overstated even so.

This would make more sense as 12000 milliwatt hours. I found the same thing with ultra fires and a lot of the cheap 18650 cells... people who tested them would find a significantly lower mah rated cell than claimed, but when you multiplied the mah capacity they got with the voltage you'd get near the claimed capacity on the cell. It seems to me it's possibly a units problem.

I guess it depends what you want it for.
Car emergency starter ?... It probably works
Quick charger for your phone...probably works
Back up for house solar...not likely !
Shop around, there are similar much cheaper...like the Wallyworld offering.

It seems like a lot of these types of boosters are adding the Ah capacity of all of the cells in them, even though they are in series. This could be as low as 4S, but 5S or 6S would give a little extra voltage to dump current into the starter batter for a quick charge. If is a 4S, then 12000/4 = 3Ah per cell. If it's a 6S, then 12,000/6 = 2Ah/cell. It isn't really right, but I've seen others rated that way, too. Maybe it's due to trying to compete on paper with a 17Ah lead acid "booster" battery (at 12V). If they were honest and said these were 3Ah at 12V, it would look bad by comparison.

There are a few youtube videos of people using 4 of the old 26650 A123's to start cars - some even in cold weather, but I don't think the batteries were that cold. Those were 2.3Ah LiFePO4 cells. I put a 4s2P set of those cells in an booster that came with 17Ah lead acid when the LA battery died (3 years old). It has started a few cars.

Back