Hardtail downhill (New Project)

Neovin

100 mW
Got my new bike to convert, just collecting the materials and parts needed but here's a play around with paint on what I'm thinking.

IMG_20120325_180845.jpg

I'm aiming to make this quick off road, light and strong.
Just need:
Aluminium plate 12mm
bearings
timing belts and pullys
front freewheel
Batteries!!

are you going to drive through the cranks? (pedal chain)

No problem
freewheel cranks:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35&osCsid=3r07r7k1onogkjth0nd1dvph62

Or the whole list of everything you need. I have used these guys a few times. They ship FAST & are super easy to deal with.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=3r07r7k1onogkjth0nd1dvph62
they have wide bottom brackets also for additional clearance (which is allways good)

for the freewheel on the crank I may sugest a acs crossfire in (I think 20 tooth matches up with the boring pattern on the sprockets but I am not totaly sure atm might be 22????)

the cheper dicta is weak & the pawles tend to fail....the big money eno only has a single bearing & it gets really floppy really fast. The crossfires are uber tough but lack the nifty flange to mount easyer.

That ought to get you into trouble hehe.

oh & if you fill out your profile properly we could recomend suppliers more acuratly. if you are in europe or south america it will make a differance.
have fun. & good luck.

Cheers Thud for the link, yeah I like how a hardtail handles plus it was in the sale so it ticks the cheap box :)

Oh yeah just found myself some 12mm ali plate 300x1000 whoop :D

Cheers fidel, that is the big question, a123, nanotech, headway, zippy, on and on.
I have a 24v 10ah sla for testing, i think im gunna... no, changed my mind again lol :lol:

go lipo mate. ive never used anything else, and so long as you take care of it its a kitten, jsut one with claws.

this sums it all up pretty well....
file.php

some guys still like helga, cause she's strong and you'll feel warm and safe in her arms. others prefer the higher maintenance lipo, she takes some looking after but she'll blow your mind with every ride :twisted: .

hahahahhahahaha
I prefer Helga :D, not the girl of course.
I know LiPo is great, and .... ok it's powerfull, but what about the battery life??
Do you think that worth Lipo?

Cheers

LiPo's battery life is great. I've unloaded a few of my LiPo's with 67A although they were only specd for 34A (RC applications), and after 2 years they still perform great. I buy all my LiPos at hobbycity.com, I never had a problem with one of their LiPo's, though other people have had some cell failures. (But hey, their LiPos are so cheap!)

The only thing you should be careful with is the external damage, they don't like that! If you let a LiPo fall on the ground from 1 meter high, you can probably throw it in the bin right away, the cell will become very swollen and might catch fire if you unload it (but I've never unloaded a swollen cell lol). I had 1 LiPo catch fire ones, it was in my most powerful RC-car (Over 3kw of power and only weights 7kg) where I forgot to strap down the LiPo ( :lol: ). After a few corners and jumps the LiPo touched the gears and there was smoke coming out of my car, about half a minute later the LiPo catched fire.

I think headways are gunna be my choice, I'm over engineering the powertrain and still not sure if i should get a larger motor.
I have a 6364-230kv at the moment, really don't know what to do.

Neovin said:
I think headways are gunna be my choice, I'm over engineering the powertrain and still not sure if i should get a larger motor.
I have a 6364-230kv at the moment, really don't know what to do.

If you want a reliable bike then stick with the smaller motors, my motor of choice is 6374-170kv it performs well, and seems fine at upto 3.5kw and its a little more easier on the controllers than the 80-100.

Back